Coming off of Atkins

Options
I have been on Atkins at less than <30g NET carbs a day for 5 months now and hate it. I want to go back to my sort of typical healthy eating and I think I will start 5:2 as well. I was eating vegetables, fruit, wholegrains, legumes, sometimes some wholewheat bread or pasta. The reason it wasn't really working for me was because I was having one too many "off" days lol I'm in my third ear of university so had a few too many nights out followed by 3am trips to McDonalds and then mindless hangover eating. But that won't be happening anymore as I graduate next month so will be back on track! (with the odd treat here and there of course)

Question is, how slowly do I have to make the transition? A lot of people say you can jump straight in as long as you keep within a deficit. People often say they regain all their weight plus more when they stop eating low-carb but surely this is because they overeat and eat tons of junk food? I can't see that happening if you keep within a calorie deficit? Any insight would be great :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    If you've low carbed for a substantial amount of time and then reintroduce them, you WILL gain some weight back due to the influx of glycogen and water storing in the liver and cells. It's temporary though if you're staying in calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The time I stopped it I did what you described and went to my old way of eating.

I know the program had some way to slowly add back more carbs into the diet.

I would think if you switch to a simple caloric deficit you will be just fine.

I started on that 5:2 and found that the 4:3 be much easier to manage with great success.
    GOODLUCK
  • BryonyKate
    BryonyKate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff I understand I will gain some waterweight, but would I be able to shift that in a couple of weeks? I mean in terms of fat gain, how much could I expect?

Thavoice I think I may do 4:3 instead of 5:2 :) I've read a lot about JUDDD and it really appeals to me!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff I understand I will gain some waterweight, but would I be able to shift that in a couple of weeks? I mean in terms of fat gain, how much could I expect?

Thavoice I think I may do 4:3 instead of 5:2 :) I've read a lot about JUDDD and it really appeals to me!

You should not gain any fat as long as you stay at a deficit with your calories. I would gradually introduce more carbs into your diet the way you are supposed to when you transition to maintenance, but perhaps a little quicker than suggested by the Atkins program. That should minimize any sudden water gain, which could be a bit discouraging.
  • BryonyKate
    BryonyKate Posts: 32 Member
    Options

You should not gain any fat as long as you stay at a deficit with your calories. I would gradually introduce more carbs into your diet the way you are supposed to when you transition to maintenance, but perhaps a little quicker than suggested by the Atkins program. That should minimize any sudden water gain, which could be a bit discouraging.

yay that's what I was hoping to hear haha. But if I add the carbs in quicker than the program suggests, why would this minimize water gain? Wouldn't that make it worse? also how hard/easy is it to lose water gain?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    You could just follow the MFP programme of having a daily deficit and maybe if you want to avoid bloat, limit your carbs initially e.g. avoid refined carbs but get plenty of veg and follow that programme through to success and fruition?

I think maybe doing the 5:2 is just throwing yourself into another fad diet, especially if you are eating at a deficit the other 5 days?

MFP really works - trust me. I've been maintaining for over 2 years and eating whatever the hell I like. I believe there are no quick fixes for long term success.