A question for the girls - do you exercise during your tom?

Replies

• bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    I find exercising actually helps the cause... I feel like crap before and during but after I feel better, maybe it's pain aversion therapy...If my quads are on fire and i feel like i cant walk anymore, or arms or core or whatever my cramps seem less significant. lol
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I always workout during my TOM. I just pop some Tylenol if I am in pain and carry on.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Since I started working out my period pains are less intense. My period doesnt change my plans any.
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Thanks guys! Listen to some advice and decided to just do light workout during my daily 1.5 hour walk with the dog. Just a few squats and lunges, nothing intense. Have to say I was feeling pretty bad on the way back, but now I actually feel hungry enough to eat, which rarely happens during my toms.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Absolutely. I don't find excuses to not workout.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    I don't even know a Tom.
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    I still force myself to go but if I'm feeling a little fatigued I'll just take it easier than normal. Like you I can find it hard to get back into it if I don't go. Something has to be better than nothing right?
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Since I started working out my period pains are less intense. My period doesnt change my plans any.

I agree! Besides, you would lose so much time every month if you give yourself that excuse to slow down/stop.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Yes, I do.

I always struggle with these questions. For most women, there shouldn't be a question. I know that some women get debilitating periods, but I think there are quite a few more who are just looking for any reason to justify cravings and not workout. Here's why I say that (before anyone jumps my case for having no idea):

I've never been regular. Heck, I didn't even know until I was like 16 that women were supposed to get a period every month. I was shocked the first time I heard someone say "I usually know what day it's coming". WTH? They should be regular?

So I went on BC after getting checked out. Took a few tries, but eventually I was pretty regular. Then, I had knee surgery and wound up with blood clots. Bye bye estrogen pill. I had to stop the pill immediately. I bled NON STOP for 6 months while my gyno tried a couple progesterone only pills. Nothing worked.

I ended up with a Mirena. The insertion was awful. I threw up on the doctor. I was sick for a week. Awful. I then proceeded to bleed like a freaking stuck pig for the next few months while my body tried to adjust. Horrible pain. A few ultrasounds because they kept thinking the Mirena had ruptured my uterus because I was having so much pain and nausea.

Eventually, things settled down. I kept working out. If I didn't, I would have lost almost a year of fitness. That is why I think there are very few women who are truly sick enough to not work out during your period. I bled HEAVY. I would have to use a super tampon and a pad because I'd bleed right through it before my workout was done.

So get out and be awesome, don't let something that's going to happen every month stop you.
  • jess_9981
    jess_9981 Posts: 42 Member
    YES.......YES.........and YES! Just keep it up bc once you get off 3-4 days turns into a week and then a month AND BAAAAMMM your gaining weight. It's only 20 mins, you can do it.........Take some aspirin.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    A question for the girls - do you exercise during your tom? - Yes.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    I no longer get my period, but when I did, I still worked out. I would have terrible cramps before exercising but I would toughen it out and would feel great after, cramps would be gone.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Yup, I workout through my TOM.

I try not to focus too hard on the scale, or the water retention, and I use it as a surprise at the end of the week what my actual weight is showing as hahaha :)
  • holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Yes but usually more weights than cardio for me at least the first 2 days
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    I make myself work out because I know it helps with cramps and can make your flow lighter.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    I don't. But I probably should lol
  • As I am actively bleeding as I type this and full onset of anemia I will be doing a minimum of my usual 2.5 hour workout today. I do not use my TOM as an excuse to not workout....
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Um... my regular workout of the day.

Your uterus will not fall out.

You may even feel better when you are done

I wish women would stop using their period for an excuse to eat everything in site and to not workout. You have had this for probably half of your life (at least)... your daily routine doesn't change just because your body decides to bleed.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    I can't do much of anything for my first 2 days. So, no, I don't exercise for those days. all these horror stories of skipping days and gaining weight are crazy. You don't gain weight because you skip a few days of work-outs. You gain weight by over-eating. Whether you work out or not is up to you. Whether you maintain your calorie deficit is also up to you.
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    All the time - push through it. Seriously. You will feel better for doing it.