21 Day Fix - REAL results/opinions ..no coaches

Options

Replies

• taylorwilliamsot
    taylorwilliamsot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am horrible when it comes to portioning out meals. That is why I bought 21 day fix. I know that to some it is a waste of money, but I really needed a visual as to how much I should be eating. If you can measure out the food yourself and know what you should be eating, then don't buy it. My cousin is putting together a challenge group and I thought that it would motivate me even more.
  • taylorwilliamsot
    taylorwilliamsot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also know that this is not just a temporary solution. I bought this program so I will know what to eat and how much to eat after the program ends. I will probably end up using the containers after the program as well.
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it looks awesome! Portion control, whole foods, 30 minute video for those that live busy lifestyles.

The name makes it sound like a fad but it's not. Im starting it on Wednesday and it has me starting at 1700 calories so no starving either!

Exactly what I need too! Structure and an extra push...BUT I am a beginner and this is the level I feel comfortable starting at.

Good luck to those on it!
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 22?

Um.. You start all over and do it again until you feel comfortable upping your work outs intensity. The food plan like I said above give you PLENTY of calories daily and it's all WHOLE foods..

Well that was a no brainer
  • kimmyt4
    kimmyt4 Posts: 18
    Options
    So I am just into my second week on the 21 day Fix. I am just a regular person, not a coach...I am a beginner. These exercises seam fairly easy but they do really make you sweat!!! My body was quite sore the first week.

The containers are not just pretty colours. They are like measuring cups, colour coded for each food group. So veggies is green and it's one cup, fruit is purple and it's also 1 cup.

You are suppose to use the formula they give you to get the range and then the book will tell you how many of each container you will have in a day. It is a 200 calorie range, so depending on what you put in your containers you will either be on the low side of your range, or the high side.

I like this program, it really makes you look at what you are eating. How much you are over eating on some things.

And of course I will continue to use the DVD system. Any movement and or exercise you do is better than not doing anything. If you are more advanced and want to do a more intense workout then you could probably choose something different.

Slow and steady wins the race. You don't want to be loosing 10 or 15 pounds in 3 weeks. That is insane, and I do not believe it. I would be happy with a few pounds loss and more inch loss.
  • marilync1266
    marilync1266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My co-workers and I are going to start working out with the DVDs - how are they? We were doing 30 day shred, but a couple of people were experiencing knee problems (some had knee problems before)
  • sarafina07
    Options
    I just finished my first round of the 21 day fix. I lost a total of ten inches from all over and about 6 pounds. i can tell a difference in my body, my arms are more toned and my calves are stronger. I too struggle with time, i am a mother of three and work 30 hours a week. the workouts are only 30 minutes long, that was a time frame i could commit to and not feel like i was putting anyone out. the containers worked great for me. I know you could go out and get containers yourself but this was so easy, it really was easy to understand and remember even when i forgot the containers or guide at home. My biggest hurdle was giving up flavored creamer in coffee, they say it takes 21 days to break a habit and i think i finally have! i am starting round two today, i want to lose 10 more pounds. I paid $72 on amazon for the program, i think it was worth it, i got like 10 new workouts to do and a meal plan that is easy to follow and easy to keep track of. (i have done weight watchers in the past but it was just to time consuming this time, this focuses more on real food too, not sugar free fat free stuff) as far as shakeology goes, i tried a sample pack, it was good but $130 is just too much to pay for me, i found a protein powder called spirutein, i am using that with extra spirulina instead of shakeology
  • sarafina07
    Options
    the workouts can be really intense but the exercises are usually one minute long, if you can't last the whole minute you just stop and start up as soon as you can. it's fun to get better as you continue to do them!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4. its been an eye-opener to me as well, as others were saying. I definitely over-eat cheese and healthier options like avocados, and I dont realize how much ice cream and processed snacks I was eating until I had to not eat them! I actually had trouble having ONLY 3 veggies and 4 proteins (I eat 3c veggies just in a salad for lunch). I actually stopped counting the veggies (all raw or sauteed in homemade stock) and eat as many as I would like (closer to 5 total) and I plan to scale back to the amount recommended as I adjust more to the food amounts (Im in the 1200-1400cal range...but I usually eat closer to 1800-1900 when I am working out regularly...so it is definitely an adjustment)

I really liked the accountability as I'm in a facebook challenge group.
  • andreabuzzard92885
    Options
    I have been doing the 21 day fix for only a week and I have lost 2.5 pounds thus far....it's not a lot but it is great for the first week! I absolutely love trying to get creative with meals so I can still enjoy the things I love, like pizza! I am a little worried about how things will differ when I head back for my final year of nursing school in a couple of weeks though :-/....it does take a bit of preparation but I think that is with any kind of healthy lifestyle change. I would definitely recommend it if you are ready for commitment, but then again, any kind of weight loss/get healthy plan can be successful with the same effort. For me, my portions are my problem and plus I LOOOOVE carbs so this is helping me get control of those pieces of my life. :-)
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 21 Day Fix on Monday (8/4/14) and am looking forward to (hopefully) a program that will keep my attention and provide accountability. This is my first experience with a Beachbody product, so I'm not too sure what to expect, but I will post here with my experience as I move through it :smile:

