Can't do anything for more than two minutes!

Options
Hello everyone.

21/F here and a bit of a challenge. I am already a healthy weight and I look it. Since moving in with my boyfriend I have put on a little weight and am feeling a bit blobby but it isn't a health concern. I'm about 5'5" and on the tighter side of a UK10.

I would like to lose a bit of the jigglyness, but my bigger concerns are my fitness and health. I used to be a competitive swimmer and horseback rider. Later, I enjoyed running and yoga. Last year, I left education and started the job from hell. My boss constantly put me down (actually called me fat at one point), my self esteem plummeted and I started smoking. Last month I walked out and am slowly feeling more like a human being with actual worth. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night and cry, so yay haha!

I tossed the *kitten* the day after I left and haven't touched them since. I want my old, healthy self back! But how?

My dietary goals are to drink more water and eat smaller portions, as my diet is already quite healthy and I cook fresh every night. But exercising makes me want to cry. I can do about two minutes on an exercise bike before I feel like I am going to collapse. I'm scared that smoking has ruined my lungs forever, which is probably extremely irrational and dramatic.

Please forgive the rant. I just want to know, how can I possibly improve my fitness when I can't seem to cope for more than a few minutes? I feel like I've hit a wall before I've even started. I guess I mostly want some encouragement that it will get better. Anyone else got any victories they can share to encourage me?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    You've just lost your stamina/endurance.. Keep at it and slowly increase and you will improve! Don't give up :flowerforyou:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Do a few minutes, than next time add a minute more, keep building yourself up.

When I started my biking I could do 5 minutes before I was needing another breathing treatment, so I did 5 minutes, the next week I tried to do it 2 times a day for 5 minutes each, and slowly kept pushing myself to do a little more, now 16 months later I can ride for 2 1/2- 3 hours.
  • daviddowns1968
    daviddowns1968 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How long were you smoking for? Chances are, you haven't done too much damage to prevent future health and fitness improvements. I keep slipping into the smoking trap, and am a runner.

Just remember, it's a slow process, baby steps to start with. Just do the couple of minutes as your body allows, and slowly you will discover you are doing much more. Make sure your body is suitably fuelled and hydrated beforehand, but don't drink too much water as exercising. Carrying too much water in your belly can be quite uncomfortable, and doesn't actually hydrate as you workout.

Good luck, you're onto a good thing :).
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Well done for making huge positive changes to your life!
    My suggestion for the exercise is start a bit slower, and build up.
    I love hiking, but used to be hopeless going up hills (for years I was like this) - I'd be really sweaty and breathless and it sapped all the enjoyment out of it. And it just dawned on me one day - I slowed down. There's nothing wrong with working up a sweat and being out of breath, but when it got uncomfortable and my heart was pounding in my ears, I just dialled it back a bit and paced myself. And then I learned to pace myself from the outset to keep my heart rate and breathing at a manageable level.
    When I started running I used to feel ready to fall on the floor after a couple of minutes. I slowed down, I went further, I built up the distances and I built up the speed over time.
    You can do this, just not all at once in the first week! There's no point doing something that always makes you want to cry, because it's unlikely to be sustainable. Adapt. :flowerforyou:
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    I smoked cigarettes for over thirty years and quit seven years ago. Joined MFP about three months ago and I can do steep mountainous hikes now without getting out of breath. Walking is what did it for me. I started with just a mile a day and gradually pushed that to longer distances. I think your lungs will clear out soon!

If you can do two minutes on the bike, do it. Then two and a quarter. Then two and a half, et cetera. You'll get back to your old self in no time. We're pullin' for ya!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

When I started my biking I could do 5 minutes before I was needing another breathing treatment, so I did 5 minutes, the next week I tried to do it 2 times a day for 5 minutes each, and slowly kept pushing myself to do a little more, now 16 months later I can ride for 2 1/2- 3 hours.

This! Just work up to it. The damage from smoking will improve. I smoked for 23 years and have been smoke free now for almost 6. It will take a little bit, but eventually it's almost like you never started. Good for you for taking control of your health! It's so much easier when you're young and still in reasonable shape :)
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

21/F here and a bit of a challenge. I am already a healthy weight and I look it. Since moving in with my boyfriend I have put on a little weight and am feeling a bit blobby but it isn't a health concern. I'm about 5'5" and on the tighter side of a UK10.

I would like to lose a bit of the jigglyness, but my bigger concerns are my fitness and health. I used to be a competitive swimmer and horseback rider. Later, I enjoyed running and yoga. Last year, I left education and started the job from hell. My boss constantly put me down (actually called me fat at one point), my self esteem plummeted and I started smoking. Last month I walked out and am slowly feeling more like a human being with actual worth. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night and cry, so yay haha!

I tossed the *kitten* the day after I left and haven't touched them since. I want my old, healthy self back! But how?

My dietary goals are to drink more water and eat smaller portions, as my diet is already quite healthy and I cook fresh every night. But exercising makes me want to cry. I can do about two minutes on an exercise bike before I feel like I am going to collapse. I'm scared that smoking has ruined my lungs forever, which is probably extremely irrational and dramatic.

