Is it this simple?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Bravo DebbieLyn63! I appreciate your response soooooo much. CICO may work for some, it may even work for most. But it certainly is not true for all. Thanks for reminding me why I tend to stay off of the community side. Glad I popped over here this morning to see your response - I'm signing off now so I can keep working on figuring out what works for ME.

I just don't get it.

Anyone who doesn't believe calorie counting works probably shouldn't be using a calorie counting website. That's literally why we're here. So when someone says it doesn't work, it doesn't make everyone else a bully for disagreeing.

If I went to some Disney fan site, and said the Disney characters were stupid and I didn't understand why anyone liked them, would the people there be mean bullies for disagreeing with me? No. That is trolling.

I know there are people who don't believe in calorie counting. People clinging to the idea that every human body is so completely unique that no program can possibly target their special needs. Fine, I get that. I just don't understand why they use a calorie counting site to argue that calorie counting doesn't work. And then are suprised at the reaction...

He is just a lost cause or he has medical issues. Either way still lost.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Is losing weight really as simple as a calorie deficit?

Yes.

You can create the deficit with or without exercise. I am in the camp of opinions that support the notion that it is a heck of a lot easier to create a caloric deficit using exercise. Especially if you like to eat (and who doesn't?). The more you exercise, the more you get to eat...
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options

People trolling my post about paleo; I mentioned it because its basically a natural food diet. I don't follow a paleo diet, I like the convenience of supplements too much and I would need to eat so much meat to meet my protein goals every day that it would turn into a part time job.

My point was to show me somebody gaining weight eating mostly veggies, you will have a hard time. The gist is just to stick to the produce isle. Not a bad concept. And I'm sorry, but we truly aren't evolved to deal with some of the crap they put in processed foods. I have pretty bad digestive issues, and if you ask any gastro, they will tell you the digestive system is the least evolved of our organs.

I'm not trolling. I said you were wrong. And you continued right at it.

No one needs to get all their food from the produce aisle. That's another bad idea. There's a wide variety of food out there that people can and should enjoy. Not just vegetables.

YOU have digestive issues. Sorry for that, but that's a special issue that you deal with. That does not mean that all humans lack the evolutionary capability to digest foods. The vast majority of us are fine.

Also my favorite part is after touting the paleo diet you admit you don't even follow it. At least when I say eating foods in moderation works I actually stand by my words.

It seems you like you are just looking to pick a fight. I'm obviously not touting the diet if I don't even follow it. Its promoting an extreme. Notice the word "mostly" in my post -_-. The point was that not eating foods with empty calories leads to good weight loss results. Imagine that.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

People trolling my post about paleo; I mentioned it because its basically a natural food diet. I don't follow a paleo diet, I like the convenience of supplements too much and I would need to eat so much meat to meet my protein goals every day that it would turn into a part time job.

My point was to show me somebody gaining weight eating mostly veggies, you will have a hard time. The gist is just to stick to the produce isle. Not a bad concept. And I'm sorry, but we truly aren't evolved to deal with some of the crap they put in processed foods. I have pretty bad digestive issues, and if you ask any gastro, they will tell you the digestive system is the least evolved of our organs.

I'm not trolling. I said you were wrong. And you continued right at it.

No one needs to get all their food from the produce aisle. That's another bad idea. There's a wide variety of food out there that people can and should enjoy. Not just vegetables.

YOU have digestive issues. Sorry for that, but that's a special issue that you deal with. That does not mean that all humans lack the evolutionary capability to digest foods. The vast majority of us are fine.

Also my favorite part is after touting the paleo diet you admit you don't even follow it. At least when I say eating foods in moderation works I actually stand by my words.

It seems you like you are just looking to pick a fight. I'm obviously not touting the diet if I don't even follow it. Its promoting an extreme. Notice the word "mostly" in my post -_-. The point was that not eating foods with empty calories leads to good weight loss results. Imagine that.

My empty calorie pizza is so good though. Now I eat it in real moderation. And when I eat it's always combo with a long workout.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Is losing weight really as simple as a calorie deficit?

Yes.

