No motivation to exercise - how do you handle?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lykapal
    Lykapal Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Working out is often the same for me.
    I often don't "feel" like it.

But after I'm done, I'm usually glad.
    Sometimes, those are my best workouts!

And then, after it's over...
    I GET TO EAT! WOOO!

^^^
    That's always my motivation. :blushing:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1) recheck your cal intake vis a vis your size with a TDEE calculator. Make sure you didn't just run out of cals.
    2) recheck your workout schedule to make sure you are including adequate rest days for your intended goals/activity.
    3) recheck your sleep schedule to make sure you are rested enough to do the work you've been doing.
    4) recheck your motivation, did anything happen recently to derail you? damage your self esteem, shift your focus?
    5) if all these check out you just make yourself go. bribe yourself if you have to with rewards. trick yourself saying your only gonna get the clothes on. you're only gonna walk for five minutes. then another 5, and so on until you realize you can actually do it.

NOTE: do not even try step 5 until you have thoroughly and HONESTLY checked the others as number 1 is prolly the first reason why people run out of steam. the few cals are enough for the first several days but that can't last forever and pretty soon your running on fumes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated.

It is an emotion, which means that it's bound to change at some point. If you base your actions on an emotion that is bound to change, your actions are also bound to change.

Take "working out" out of the emotional space in your mind and put it into the practical space where "going to work" lives.

Like Nike says: Just do it.

Perfect.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullsh*t story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”
  • TheWorstHorse
    TheWorstHorse Posts: 185
    Options
    "being motivated" is okay for a month or two of getting started (i love being excited about *kitten* as much as the next guy) but changes predicated on one's emotional state are unlikely to last. just ask anyone that has bought a gym membership on january 2nd or got married after their second date.

at some point, you simply decide that controlling portions, choosing healthy foods or exercising is just what you do, like brushing your teeth in the morning or getting to work on time: you do it because that is what you do. and then you make this decision again and again until it is not a decision anymore. you brush your teeth every morning because you've been brushing your teeth every morning for a zillion days. and it *is* a decision; emotion, feeling, and so on are irrelevant.

if there is any magic to forming long-lasting habits, it is this: do anything two or three hundred times in a row and it is likely you will keep doing it forever, good for you or not.

EDITED for bad grammar. :|
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If it is just one day of feeling unmotivated, just suck it up and do it anyway. If it is a lingering feeling over the course of a week or so, then you may need a break. I take a 3-4 day break and just stay under my calories every few weeks or so if I start feeling burned out. I always come back more motivated than ever.
  • kapetrosky
    kapetrosky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your awesome responses. I got my *kitten* out there and did it. Not gonna lie I dragged myself through every minute of it but I got it done. Thank you for helping me to push through it and stay on track!
  • CarrieLincoln
    Options
    Have you been doing the same routine, workout schedule for the full 73 days? If so, maybe you are bored and need a change. It's best to change up your workout routine every 30,60,90 days so your muscles get confused. Have you stopped seeing results maybe?
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    a.) I generally only do 30 min of exercising (unless its running, then I try to go out as long as I can) but I make it an intense 30 min (I use a lot of Jillian Michaels stuff) - it helps with motivation b/c I tell myself, its JUST 30 minutes! I can do 30 minutes! or if I'm not buying it...

b.) I tell my self if 1 get 15 minutes in and feel like quitting, I can... but I never do bc by then I'm engaged