My First Impressions:

1) Holy Crap!!! Did Just Spent Over $100 for a Gimmick Diet?!?: So, I can totally see why people think this is gimmicky...and perhaps it is, but in my opinion if this (or ANY program) gives someone the boost that they need to get started...and they can afford it...then who cares?!?!? I realize "losing weight is free" and "all you need is a caloric deficit to lose weight!"...well...if wishes were horses beggars would ride...some of use need a little more than that. One thing I WILL give the naysayers is I do HATE the name...I understand weight loss is a lifetime commitment, not a "quick fix". It is my hope that the program will help me tame down my portions and help me develop some good habits.

2) Shakeology: *deep breath* I AM trying the Shakeology (although I almost died when I saw how much it was) as I am challenged with breakfasts and thought on work days this might be beneficial (AND I got them at a discounted price with my challenge pack)...however; unless they prove to be fantastically amazing and rainbows shoot out of my bum after drinking them, I anticipate I will switch to a more cost effective method for shakes...but we shall see...on a bright note some of the recipes look super yummy and this is the ONLY way I will be able to enjoy my coffee as I REFUSE to drink gray coffee...

3) The Diet Program: My FIRST thought was "OMG those containers are TINY and I'm going to DIE!!!" So, after I read the program (and took a FEW more deep cleansing breaths) my anxiety waned a little bit and I realized "okay...really, this is pretty comparable to what suggested portion amounts are in other programs...MAYBE I'll be eating until I'm sated NOT busting at the seams".

4) The Exercise: Really this is what scares me the most...in ALL of my dieting career, and yes it has been long and colorful... I exercise has ALWAYS been my nemesis. It is a 7 day/week 30 minutes/day commitment and I have *NEVER* done this...no REALLY...I can say with 100% certainty I have NEVER exercised for 7-days in a row...this might be why I have a chronic case of the chubbies...but there it is...

5) Accountability: My coach (who is also a friend of mine so easy on the hate speech about BB coaches) uses a closed Facebook group for posting. The expectation is you are posting daily with your progress/ideas/support/etc. I have to admit I am looking forward to this the most.

So there it is! I'll post back in a week if I'm still in an upright position :happy:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I REFUSE to drink gray coffee...

I read this as gay the first time around. I thought you were gonna get trashed. My bad.
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I read this as gay the first time around. I thought you were gonna get trashed. My bad.

AAAAAAAAAH!!! Thank you for clarifying!!! GRAY!!! GRAY coffee!!!! Cause when you add skim milk it becomes a sickly GRAY!!! LOL
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i'm on day 15 of my first cycle on the 21 day fix. I feel like i've always tried to take short cuts, and although that works for the short term, it's not feasible for long term lifestyle changes. This program is. I feel better and am starting to enjoy vegetables. I had no idea how many greens i was missing in my regular diet. The program allows for some minor cheats so you can still enjoy your life, but it does take lots and lots of planning and produce shopping. I am feeling more toned and smaller overall. Actual numbers will be coming next monday.

Good luck in your search!

Any successful diet will take lots of prepping and planning. At least, any healthy diet. But good for you that you are broadening your horizons with vegetables! That will make eating healthy much easier. A lot of folks on these boards will promote losing weight by eating all the ice cream and pizza you want (as long as it is within your calories!) and while you CAN lose weight that way, it doesn't mean you SHOULD. Being thin does not equal being healthy and well nourished. Doing it the healthy way is your best bet!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

AAAAAAAAAH!!! Thank you for clarifying!!! GRAY!!! GRAY coffee!!!! Cause when you add skim milk it becomes a sickly GRAY!!! LOL

Now, it's probably me who'll get trashed. :blushing:
  • AggieManda
    Options
    To those of you doing the 21 Day Fix-- good for you! I hope you're getting results.
    I shouldn't read message boards anymore, there are so many inconsiderate and hateful comments. Who are we to judge what is going to work for someone else? Everyone has to find their own way and what works for them! Not you! And yes, Glad containers are cheaper blah blah blah but they don't do a heap of good if people don't know what to put in them or have accountability/portion control/diet cheating issues (like me). Some people need that structure to get back on track. And if that's what it takes, good for them. I just did a quick read through of this plan and did not see ANY supplements, as one poster wrongly pointed out.
    Just daily shakes, which it looks like is clearly stated are optional.
    I'm just tired of all the shaming that happens when people are just looking for information and a way for their own journey. What works for one will not work for all. So if you can be disciplined enough to log everything you eat, and go to the gym every single day and do structured work outs, good for you too. Not everyone has that kind of discipline yet.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Actually, the '21 days to create a habit' idea is a myth. Not a lick of truth to it whatsoever. Habit formation is dependent on individual differences and the activity that one is trying to turn into a habit.

http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/hbrc/2012/06/29/busting-the-21-days-habit-formation-myth/

So if we take averages into consideration, it'd be more like a 66 Day Fix... maybe.

