• _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    ToshSurgery_zpsc1cbe2a5.jpg

QFT
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'd no more listen to a plastic surgeon about dietary matters than I would a mechanic.

Agree
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought u meant/thought that i was already NOT eating meat. Anyways, no I don't want to recomp. Just lose weight. I was happy with my body at 140lbs before, soooo obviously I will be happy with it again at 140lbs.
    Im 5'9" and about 155lbs. Goal is 140.

Why are you adhering to such strict eating requirements? The above stats are within normal range.
    Is there some reason, medically, that you need to lose 15 lbs? Or for you to restrict carbs and avoid meat?

Hello, please reread. I am NOT avoiding meat and I am only restricting carbs to a good level for T1 diabetes. As for the 15lbs loss. I HATE being 155lbs. It's all belly and back of thighs and I want it gone. I felt like such a sexy ***** at 140lbs and I want that feeling back!

Not sure why my question invoked an invitation to reread. I understood you the first time, hence the question of whether there was a medical reason for you to eat the way the Dr recommended. But, I digress.

Now, that you've given some insight as to why you'd like to the lose the extra pounds, might I suggest that perhaps its body fat %/body composition that's the issue? Perhaps building some muscle will help you reshape your body in a way that is more pleasing to you?

ETA: Ultimately, I wish you great luck on your goal.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    ToshSurgery_zpsc1cbe2a5.jpg

I certainly don't think that is a fair comment in this case. Lipidystrophy can be caused by the insulin injections, and can cause the body to reject further doses. Sometimes, people see a plastic surgeon for reason other than vanity...
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think plastic surgeons should stick to plastic surgery.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought u meant/thought that i was already NOT eating meat. Anyways, no I don't want to recomp. Just lose weight. I was happy with my body at 140lbs before, soooo obviously I will be happy with it again at 140lbs.

That's not necessarily true. Your lean body mass to fat ratio might be completely different now than it was the last time you were at 140 lbs, meaning that you might end up weighing the same amount but not looking the way you did. I would also suggest focusing more on achieving the body you want in terms of measurements/clothing sizes than the number on the scale by focusing on recomp.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true. Your lean body mass to fat ratio might be completely different now than it was the last time you were at 140 lbs, meaning that you might end up weighing the same amount but not looking the way you did. I would also suggest focusing more on achieving the body you want in terms of measurements/clothing sizes than the number on the scale by focusing on recomp.

^^^ When I exercised and was 19, I looked amazing at 118. When I stopped exercising and turned 22, I needed to be 108 to look the sorta the same that I did at 118 with exercise. Things change!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    The average MD takes about one one-semester course in nutrition. I imagine that a plastic surgeon would not take any more than that either. The good doctor has no idea what he is speaking of......
  • lancelotschu81
    lancelotschu81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    15 lbs away from your goal is very close good for you. You could probably do this with a much less severe plan then the plastic surgeon advised. How many calories do you eat everyday? If you want slow healthy weight loss eat healthy nutritionally dense food which can be sustained over a life time of eating. If you want to lose weight really fast minimize carbs and up your protein. That being said, I am not a doctor. Everyone is different.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    When the doctor said " meat " it does not mean automatically all protein. There still would be fish, milk products, legumes and pulses with protein and other foods. It would however be very difficult and would be if one would cut out the fish also be a low carb vegetarian diet. Not impossible to do.....but difficult, because it takes major planning and above average nutritional awareness to stay healthy while eating like that on a deficit.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think low protein and excessively low carb could give you loss of lean body mass, severe hypoglycemic episodes.you had better talk to your endocrinologist and dietitian before embarking on any such change.i work as an EMT and observing doctors from close quarters,i feel most surgeons and orthopedics have poor conception of physiological issues outside their area of expertise.
    Good luck and take care.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Could he have possibly said low carb OR no meat? I'm pressed to imagine how one would do both simultaneously.

It depends on the definition of low carb. Many say <= 100g per day is low carb, and if you only count net carbs, then it's not too hard to meet that with eating high fiber carbs like nuts, seeds, legumes and vegetables. Vegan protein powder might be a wise addition.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

^^^ When I exercised and was 19, I looked amazing at 118. When I stopped exercising and turned 22, I needed to be 108 to look the sorta the same that I did at 118 with exercise. Things change!
    Yes i understand. Still need to get to 140 and see for myself though right.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The plastic surgeon I seen for insulin lipodysthrophy recommended low carb and no meat for weight loss. This I didn't agree with. You can reduce any food group and lose weight. Why not just reduce every food group a little bit to get your calorie deficit. Low carb I think is good (espeically for me T1 diabetic) but low carb to me is just no stupid sugar lol, (like donuts, cakes, chips, candy etc) Just good sugar like fruits and wholegrains and dairy. My carb intake is around 150grams per day.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this, thoughts? Thanks

If you are not that active and about normal size then 100-150 grams of carbs and 100 grams of protein is enough for most people. The rest of the calories in fats.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    The plastic surgeon I seen for insulin lipodysthrophy recommended low carb and no meat for weight loss. This I didn't agree with. You can reduce any food group and lose weight. Why not just reduce every food group a little bit to get your calorie deficit. Low carb I think is good (espeically for me T1 diabetic) but low carb to me is just no stupid sugar lol, (like donuts, cakes, chips, candy etc) Just good sugar like fruits and wholegrains and dairy. My carb intake is around 150grams per day.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this, thoughts? Thanks

If you are not that active and about normal size then 100-150 grams of carbs and 100 grams of protein is enough for most people. The rest of the calories in fats.

Thanks. Im active as in 30 min of elliptical 3 times a week and some weight training for 20mins 4 times a week. I also work fulltime job (mostly office though and some retail running) and I cook and clean for myself and a 2-year-old. House must always be clean for me - can't stand mess. lol
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    O HAI Barbara
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    O HAI Barbara

Hmmmm, would that be a bad thing? lol
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am a Registered Dietitian, and have worked with diabetic patients for over 12 years. Plastic surgeons, and the majority of doctors don't know squat about nutrition...leave that to us. If you would like to chat one-on-one with me, message me. Meats have zero carbs...everything else is a carbohydrate. What else are you to eat, then?

I had a patient whose primary doc told her to cut out all fruits to lower her blood sugar. He neglected to investigate further what the real cause of her 400's sugar levels were from. #1 she was only checking her glucose 2-3 times per month! #2 she was eating Panda Express (2 entree meal with the orange chicken and Beijing Beef, both of which are breaded and fried and have sweet sauces, plus the side of noodles, PLUS a wonton soup as a side). She was in tears coming to me that she had to give up her delicious fruits. We restructured her food choices and kept all the fruit in, and now her glucose is 115-120 every day. Guess what she cut out?? Panda Express family-sized portions! Magic, presto :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with low carb because it works for me and I like eating fat and protein. I disagree with the no meat though. I like my chicken, beef, turkey and tuna far too much to give it up. Low carb isn't for everyone and that's fine with me.