Running outfit in summer?

bjm223
bjm223 Posts: 36 Member
Hey! I love to go running but lately it has been too hot in the sports leggings I wear. My thighs are big so I would rather not wear shorts. Any ideas on what I could wear or any activities at home that are just as effective? Thanks!

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Put on shorts, go run. Don't let a litte self image issue stop you from doing something your love. Run, thighs will shrink, shorts will get shorter. I know most womens shorts are short, what about picking up some mens basketball type shorts? they tend to be knee length.
  • dontquitcarla
    dontquitcarla Posts: 25 Member
    Fairly expensive but try some proskin leggings because they temperature regulate so you wont overheat in them. Alternatively wear some womens board shorts :D They are comfy enough and a bit roomier in the thigh but not toooo flappy when running x
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Try some light knit capri pants that are around knee length. Long enough to hide the thighs, short enough to still be cool. Also, a light tank top over a sports bra...no need for sleeves. That's what I wear in summer (sometimes just around the house).
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    I wear compression shorts from Target (Champion brand) with a 7" inseam (they also have them in 10" inseam length, so closer to knee-length) so that my thighs don't rub together and chafe. I wear them year-round, and you can put a pair of cute shorts over them if you want. They're lightweight so I don't get too hot running in the summer. I usually just throw on a pair of those and a tank top and I'm good to go... after some sunscreen, of course! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Compression shorts FTW. The ones I wear are a little longer, so I don't feel indecent.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1305205/tek-gear-core-essentials-shape-performance-bike-shorts-womens.jsp

They also have a "Bermuda shorts" option in the same brand.
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    I wear compression shorts from Target (Champion brand) with a 7" inseam (they also have them in 10" inseam length, so closer to knee-length) so that my thighs don't rub together and chafe. I wear them year-round, and you can put a pair of cute shorts over them if you want. They're lightweight so I don't get too hot running in the summer. I usually just throw on a pair of those and a tank top and I'm good to go... after some sunscreen, of course! :)

I second the compression shorts! I get really bad chafing on my thighs if I wear any type of loose or short running short, so I'm always in spandex shorts or compression shorts in the summer. Then a tank top or sports bra on top depending on the weather.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Compression shorts! Target has some, and Old Navy sells them as well. Anything from 5" to 8" will be a good length to be comfortable and prevent thigh chafing.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Walmart has some great inexpensive Danskin compression knee length leggings for around $12. They have several different types of material so you can see what works best for you. Danskin also has a great line of running shorts that come in all kind of colors. They are under $7. I have about 6 or 7 pair of the jogging shorts and wear them just about everyday. So comfy and look like the expensive brands.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Try the sport skorts...compression shorts with an attached (usually cute/hip belly hiding skirt) I love them! I get the compression benefit without the world having to see my "not ready for primetime" jiggle!
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    In the military, we wore compression shorts under our PT uniforms.They came down to right above the knee and everything in place :smile:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Thighs aside - I don't like to run in shorts because I always feel like they are riding up or falling down and getting all twisted.

I stick to compression capris that hit just below the knee.

I love Under Armour Heat Gear stuff - so soft, and light and great bright colours!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    If you don't want to run, just say so. No need to make excuses for it.

I wear capri tights and a tank in the summer. I can't run in shorts.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    There is a kind of "modest running clothes" --typically made for certain religious women who want to keep their thighs covered. I know a few who throw a light/loose skirt over some non-modest wicking shorts. There are also some running dresses with a built-in bra if you want to get fancy. Or go capri as a few mentioned above. Though compression shorts do the job pretty nicely also. Mine go just above my knees.

P.S. You're wearing shorts in your pic and your thighs show. I wouldn't consider those "too big" for shorts.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    capris or longer shorts...the only way your legs will get smaller is if you keep exercising. you everyone looks blissful when running, but you are doing it, so people will respect that.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    If heat is your problem, you just need to switch fibers. Cotton is not your friend in running gear. You want something made 100% of technical fibers. There are lots of ladies running tights/leggings in all different lengths. My wife and I wear mostly Under Armour, which is a pricier brand, but there are lots of cheap/house brands that make similar products.

Just remember, if you want to be cool in your running gear, NO COTTON.

Quick search at Academy.com, and I found a BCG Women's Fitted Running Capri for $18. 94% poly, 6% spandex.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    I always used to run in my husband's basketball shorts. They worked great. Very functional and hid everything I didn't want seen :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I would suggest compression shorts.
  • marilynbauer
    marilynbauer Posts: 28 Member
    I really love the Danskin line at Walmart also. They have regular sizes and also Women sizes.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    I am looking into something cooler for summer too, so thanks for posting this OP. Getting some good ideas here!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Shoes, socks, underwear and shorts.
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Wow, everyone has great ideas :) NEVER EVER EVER let your self esteem effect what you wear! If you want to wear those cute yoga booty shorts from Victorias secret, then do it! You will rock what ever you chose to wear! :D
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I usually grab capris specialized for "activity".. Old Navy, Lululemon carry great items. I would suggest though to try shorts, they are often cheaper and you won't get heated so fast in them. When my thighs were "bigger", I used a speciality deodorant stick on my inner thighs to prevent chaffing. Corn starch works too if you can't grab one of the speciality stick
  • bjm223
    bjm223 Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you to everyone who posted on here! Thanks especially to the ones talking about self esteem and things like that! You are too kind :) I will definitely look into buying Compression shorts. Thanks! :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If you don't want to run, just say so. No need to make excuses for it.

I wear capri tights and a tank in the summer. I can't run in shorts.

lol- true that.

I wear capris length fitted tights as well- can't stand baggie stuff.

I cant' wear shorts while running- I lift in shorts- but the chafing and rubbing makes me crazy- plus I need a little compression- that's just TOO much jiggle for this girls jam.

<<<<<<< but clearly shorts- the are wearable- just not for running LOL

the nice thing about shorts that short- is they are only going to go UP so far... if they are already up there.

none fitted shorts are completely out of the question. just too inappropriate.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member
    I really love the Danskin line at Walmart also. They have regular sizes and also Women sizes.

I started walking at 232lbs and wore the Danskin Performance Capris in the summer, the leggings in the winter. Now that I'm down almost 50lbs (185lbs), I'm wearing the running shorts w/ liner. I LOVE the way I feel and look when I put on my bright neon racerback tank and black running shorts!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I'm particularly fond of my tennis skirt- it's cool and hides the fact that my thighs like to eat my shorts when I move.