Question about sugar

Options
Does anyone pay attention to their sugar levels on here? I know sugar is fruit and candy are almost the same but they are processed completely differently by our bodies, so does any one really keep track of having too much fruit??

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I could go on a huge spiel here, but short answer: no. I don't have diabetes, so I have no reason to track my sugar intake.
  • 23crizzle
    23crizzle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to limit all sugars except natural sugars. I don't worry if I eat too much fruit. I also don't pay attention to the sugar in my yogurt. I only eat greek plain so the sugar comes form the milk. I try to limit my processed sugar intake. I don't have diabetes. I just am trying to avoid processed foods. I am not always successful!
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm just making sure I'm on the same track as every one else. I understand if it's candy and everything but I mean I eat a lot of apples and bananas. At least one of them per day and normally come very close to my sugar intake. But most of the stuff is packed with other nutrients that I need.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Some wil steadfastingly say TRACK EVERYTHING.

So, you can try to track every little bit and drive yourself bonkers or do have you been.

As long as it is working...who the heck cares right?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It is advisable to limit your intake of sugar and processed foods, but if you are hitting your macro & micro nutrients and if you have space for a sweet treat - log it and enjoy it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I track my sugar and pay attention to the total amount regardless of the source -- too much is too much. One of the quickest ways to tell if you're eating too much (especially when you're younger) is your dental health. If you have cavities it's too much.
  • jeccawest91
    Options
    Well I have cavities but I don't eat a lot of sweets. My dentist said it was because of a decaying tooth that I had and that infection had spread to other teeth (causing cavities). I do track everything, I was just curious about the sugar because I know that fruit does pack quite a sugar punch but it does not necessarily give you the sugar crash that a candy bar gives you after s long because of the way it is digested by the stomach. Pretty much the whole topic of "good sugar vs bad sugar" even though that doesn't really exist because its still sugar.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Well I have cavities but I don't eat a lot of sweets. My dentist said it was because of a decaying tooth that I had and that infection had spread to other teeth (causing cavities). I do track everything, I was just curious about the sugar because I know that fruit does pack quite a sugar punch but it does not necessarily give you the sugar crash that a candy bar gives you after s long because of the way it is digested by the stomach. Pretty much the whole topic of "good sugar vs bad sugar" even though that doesn't really exist because its still sugar.
    Take it for what it's worth -- I'm just a stranger on the internet -- but cut back on the carbs. Seriously.
  • jeccawest91
    Options
    Take it for what it's worth -- I'm just a stranger on the internet -- but cut back on the carbs. Seriously.

But my carb level isn't all that bad and I'm not on a low carb diet... And the average minimum is 130 grams a day so why should I cut back on carbs?
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was going to pose a similar question, not because I want to indulge in sweets, but because the amount i can have is pretty low and that pretty much omits most fruits and veggies in a day. An apple is almost my whole day's worth of sugar and allows for one serving of veggies. I aim for about a 40/40/20 plan and always try to eat low glycemic foods as to not spike my insulin levels.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

But my carb level isn't all that bad and I'm not on a low carb diet... And the average minimum is 130 grams a day so why should I cut back on carbs?
    Because rotten teeth aren't normal or healthy -- and I wish someone would have told me that instead of brushing more I needed to change my diet. The research isn't all that compelling right now (that I've seen) but here's an article that might interest you. Or not, just putting it out there.

Oral health: A window to your overall health
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/in-depth/dental/art-20047475?pg=1
  • 23crizzle
    23crizzle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I see my dietitian, I bring her a print out of my week. She subtracts all sugar form fruit, veggies and my yogurt then looks at my sugars. If I am under then she says I am fine. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies a day. Usually at least 4 fruits and 4 veggies. I would be screwed if I counted them towards my sugar level. I have lost 34 pounds so what I am doing seems to be working for me!
  • jeccawest91
    Options

Because rotten teeth aren't normal or healthy -- and I wish someone would have told me that instead of brushing more I needed to change my diet. The research isn't all that compelling right now (that I've seen) but here's an article that might interest you. Or not, just putting it out there.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/in-depth/dental/art-20047475?pg=1

That's what I've read before about cavities coming from nutritional deficiencies. I am wanting to try oil pulling as I've heard its a natural remedy that works for teeth but I am weary. I had a filling that had broken and bacteria had crawled inside, thus destroying my tooth, root canal and crown bla bla bla lots of money later haha.
  • jeccawest91
    Options
    When I see my dietitian, I bring her a print out of my week. She subtracts all sugar form fruit, veggies and my yogurt then looks at my sugars. If I am under then she says I am fine. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies a day. Usually at least 4 fruits and 4 veggies. I would be screwed if I counted them towards my sugar level. I have lost 34 pounds so what I am doing seems to be working for me!

Oh that's really interesting, I should deff look into that then. I never thought about subtracting the sugar from fruits.
  • meatpuppet999
    meatpuppet999 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop tracking my sugar on here and switched it for potassium - it was disheartening to see a big red number every day just from eating fruit.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

That's what I've read before about cavities coming from nutritional deficiencies. I am wanting to try oil pulling as I've heard its a natural remedy that works for teeth but I am weary. I had a filling that had broken and bacteria had crawled inside, thus destroying my tooth, root canal and crown bla bla bla lots of money later haha.

oil pulling; highly accredited Dr---> http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/oil-pulling-the-habit-that-can-transform-your-health

Also, complete and total BS.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm just making sure I'm on the same track as every one else. I understand if it's candy and everything but I mean I eat a lot of apples and bananas. At least one of them per day and normally come very close to my sugar intake. But most of the stuff is packed with other nutrients that I need.

I really don't track my sugar a ton but try to stay away from the bad. Doesn't always happen but I try!

I eat a lot of sweet fruit. I never heard of anyone gaining weight off eating too many apples or bananas.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit, little candy or sweets, but it's in a lot of things. Do I look at it on the labels when buying things, of course, as I look at fat, carbs, protein, and sodium. Just be mindful of it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I try to limit all sugars except natural sugars. I don't worry if I eat too much fruit. I also don't pay attention to the sugar in my yogurt. I only eat greek plain so the sugar comes form the milk. I try to limit my processed sugar intake. I don't have diabetes. I just am trying to avoid processed foods. I am not always successful!

Your body doesn't know the difference between the sugar you're taking in, whether it's coming from your yogurt, your fruit, or whatever other source. Be careful with your wording, as well. Yogurt is a processed food, as it goes through a process to go from a natural state (raw milk) to become your greek yogurt. Store-bought milk, frozen and canned food, bread products, etc, are all processed foods. Unless you are picking raw foods from the woods and eating them, or butchering your own meat, you are eating processed foods.
    Avoiding sugar really isn't necessary, as long as you take it in in moderation, whether the source is fruit, yogurt or a cookie.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't know the difference between the sugar you're taking in, whether it's coming from your yogurt, your fruit, or whatever other source. Be careful with your wording, as well. Yogurt is a processed food, as it goes through a process to go from a natural state (raw milk) to become your greek yogurt. Store-bought milk, frozen and canned food, bread products, etc, are all processed foods. Unless you are picking raw foods from the woods and eating them, or butchering your own meat, you are eating processed foods.
    Avoiding sugar really isn't necessary, as long as you take it in in moderation, whether the source is fruit, yogurt or a cookie.

This.

I don't track my sugar, I track macros. Sugar is a carb and would be counted there. I have found that tracking my macros helps keep it in check anyway.