Concerns over weighing food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food because of concern about what my family would think. I have three teenagers who are all underweight (as I was at their age) and since I'm not overweight they would probably think I'm crazy for doing it. I'm managing to maintain my weight quite well without it so far....I generally just assume I'm off by a bit and try to figure that into my logging. I especially worry about the effect it might have on my teenage daughter, since her friends are all starting to talk about how they are "fat". She's 14 years old, 4' 11" and 74 pounds.....I'm trying to get her to gain weight so I'm afraid if she saw me weighing my food she might get the idea that I'm trying to lose weight, which I'm not, and then might start to think that maybe she needs to worry.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing green beans and grilled chicken though, they might have right to be concerned.
    the point of wieghing things is so you know what you are eating- green beans and chicken- or ice cream.

Since I eat the whole container of steamables- I do not typically weigh- the container is the container- but for lunches- I weigh both chicken and veggies out so they are equally portioned and I know what my daily food intake is.

After you've been doing it a while- you get really good at eyeballing it- and ultimately since the average is more important- it's not a crisis if you don't get it spot on- but it is useful to just do it for habits sake.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    At my best I was weighting what I didn't know (like if I knew the container had 300 cal, I'm cool, but if I wasn't going to eat the container, I weighed out a serving)
    I found that weighting them out gave me a realistic idea of what I can get for my 1800 cal. Well I can have this or I can have ALLLLL THIIISSSSSSS for the same calories. I buy in bulk, I coupon, I like more for my money ;)

I use weighing not to restrict myself, but to get myself back on balance of what a portion really is or how much I was really eating.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING and normally it is just in front of my husband. He is 100% supportive of me, and will even weigh what he cooks for dinner (all ingredients, cookware, and final meal weight divided by servings) so I have an accurate number to tell me how much I can eat. I even weigh sliced bread! Fun Fact, an irregular loaf isn't always a uniform weight per slice. My Dudley's bread is proof of that. :)

If someone wants to make fun of me for it, then they aren't really a friend. But then again, no one is going to accuse me of ever eating TOO LITTLE.
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a food scale addict ;) I weigh everything...in fact (and you can laugh), I put my wine glass on the scale, zero it out, and then pour and measure the ounces. My DH is totally supportive of me and does weigh foods when he is cooking. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for me being totally accountable of what I eat. I think even when I hit the maintain phase, I will still weigh, it has become second nature and part of my routine. That being said, I am only human and I do indulge once and awhile and some Saturday's the scale stays in the cupboard (keeps me sane...ha ha). Don't worry what people think about the scale on your counter, you are doing this for you and if it is working for you then keep going. Good luck on your journey. Cheers!