which one would u buy?

Options
if you were to buy an exercise machine which would you get.....A treadmill or a elliptical??? and why???

Replies

• arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my treadmill. I want to hug it every time I get off of it. I know a lot of people are crazy about elepticals, but the treadmill just feels more versatile to me.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill. My reason was that I could do more on it. The other seemed to hurt my knees. I would say it is because I am a bit taller than other women, but my TALL husband likes them. Best advise would be to go to where you can get on the machines and try them out. Doesnt have to be the place you are planning on buying it. Whatever you decide make sure it is good quality versus a cheap machine. Been there and learned that lesson. You are planning on putting some miles on it so buy one that will hold its own. The best one for you is the one you use. Hope this helps.
    jac
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    Options
    If I could.. I would buy an elliptical machine... it is a hardcore calorie burner and it's much easier on your joints. The treadmill, for me, it too much like pounding pavement.
  • deborahkidd
    deborahkidd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree, the treadmill is great because you can run and walk. It would be nice to have both. SOLE has a great treadmill, that is what I have. Make sure you get one you can wear a Polar heart rate monitor with then you don't have to keep your hands on the sensors.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a second elliptical machine right now because my last one died (got it free of freecycle). Very low impact on an elliptical, full body work out including arms, burns more calories in less time than a treadmill for MOST people (since most people aren't RUNNING all out on a treadmill).

I prefer the motion on the elliptical machine as well. My knees don't hurt on it since there's not the impact that comes with walking/running on a treadmill.

I hope to eventually own both but since mine died that machine needs to be replaced first. I'm purchasing the LiveStrong 8.0E from ****'s Sporting Goods ($799) but supposedly some good Black Friday deals coming if you can hold out :D

I did a ton of research and for the price point the livestrongs are very highly rated with nice heavy fly wheels and strong frames so they don't squeak or wabble. They have a long stride (20 inches) but some are adjustable. If you're under about 5'6" 20 inches is probably too long for you so something with a shorter stride would be better.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4307977&cp=2367438.2367453

LOL the site monitor's the name of the sporting good store in the words and the link. It starts with a D and can be derogitory so I get it but it IS the name of the place.
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    I bought my first treadmill a couple months ago and I love it, I didn't get the most expensive or the cheapest, I went middle of the road....now I really want and elliptical, cause it burns alot of calories. But you always need to walk (everyday). good luck and shop around and do some research!
  • toberlili
    Options
    elliptical is better, because it hits more areas due to its motion, the glide is wonderful. you can adjust the machine as well as the treadmill.
  • tnewcom
    tnewcom Posts: 58
    Options
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    bump! Gotta save the info you got on here because I hope to make the same decision YOU are making after the first of the year! Good luck......let us know which one you go with and how you like it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I can walk, jog, work on intervals, and now do the side skips on the treadmill to work on my hips.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A treadmill and a good movie are my favorite! I'm a die hard runner though. I tried the elliptical when I had some knee problems, but never really got into it. I love that I can still get my hill workouts on the treadmill even when it's a blizzard outside!
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I would get a elliptical, it burns calories, has resistance and is easy on your knee joints compared to a tredmill
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You can do hills etc on an elliptical too. They have all kinds of programs in them to change resistance during the workout.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical, but I think it comes down to which machine/exercise you like more and which one you will use the most. I bought the elliptical because I like the exercise, I like the calorie burn, I like that it isn't hard on my knees, and I live in an area where I can walk/run outside. I think one thing is that you could probably buy any treadmill and have it work fine, but you have to be a bit more choosey when buying an elliptical- some are bulky, some fold up, some are wobbly, etc. Definitely look at customer reviews on-line about specific machines (brands and models) that you are interested in.