Struggling with second part of the day

Options
HI! Is anybody else struggling with keeping healthy after 5pm? Long days at work, and wanting to have "fun" always send me off track. Any tips?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    no problem through the week for me, but i can definitely relate to that on weekends. its tough but you just have to fight through the urges. perhaps try fasting for thee first half of the day if you know you'll be having a rough night, itll suck at first but eventually your habits will adjust
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Maybe save more calories for later in the day? Lately I've been eating under 900 before dinner because I'm less hungry throughout the day, then I have a significant dinner and a snack afterwards. It helps me because I also get snack-y in the evenings. Try some low fat frozen yogurt, a protein bar, yogurt and fruit. A "dessert"-like snack. Or even a serving of dessert-dessert, like ice cream or a cookie or a piece of cake. There's nothing wrong with fun foods like that. Just practice portion control.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I save a big chunk of calories for the evening. During the day I'm busier so I seem to be able to eat less then. I try to plan my night time snacks in advance--fruit, airpopped popcorn, skinny cow, etc.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I try and plan my whole day's meals in the morning. That way I know what I will be eating/drinking later, so it takes away some of the temptation. Weekends can be tough though, especially Friday night. I generally just try and ignore those cravings, although if I'm out with friends I don't deny myself what I want, just log it and have less than I used to.

Ignoring those cravings has become much easier for me with practice, and I just don't eat potato chips etc.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    evening and weekend are my struggle!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was struggling too especially if I had a glass of wine in the evening. I now don't drink Mon to Thurs thus saving me alcohol calories and increasing my ability to resist other 'treats'.
    I tend to be very strict those 4 days and then allow myself a fair bit more in cals both from wine and treats Fri to Sun. Works for me!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Divide your calories into three main meals and snacks : )

Maybe try and have a later bigger lunch, and a smaller dinner, but add some protein snacks throughout the day, or fruit!
  • ellipsisdream
    ellipsisdream Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having a lot of success with having 5 smaller meals, and scheduling them about every 3 hours. That way, when I get hungry at night, I still have a mini-meal left. I also make sure that meal in particular has plenty of protein to help tame my appetite.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I get a handful of trail mix <the good kind, just nuts, cranberries, and raisens- no candy in this mix> and it usually tides me over my snackiness. That being said, don't go too crazy nuts can push you over your calorie/fat/protein limit if you're close. I will also have cereal for dessert and that can be pretty filling. Again you have to watch the sugar on cereals but as long as you keep it small it's all good.
  • Wetikaba
    Wetikaba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thank you very much. I will try and save more calories for the evening. I usually go out after work so it's difficult to know where I will be eating at night, but maybe having more calories to deal with will help.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    HI! Is anybody else struggling with keeping healthy after 5pm? Long days at work, and wanting to have "fun" always send me off track. Any tips?

Workout before or after your "fun" to deal with the extra calories. Having a home gym makes this much easier...

Or, on the days you are planning some post long day work "fun", why not do a workout during your lunch hour?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I do a form of IF, is because I like to have "fun" with my night time eating. Save some of the calories for the evening. Eat a lighter breakfast or lunch, or if you like you can skip both or either (IF for sure).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • makoside
    makoside Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have no advice,, ,however, I am seeking it.... My afternoon is when I fall apart. The Rum,,, chocolate,,, and tortilla chips scream my name.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Not evenings, but weekends in general are tough for me, so I started just eating lighter throughout the week so I could eat a bit more on weekends. It's worked brilliantly for me.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I added carbs to breakfast and lunch, pushed dinner later in evening. It's the opposite of what they tell you, but if you're not hungry, you'll be less tempted to eat.
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 1/2 of an Atkins Advantage Chocolate Royale in the evenings after dinner if I get the munchies. Since it's been such a pretty spring, I have been doing stuff in the garden after work or playing w/ my daughter outside prior to dinner. Helps keep my mind from the fridge and also helps me chug down some water (as I get thristy and hot). I figure 80 calories and a shot of protien disguised under a chocolaty drink isn't a bad thing.
  • scanners107
    scanners107 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to make stuff like high protein low carb chocolate cake or carrot cake so that i have a decent snack in the afternoon/evening.

Main thing for me in planning, if i plan it in advance i can eat pretty much anything.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Its all in the planning - fail to plan, plan to fail.

When i shop at the weekend I know my breakfast, lunch and dinner plans for almost every night of the week, sometimes it changes but not often.

If i have a high cal day I plan an exercise that burns more or put a side more exercise time.

.........Oh did I add that I'm a bit of a control freak....