You're right. Except it's worse than a myth: it's a marketing gimmick.

Plans like this choose 21 days because that's the outer limit for what people will *DEVIATE* from their normal habits. People start this and say to themselves "It's only 21 days. I can do this. It's not that long. I'll spend the money, lose the weight, and I'll be done in less than a month. Perfect!"

And they're right. You can put up with all sorts of inconveniences and discomforts if you know it's for a limited period of time. Think about how many times in life you got through difficult situations only because you knew it was "just for the week," or "only until Friday" or whatever. But if you went to work and knew that you could never really go home (what real weight management looks like) or that - if you could - you have no idea how long it will be (targeted one-time weight loss without continuing weight management) until you could, how many people would show up to work? Nobody would, that's who. And that's why none of these companies are going to try to sell the truth: there's no profitable market in it.

So they give people an artificial deadline which seems like it *might* be long enough to lose some weight, but not *so* long that they have to give serious thought to whether or not they can stick out for such a long period of time. Three weeks? Almost anyone has the willpower to stick with something for 3 weeks. Including the schmo sitting on his sofa right now listening to this sales pitch.

It's designed to capture an uneducated impulse buyer. No one other than an impulse buyer who hasn't done the first bit of research and forethought into a comprehensive weight loss plan would even seriously consider paying for something so readily available for free elsewhere. That's just the harsh, brutal truth of it.

BB Coaches and Herbalife and whoever else is reading this: Hey, you've got a job to do and money to earn. More power to you. Everyone's got to do something to keep the lights on. But let's not pretend it's something other than what it really is.
  • AggieManda
    Options
    So anyone who buys a diet product or needs help is an uneducated impulse buyer. Got it. *eyeroll*
  • infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Actually, the '21 days to create a habit' idea is a myth. Not a lick of truth to it whatsoever. Habit formation is dependent on individual differences and the activity that one is trying to turn into a habit.

http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/hbrc/2012/06/29/busting-the-21-days-habit-formation-myth/

So if we take averages into consideration, it'd be more like a 66 Day Fix... maybe.

You're right. Except it's worse than a myth: it's a marketing gimmick.

Plans like this choose 21 days because that's the outer limit for what people will *DEVIATE* from their normal habits. People start this and say to themselves "It's only 21 days. I can do this. It's not that long. I'll spend the money, lose the weight, and I'll be done in less than a month. Perfect!"

And they're right. You can put up with all sorts of inconveniences and discomforts if you know it's for a limited period of time. Think about how many times in life you got through difficult situations only because you knew it was "just for the week," or "only until Friday" or whatever. But if you went to work and knew that you could never really go home (what real weight management looks like) or that - if you could - you have no idea how long it will be (targeted one-time weight loss without continuing weight management) until you could, how many people would show up to work? Nobody would, that's who. And that's why none of these companies are going to try to sell the truth: there's no profitable market in it.

So they give people an artificial deadline which seems like it *might* be long enough to lose some weight, but not *so* long that they have to give serious thought to whether or not they can stick out for such a long period of time. Three weeks? Almost anyone has the willpower to stick with something for 3 weeks. Including the schmo sitting on his sofa right now listening to this sales pitch.

It's designed to capture an uneducated impulse buyer. No one other than an impulse buyer who hasn't done the first bit of research and forethought into a comprehensive weight loss plan would even seriously consider paying for something so readily available for free elsewhere. That's just the harsh, brutal truth of it.

BB Coaches and Herbalife and whoever else is reading this: Hey, you've got a job to do and money to earn. More power to you. Everyone's got to do something to keep the lights on. But let's not pretend it's something other than what it really is.

The 21 Day Fix was actually designed on the premise that it takes 21 days to make something a habit. Not just "you'll be good to go in 21 days." Any health and exercise plan that is going to be successful should be looked at as a lifestyle change, not as a diet. That's what the Fix sets out to do. Is it for everyone? No. I'm a coach and I've had people be successful and people fall off the wagon. Do I still support them either, way? Of course...because not everyone is perfect...and not everyone can make a change in just 21 days. But you harping on people for these decisions is helping no one but you to feel better about your rant. Like said above, some people need the accountability and support. If you don't need it, great! Glad you're one of the lucky ones. But I needed it to begin and have kept with it for 22 weeks, losing damn near 40 pounds and 30 inches. This program changed the way I thought about eating and portion control and choices. I'd tried tons of things before and nothing ever stuck. For some reason this did and I'm grateful.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I think the salient point in this thread is that at least some BB coaches can't read.