Night time cravings

Options
My biggest issue is controlling my cravings after dinner and putting the kids to bed. I finally sit down to relax for the night and my craving for sugar hits, and it usually hits pretty hard. I have been able to fight these cravings, and while I usually feel pretty vindicated and proud of myself, the crankiness and pissed off "Why do I even bother! Why can't I eat what I want! This isn't fair! I don't care!" feelings are usually overwhelming. It isn't usually a feeling of hunger so much as I just want to munch and snack on foods that aren't good for me while I mindlessly watch tv, and I have tested and proven that not snacking at night significantly helps my weight loss.

What are some ways you have found to combat cravings, and keep peace with yourself?

Replies

• ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't try to fight it, I just plan for it. I usually have a snack after the kids go to bed...sometimes it's carrots and salsa, sometimes it's a skinny cow ice cream sandwich...or even a matcha green tea latte. Whatever I'm in the mood for that fits my daily goals. I don't like going to bed hungry...then I feel deprived, and we all know where that leads...
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Fresh, tasty fruit seems to satisfy the cravings...kiwi, pineapple, mango etc., a small, portion-controlled cup of something - apple sauce, chocolate or rice pudding, flavoured yogurt etc., those 100-calories packages of yogurt-covered pretzels and the like, an iced treat (like a yogurt bar or fruit ice). I've also found that having a coffee with sweetener helps but obviously not ideal for night...maybe a sweetened tea or chocolate milk or other beverage?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy. While you're watching TV do something that's not so distracting that you can't follow the show but that you either need to keep your hands clean while doing or something that just uses both hands. I've done cross-stitching and similar crafts or I play a mindless game on my phone. It helps a lot. You might also try keeping the foods you crave the most out of the house. If it's not good for you, it's not really good for the rest of your family, either. The last option is just to make sure you save enough calories for your after dinner treat and make sure what you are eating is portioned properly. There's nothing wrong with eating snacks after dinner as long as they don't put you over your calories for the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner very late so I don't have time to get hungry before bed. But with little ones, that may not be a good option for you. If you crave sweets, save room for something sweet. If you have trouble stopping after you start eating sweets, try something sweet that's not candy like chocolate almond milk, cocoa roast almonds, low fat frozen treats (there are several tasty brands available), a popsicle, fruit with a little chocolate syrup, peanut butter w/ a little maple syrup, whatever you like.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I always save a couple hundred calories for my 9pm snack. Usually it's popcorn. If I have the room I'll throw a little honey and butter on the popcorn. Sometimes I'll slice an apple and saute it in a tsp of butter, cinnamon and a little splenda. Yum....warm apple pie. There's lots of little things you can have so don't work so hard to avoid it, just adjust the way you eat during the day so you have room at night. You'll feel far more satisfied and won't beat yourself up so much.
  • amongstthewildflowers
    amongstthewildflowers Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone, this has to be my biggest struggle lately and it's driving me crazy. I can do so well all day and then in the evening after my daughter goes to bed I just want to relax on the couch and eat crappy junk food. I try to just come on here though and get inspired and motivated by reading everybody's success stories, that usually does help. I will also have a little snack like a Greek frozen yogurt bar or a few dates and fruit.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that when your body is craving sugar at night, it's because it's trying to keep itself awake. Don't know if it's true or not, but basically for the past 15 years, I would eat candy before bed and stay up later (and sleep horribly). Over the past few weeks, after reading that, I stopped the candy and went to bed instead. I fall asleep quicker and sleep moderately better (not like a baby, but full bladders and jiggly beds aren't helping!). Give it a try. Instead of giving in to teh sweet craving, go to bed?
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I save some calories and some carb and fat macros for a treat and allow myself to have it after dinner. If you don't have a medical condition where you literally can't eat what you want, then it is possible to fit whatever foods you like into a healthy lifestyle. Sure, it's more ideal to get your carbs from vitamin and fiber rich veggies and fruits, but if avoiding all sweet foods is causing you to give in and eat them ANYWAY, why not just allow yourself a small amount, fit it in and enjoy an relaxing, night-time snack once the kids are asleep? Sugar will not make you fat. Eating to excess WILL. Believe me, I gave up sugar for a year and only gained more weight by overeating lean meats, fruits and vegetables. FOR A YEAR. I was miserable and getting fatter. Restricting your diet to the extent that you give in isn't going to be sustainable. Even if you reach your goal weight by doing it, it is incredibly likely that you will gain back the weight eventually. Find a way you can eat forever, and just eat a little bit less while you lose the extra pounds.