You can create the deficit with or without exercise. I am in the camp of opinions that support the notion that it is a heck of a lot easier to create a caloric deficit using exercise. Especially if you like to eat (and who doesn't?). The more you exercise, the more you get to eat...

Eat more exercise more is a very good way to keep your metabolism in check.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    But what about the numerous 50 yr old ladies who are menopausal, or premenopausal, have PCOS (which is WAY more common than people on here want to admit), and are Diabetic or pre-Diabetic? They are most likely eating way less than 2k cals a day, even if they are 100 lbs overweight. Many of them are very active at their job, and taking care of their house, husbands, kids, or even grandkids, and don't have the time and resources to go to the gym, but can get in a walk on their lunchbreak, or before work. They are struggling with the stresses of their lives. They are staying within their calorie limits, but the only way they seem to lose ANY weight is to restrict to 1200-1400 cals a day, and after a while, that stops working.

I don't have PCOS and am not pre or any other kind of diabetic, but I am 56, female and 10+ years post menopausal. Do these things make it harder to lose than when I was in my 20s or 30s? Yep. Do they make it impossible? Nope. While the level of calorie deficit will vary according to age, sex, medical issue or activity level, there is a level that will work for everyone barring a severe metabolic disorder. If 1200-1400 of accurately counted calories leads to no weight loss, then they are quite simply not at a deficit. If that level puts someone in a deficit, they will lose weight even if it's slower than they'd like.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been slacking in the "healthy" foods department lately, but still eating at a deficit. Guess what, I'm still losing.
    Sure eating more vegetable etc will be healthier, but strictly for weightloss calories in vs calories out.

Now ladies do keep in mind. The 2000 cal daily you see on the packages does not work for most of us. I simply don't have a deficit if I eat that much and don't do some sort of exercise.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

So if the answer to losing weight is to eat within a deficit, why do so many people opt for such radical diets?

Because a lot of those radical diets advertise a big loss in a short amount of time. Why count calories and lose at a reasonable rate when an "expert" is telling you that you can easily drop X pounds in X days?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    In my experience, yeah, it really is about eating less and trying for more healthy foods, but still having treats in moderation. I've done atkins and isagenix, lost a few lbs/inches without working out much, but it wasn't sustainable. So then for a about 8 months I became a gym rat! running for the first time in my life and taking crossfit classes. I got toned and lost inches, but never any real weight. This past time, I started with my diet. I cut out all the crap for 2 weeks. No added sugar, low carb, more veggies and fruit and lots of lean protein. I lost 7 lbs in two weeks! So slowly I started exercising again and I have steadily lost weight, toned my body, lost inches and FEEL amazing. It works for me and I think for many, many others. That being said, it's not easy. But you do get better at it with practice and results are worth it.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

See? Diet myths everywhere.

Our bodies don't need an evolutionary change to eat processed foods. People do it on a daily basis and the body has no problem processing it. But you gotta sell Paleo books somehow...

Paleo is a low carb diet disguised as a "natural food" diet. Our bodies retain more water when we eat carbs. People who follow low carb diets in a calorie deficit lose more weight faster than if they just ate at a deficit, but they gain the water weight back as soon as they reintroduce carbs.
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So if the answer to losing weight is to eat within a deficit, why do so many people opt for such radical diets

I believe people opt for the various trendy "diet of the day" is that if they fail at weight loss, they can blame the diet. (I'm special; Adkins/paloe/primal/South Beach/et al didn't work for me). That is much easier on the ego and self esteem than to admit that I failed at weight loss because I have no self control, discipline and commitment required to eat less than before and/or move more than before, thus creating a deficit.

NAILED IT. I tried Weight Watchers, South Beach, paleo and the like. But I eventually got bored with the food and I skimped on exercise, so I didn't see results. And I convinced myself that I was a special snowflake who just couldn't lose weight. Plus, women always have a harder time losing weight, right?

