New (also have a question about net calories)

Options
Hello :) I'm new to myfitnesspal and have heard lots of great things about it. I joined yesterday and so far I like it except one thing - When I entered my exercise today, it added the calories I burned to the calories I have left for the day. Is there a way to make it so I can still see the exercise I did but not have the calories I burned added to my 'Calories Remaining' thing?

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP. You need to factor in the calories you burned to the calories you have remaining. the calories outside of your exercise is what is required for your body to perform properly if you were just to sit around all day. When you add in exercise, you are burning up that supply, therefore needs to be replenished. This willkeep your metabolism going and actually help with weight loss. if your calorie intake is to low, your body will start to store everything that is taken in for fear of it being put into starvation mode, and you will actually start to gain weight. does that make sense?

Hello :) I'm new to myfitnesspal and have heard lots of great things about it. I joined yesterday and so far I like it except one thing - When I entered my exercise today, it added the calories I burned to the calories I have left for the day. Is there a way to make it so I can still see the exercise I did but not have the calories I burned added to my 'Calories Remaining' thing?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP as designed gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That's why calories are added back. The reason people eat their exercise calories is to support lean muscle while dieting. If you want to lose mostly fat....you have to eat enough.

Most people eat a percentage of calories back because MFP guesstimates tend to be generous.... 50-75%.

If you don't want to eat calories back (maybe your weekly goal was very modest, or you calculated using TDEE which includes exercise up front) then A. Over ride calories to 1....or B. Memo in exercise instead of logging.