• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No I love carbs.

fries.gif
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I dropped bread in favor of small thin corn tortillas to hold my sandwiches together. It was a pretty painless transition for me and drops a few empty calories out so I can use them for better things like veggies or lean protein that actually have some nutritional value.

Everyone is always all about calories in / out but the reality is that food can have nutrients that are advantageous to a healthy life so I would rather have more good stuff then empty stuff if given the choice.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I tried and it never lasts. I love sandwiches, pizza bread, bagels with cream cheese, bread pudding, etc....No more cutting anything out. Just eat and stay under!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned weight watchers bread or any light bread. 2 slices for the price of one. I find its better than giving up a healthy sandwich for lunch.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I tried, I couldn't do it.
    I already don't do soda, coffee, tea... But When I tried doing bread, I lasted a week or so before I broke down. I enjoy my bread/grain products (especially rice)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Actually in September I cut out flour and sweets and lost 15 pounds in about 2 months without counting calories.

I added back in sweets as treats once in a while but I'm still off the flour. It works great for me. I have tried the old-fashioned no flour/no sugar thing many times and have found it to be a great way to re-set every time.

I don't anticipate making flour a regular part of my diet again though.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating Gluten for a month and my weight has stayed the same. I occasionally eat some brown rice bread but its all about calories in vs calories out. For those that do lose weight when they go low carb it usually comes back once they reintroduce carbs into their diet.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I am more selective in my bread. I use the Nature's Own that's 80 cals for two slices when I do eat sandwich bread. As far as garlic breads, rolls, etc.. I don't eat them nearly as often and only if it's a really tasty one that I love. I don't eat it just to eat it as I have in the past.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Has anyone cut out bread from there diet and how much weight did it help you loose ?
    Several times, along with other "bad carbs," and every time I regained all the weight I'd lost within a year or so.

I've been maintaining for about a year now by eating what I want within my range of calories and macronutrients - including sandwiches, pizza, cookies, cake, pie, and ice cream - and food has (mostly) taken its appropriate place in my life as (highly enjoyable) fuel for my activities. Logging and adjusting works better for me than punishing myself by eliminating favorite foods.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I won't cut it out, but I have cut it down. A 90 calorie flatbread for lunch instead of a 190 calorie ciabatta bun (mmmm) has made a difference.
  • SaraLily
    SaraLily Posts: 30
    Options
    I didn't cut it out completely.
    I'm allowed 75 grams of carbs per day, or 375gr per week(I am followed by a dietitian). So if one day I eat 100gr or carbs, I can just eat 50 the next day.

I just have a "budget" on how much I can have. So, let's say I want a sandwich for lunch. That's roughly 30gr of carbs. I can still have another 45gr of carbs during my day.

But don't worry. When I say carbs, it doesn't count carbs from fruits and vegetables. Only pasta / rice / sugars. I always try to eat only complex carbs, so, no white bread / white rice, etc...but I have treats once in a while too. You can't be too strict or you'll go crazy...believe me..

It works wonders for me. :)
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am allowed up to 120 carbs per day (diabetic) and that includes fruit and veg so I severely limit bread. It's just not worth it to me. I LOVED bread. Just the smell of it made me hungry.

I personally lose weight MUCH quicker without bread. And my headaches have all but stopped. After about a week, I didn't even want bread. Sometimes I'll have 1 slice of rye with breakfast, but that's cause eggs without toast is weird. I'd recommend trying it, see how it works for you. I'm not on the "no food left behind, everything in moderation" train. If that worked for me, I'd never have been here in the first place. I'm on the "you made me fat you jerk and you must be punished" train :)
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much cut it out not for any other reason is the calories are way too high for what you get. I mean a normal hotdog bun is almost as much as the hotdog. I do use wheat bread when i eat it though and the local bakeries and Amish ladies are now making more wheat bread which helps as i love fresh baked bread.
  • sparilis
    sparilis Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a sensitivity to most grains, so I feel better and I have more energy when I cut out breads, pastas, breakfast cereals, etc. I'm also bothered by legumes, corn, millet, anything with a bran-like outer shell. It causes digestive problems and inflammation. I'm fine with chick peas and rice, but that's about it. I do eat Rudi's gluten-free sandwich bread - made from potato and rice flours. But I try not to have it every day.

You asked about weight - I've been at a plateau for a long time and finally got serious and cut all the grain (except rice) for about a week and dropped 5 pounds. Yes - I know that's a lot, and I suspect it was inflammation more than fat. Still, the plateau broke.I don't expect to see that rate of loss going forward, but I do expect the scale to start moving again.

Also - don't confuse grain-free with low-carb. Not the same thing. Grain-free is about improving digestion and energy levels and decreasing inflammation. Low carb is about depriving the body of carbs to make it burn fat. Different strategies.
  • leonakortessy
    leonakortessy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cut it out last year and I saw the changes on my body. My belly slimmed down, and I felt better. Since then, I eat 50 g microwaved milky oats with a small mashed banana or apple (with cinnanom!) or strawberries (always about 300 kcal). It contains enough CH to begin the day and it's 100 times yummy than any kind of bread! I don't miss bread because my other meals didn't really contained it, only my brekkie. There's this heavy and dark kind of bread, so sometimes I eat a slice with a ham roll and lot of veggies. I think that's a healthier option.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Nope, just can't do it. I have reduced my random consumption of it, but I still have an english muffin every morning because how else would I make my breakfast samich......
  • steffymarie4
    Options
    I have reduced my carb intake by substituting cauliflower in to my diet, i make cauliflower rice and use it to make buns & rolls. I have noticed a big diff and its low in calorie and filling.
  • tarnaford92
    tarnaford92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply's, im going to cut down on the amount of bread I eat ,therefore I wont be constantly thinking I want to eat bread :) ...and I suppose it does make sense to cut down on the bread and then I can enjoy all the other tasty foods. I think the reason I eat bread is because its filling and a quick option so now my goal is to make more effort in preparing my meals and to think about my health more ...thanks guys
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that we are all so addicted to it raises alarm bells, I feel. Definitely the wheat itself even wholegrain is tampered with, and there are sooo many additives in there.
    I've just cut it out this week and I feel so healthy its amazing. Substituting with oats which I've always eaten anyway and sweet potato so far. Its true I'm eating pretty low carb/high protein at the mo but feel great. I will send you a friend request if you like, you will see whether or not I get results in a few weeks time!