Then I decided to just suck it up and count calories and increase my activity level. The weight came off slowly but surely. I've lost about 26 pounds now and am working on the next 20. I'm in a healthy BMI range and I did it myself, no special diet books. It really is that simple. Eat less and exercise--though you can simply eat less and create a caloric deficit that way, the exercise helps with overall fitness and you feel a heck of a lot better. More muscles, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does a simple calorie deficit not work for everyone? I understand if there are health issues (insulin resistance, diabetes etc) why low carb may be best. But for the majority of people, is it really necessary to go to such "extremes"? And if not, why do we?

A simple calorie deficit does work for most people. But the psychology of weight loss is an important factor for many. Foods high in fast digesting carbs (overly processed grains and sugars) can trigger hunger that some find very hard to control. The same is often true of high fat salty snacks for others. So, they choose to eliminate these things to make weight loss easier.

What is "simple" to one is not necessarily simple to another.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    As a society we are inherently incapable of taking responsibility for anything these days. Always looking to shift the blame on someone/something.. We say things like "It's not MY fault I can't lose weight because:
    - I have no time to work out
    - I have kids/partner who like to eat sweets
    - I am weighing everything..except...
    - I'm doing EVERYTHING right

We think.. It CAN'T be so simple because - I - can't do it... Well.. it IS.

It's hard to get past when people tell you that you're doing it wrong, or eating more then you think. And you think you 'must' be special. Not so.. I'm guilty, I think everyone on this journey at some point will question it, but usually (for me at least) when I tighten up, stop slacking and re-commit to making sure that I AM doing what I need to do, I start losing again. It's easier to blame 'the diet' instead of blaming your own lack of discipline / will power.
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Food synergy is another one... breast milk babies ALWAYS do better than bottle fed. Do they know exactly what is in breast milk? Yes, can they engineer a powder that rivals it? No! Why? Food synergy... vitamin solubility... loads of things.

I have to take issue with the "babies always do better on breast milk." That is not true across the board. There are many possible factors. My SIL has breastfed all of her children, and they have difficulty putting on weight and have mulitple food allergies and health issues. Would they be worse on formula? Who knows. But my children have been formula fed due to my health issues, and they are all healthy and never had growth issues. In fact, my third child would have gotten sick and died if I had tried to breastfed--at the time I had zero carnitine in my system, thanks to years of a vegan diet, and carnitine is only available in mother's milk if the mother has it in her system, or in formula, where the companies add L-carnitine. So formula saved his life. Because babies in utero receive carnitine from their mothers' diet, he didn't have any, and I didn't have any to give him.

Whether to formula feed or breasfeed is a very personal decision that should be left up to parents and the child's doctor, if applicable. Whether a child thrives on breast milk or formula is dependent on so many other factors, so let's not generalize.

Sorry for the thread hijack, people! Go about your business.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Worked for me perfectly :)

People are used to thinking (including my family) that if you are on a 'diet' (despise this word) you have to cut out all the good stuff - it becomes annoying. Nobody can live like that. Patience is the hardest thing but as you're changing your lifestyle, might as well get used to it and it becomes an everyday thing. It's also best to talk to people who have managed to keep the weight off as I think that's personally the main thing, I don't really want to get advice from someone who put it back on. I'm trying to be that person and know my triggers but still trying to improve and work on myself.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about calorie deficit - if you restricted your diet to JUST ice-cream, as long as you were eating fewer calories in ice-cream than your body needed you'd lose weight.

Being healthy however...that's a whole different kettle of fish and there's plenty of slim people out there who have really crappy diets and, whilst not overweight, are storing up all sorts of other health issues for themselves.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Losing weight is about calorie deficit - if you restricted your diet to JUST ice-cream, as long as you were eating fewer calories in ice-cream than your body needed you'd lose weight.

Being healthy however...that's a whole different kettle of fish and there's plenty of slim people out there who have really crappy diets and, whilst not overweight, are storing up all sorts of other health issues for themselves.

Perfect answer.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I definitely have come to believe it's as simple as a calorie deficit. Still, because of the quick-fix mindset, it's hard not to think "I shouldn't be eating this" when I consume something that's not a stereotypical diet food. C'mon brain, get with the program! I find myself stuck in the "good food vs. bad food" mindset.