Please forgive the rant. I just want to know, how can I possibly improve my fitness when I can't seem to cope for more than a few minutes? I feel like I've hit a wall before I've even started. I guess I mostly want some encouragement that it will get better. Anyone else got any victories they can share to encourage me?
    Hugs hon. Never mind, having been a competitive swimmer and horse back rider, you already know Rome was not built in a day.
    If you can only do one second, keep at it, it will eventually evolve to 2 then 10.etc .KWIM.

I walk 10miles daily, a year ago when I started, I could only go from one bus stop to the next one, and then go home, as if that was not bad enough, all the Pensioners would whiz past me, I was that slow and out of condition.
    Today I marvel at what I can do.
    Weekends, I walk 16-20 miles in a National Park near me and have energy to spare.

Take it at your own pace, listen to your body.
    I evolved at my own pace, I worked with what my body could do at any given time and it paid off.
  • Kittni
    Kittni Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I think I will like this community very much if you are anything to go by :)

I smoked less than two years. Granted I smoked a LOT when I had an office job where I sat on my butt all day, but in hindsight that really isn't that long, right?

jwhited71, good idea doing my tiny slog several times a day. Impressive progress! Gives me hope, honestly.

otter090812, you are right I think I am going too fast. I am just so used to being fit, maybe my expectations are too high. I need to be kinder to myself and just take a deep breath.

andylowry and koldnomore, amazing that you have been smoke free after such a long time with them! I am determined not to touch them again. They are so satisfying but I just try to do something to take my mind off it when I do fancy one. Maybe I could hop on the bike next time :P

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I kind of got wrapped up in thinking I was the only person to ever be unfit, haha! There are so many inspirational people here. Being fit before, I had no idea how difficult it was getting there as I started from childhood. Major props to people who are unfit like me and struggle with their weight... Whole new respect for them now. I think it's just a shock when you realise you don't really know your body anymore.

ETA: IcanIwill1, I guess I'm spoiled because I did that from childhood so in my memory it was always that way, and so easy pushing all the time! You must be very proud if your achievements, I can't wait until I have a similar story.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Building back endurance is a long haul game. It took me about eighteen months to go from "three flights of stairs is hard" to "hauling a 18kg pack for four miles is moderate".

Keep adding distance and speed as you can and it'll get there.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Yep! This is how fitness works.
  • lilangelofgod247
    Options
    Go slow! Don't over do it. Increase your work out a few minutes each day. You'll find it getting easier and easier. It was hard for me to be able to run a mile again. So, one week I would power walk. The next, I would run 1/4 of a mile, the next i would run half of a mile and so on until I could run the whole mile. Set realistic goals for yourself too and set short term goals. It'll motivate you when you reach them. Setting things "too high" can cause you to feel like you "can't do it" and often people will give up or get unmotivated. You know your limits.
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I think it's just stamina/endurance, like someone already said.
    We start crawling, than walking and only after we run, do the same with going back to exercising, since you were stopped for some time.

I would recommend you 30 Day Shred from Jillian.
    I'm on Day 3, and in D1 I almost die...I though I was stop breathing... 2 years ago I ran a half Marathon and now I were unable to do a 25min workout...
    But today I did it all, the easy version, from start to end. I will start doing some of the harder options after D5.

Kisses,
    Tatyanne
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So you last for 120 seconds??

Then next time out go for 130 seconds
    Then 140
    then 150

Keep shooting for increasing times
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ex smoker here and I understand your fear but don't worry you will get better with time! All it takes is baby steps; and trust me you're heading in the right direction just by being here! :happy:

I'm a hardcore road cyclist now and not so long ago I would've never dreamed I could ride for so long or so hard; now I race competitively and ride at every opportunity! :happy:
  • Cskinner2
    Cskinner2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You did not get out of shape in a few days, you will not get in shape in a few days. Maybe start by slowly walking to build up your stamina. Increase your walking and other exercise slowly. You can do this, you will do this, you are so worth this!

I started walking and eventually turned it into doing 5k's. Good for you keep it up
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctors for a checkup- you're probably fine but mainly just to rule any lung issues out if you're worried about this, but even if you do have a lung problem then it's usually treatable- I'm asthmatic and I've found that the more I exercise the better controlled my asthma is. I just take a couple of puffs of my preventor inhaler before and strenuous working out.

If you hate the exercise bike then you might prefer something a bit more fun like dance classes or even a spin class on the bike where you feel as if you're in it together with other people. Work it up gradually even if you're just starting out doing 15-20 minutes for the first week or so and you'll get there eventually x
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i used to smoke to, and for a lot longer than you did. i've just done my second half marathon this weekend, and have completed a lot more races.

you'll be fine. just like others say, increase your distance little by little. if you get out of breath relax and slow down. when you've recovered, pick up the pace.

you are also probably going much faster/stronger than you should be. most work outs should be done at a conversational pace, unless you are specifically going for speed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can't do anything for more than two minutes!

Neither can I. And boy is my wife pissed.

barneyselffive_zps72c1421c.gif

:laugh:
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like what people are suggesting about doing a few extra seconds/minutes each workout. How about alternating days with a less intense exercise that you can do for longer periods? Like walking, or yoga, or swimming?

For me the key to getting fitter was finding exercise that I couldn't wait to do. If it's fun, you'll make sure you get it in. You can do this!

PS I'm an ex-smoker, too. Don't worry about what you've done to your lungs already, just start taking care of them now (exercise is great for your lungs). :flowerforyou: