low cal through the week, high cal weekends

Options
2»

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I do this calorie cycle thing and it works great. But you have to do the math, not just guess. I took my MFP allotted cals, times by 7, then minus 4000 for the weekend, and then divide the rest up for the 5 weekdays.

1000 cals a day and 3500 on weekends....are you a 5'1" woman?
    yea this is why im leaning against it at this point, i dont have a food scale for now so my counting is just volume measurements or estimations for a decent amount of items. could be hard to narrow down enough to be sure it isnt health depriving

as for the 1000/ day and 3500 on weekends, the 1000 was a bit of an exaggeration, and i can easily get to 4000 cals on a friday or saturday night alone if i drank beer and went for food afterwards. i try to keep a 2000/day average. may be a little low but i leave 200 or 300 cal allowance per day for condiments so i dont have to bother counting them
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I do this calorie cycle thing and it works great. But you have to do the math, not just guess. I took my MFP allotted cals, times by 7, then minus 4000 for the weekend, and then divide the rest up for the 5 weekdays.

yea this is why im leaning against it at this point, i dont have a food scale for now so my counting is just volume measurements or estimations for a decent amount of items. could be hard to narrow down enough to be sure it isnt health depriving

as for the 1000/ day and 3500 on weekends, the 1000 was a bit of an exaggeration, and i can easily get to 4000 cals on a friday or saturday night alone if i drank beer and went for food afterwards. i try to keep a 2000/day average. may be a little low but i leave 200 or 300 cal allowance per day for condiments so i dont have to bother counting them

I'm sorry, you don't want to bother with being accurate?
  • BigT555
    Options

i dont want to bother with a food scale when my estimations have obviously been pretty accurate considering my results, and most of what i eat can be measured without a scale due to numerical measurements i.e 2 peices of bread, can of sardines, an egg

not everyone needs a scale. i will get one (if needed) once i approach my goal and my deficit becomes smaller

ETA; i dont count condiments because it would be a pain in the *kitten* and they would all be estimates without a scale, i figure if i do it this way i can still have ketchup on a burger or butter on my sandwich without suffering, and if i dont it just adds to my deficit
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I can vary my calories throughout the week without any harm. I typically eat a lot less on Mondays because I eat more on the weekend and am not so hungry. If you shave even 50 calories each day off during the week, that's 250 extra calories you can use for the weekend. Like some others said though, make sure to feed yourself enough on workout days.

On a side note, it may be time to start looking for some new friends that aren't going to keep encouraging you to ruin your goals. People like people to be like them, and if you start getting in shape, they might (either subconsciously or on purpose) try to get you to drink more so you can go back to having a gut like them. It's OK if they poke a little fun at you for having a "girly" drink, but if they are really nagging, find a group that is into fitness. I had to drop some friends because all they wanted to do was drink and eat breakfast burritos at 2 a.m. Sometimes I still see them, but for the most part they weren't encouraging me to make my life any better in any way, just kind of stay where I was, and I can't be a 23-year-old partier forever.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    On a side note, it may be time to start looking for some new friends that aren't going to keep encouraging you to ruin your goals. People like people to be like them, and if you start getting in shape, they might (either subconsciously or on purpose) try to get you to drink more so you can go back to having a gut like them. It's OK if they poke a little fun at you for having a "girly" drink, but if they are really nagging, find a group that is into fitness. I had to drop some friends because all they wanted to do was drink and eat breakfast burritos at 2 a.m. Sometimes I still see them, but for the most part they weren't encouraging me to make my life any better in any way, just kind of stay where I was, and I can't be a 23-year-old partier forever.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Look for some new guys to hang out with who have lifestyles more like yours.
  • BigT555
    Options
    I can vary my calories throughout the week without any harm. I typically eat a lot less on Mondays because I eat more on the weekend and am not so hungry. If you shave even 50 calories each day off during the week, that's 250 extra calories you can use for the weekend. Like some others said though, make sure to feed yourself enough on workout days.

yea i get that, my friends are awesome though and really supportive, the girly comments are purely made in jest. i do have a couple friends who are into fitness but they have been for awhile so they dont really need to worry about these sort of things anymore lol. its just the age we're at, i dont imagine myself being happy with friends who didnt want to go out on a saturday night to hit the town.

this is my own issue to get through i dont put any blame on my friends at all, ill just have to tighten up for days i know im going out
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

yea i get that, my friends are awesome though and really supportive, the girly comments are purely made in jest. i do have a couple friends who are into fitness but they have been for awhile so they dont really need to worry about these sort of things anymore lol. its just the age we're at, i dont imagine myself being happy with friends who didnt want to go out on a saturday night to hit the town.

this is my own issue to get through i dont put any blame on my friends at all, ill just have to tighten up for days i know im going out

Yah guys are just like that...friends are friends if they didn't bait you I would worry

As for your plan I actually did it this week..not on purpose..just 70 one day, 100 then next, 126, 72 and 34 today, rest of the weekend is prelogged with fun food (pizza, chicken strips, pancakes, bacon) and I have an extra 800 calories...:drinker: not sure what I will fill it up with but liqour is always an option.

If it works out for the next couple weeks and I don't gain...(I am working up to maintenance) or even if I lose a few more lbs seems like a great plan for over the summer...cause let's be frank....

It is easy to stay in goal or even under through the week...Friday night comes and wham we want to have fun esp in the summer.

I say go with the plan but with only 20lbs to go consider getting a scale to weigh food during the week...prelog as much as you can just make sure you hit your macros everyday and see how it goes...I mean it's a good maitenance tactic too.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in athletic and muscle gains it's a bad idea. You need a steady steam of amino acids to repair muscles, and enough carbs to fuel workouts.

What's all this cray cray talk about 1000 cals a day??

Just learn to moderate, and cut a few empty carbs on the Saturday to get wasted on vodka.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

i dont want to bother with a food scale when my estimations have obviously been pretty accurate considering my results, and most of what i eat can be measured without a scale due to numerical measurements i.e 2 peices of bread, can of sardines, an egg

not everyone needs a scale. i will get one (if needed) once i approach my goal and my deficit becomes smaller

ETA; i dont count condiments because it would be a pain in the *kitten* and they would all be estimates without a scale, i figure if i do it this way i can still have ketchup on a burger or butter on my sandwich without suffering, and if i dont it just adds to my deficit

When you get a few pounds/ few body fat percentages from your goal, you're going to wish you had learned to be more accurate all along.

What used to take me 15 minutes now takes me 5, I know my list and eats so well, and it's very varied too. I'm so glad I persevered and learned how to log mega quickly and accurately. It's taken my fitness to incredible levels. And yes, I'm busy as hell, full time director of a business, single mum and triathlon competitor.

It's worth it. You can go and do all the fun shizzle after you've lost most of the weight. I promise. Just keep it in control.
  • BigT555
    Options

When you get a few pounds/ few body fat percentages from your goal, you're going to wish you had learned to be more accurate all along.

What used to take me 15 minutes now takes me 5, I know my list and eats so well, and it's very varied too. I'm so glad I persevered and learned how to log mega quickly and accurately. It's taken my fitness to incredible levels. And yes, I'm busy as hell, full time director of a business, single mum and triathlon competitor.

It's worth it. You can go and do all the fun shizzle after you've lost most of the weight. I promise. Just keep it in control.

perhaps, im a numbers guy though so i dont imagine it will take me long to get used to using a scale, i caught on to calorie counting within a day or two. ive been frequenting threads on how to use them to their full extent and whatnot whenever they come up

i just want to try and do this without a scale for as long as possible, im not sure exactly why, maybe getting a scale in my mind makes me one of the health nuts that ive been trying not to become (although im not sure why i dont want that either). i guess it seems more sustainable to me if i dont think about having to weigh out meals beforehand for the rest of my life
    If you're interested in athletic and muscle gains it's a bad idea. You need a steady steam of amino acids to repair muscles, and enough carbs to fuel workouts.

Just learn to moderate, and cut a few empty carbs on the Saturday to get wasted on vodka.
    not interested in muscle gains atm since im cutting fat, im not currently in athletics either so thats not an issue. the 1000 cal talk was just an exaggeration for the sake of the discussion, but ive decided not to go that route anyway for the time being and just fast on mornings of or after drinking

im pretty good at moderation with everything except alcohol, as soon as i get a couple into me i just drink without thinking about it. this is one aspect of my life i dont want to cut out at all though, im not going to get into shape at the cost of not having fun or losing any of my social life. i know this doesnt mean i have to drink but meh, its one of my vices
  • Springfield1970
    Options

perhaps, im a numbers guy though so i dont imagine it will take me long to get used to using a scale, i caught on to calorie counting within a day or two. ive been frequenting threads on how to use them to their full extent and whatnot whenever they come up

i just want to try and do this without a scale for as long as possible, im not sure exactly why, maybe getting a scale in my mind makes me one of the health nuts that ive been trying not to become (although im not sure why i dont want that either). i guess it seems more sustainable to me if i dont think about having to weigh out meals beforehand for the rest of my life

not interested in muscle gains atm since im cutting fat, im not currently in athletics either so thats not an issue. the 1000 cal talk was just an exaggeration for the sake of the discussion, but ive decided not to go that route anyway for the time being and just fast on mornings of or after drinking

im pretty good at moderation with everything except alcohol, as soon as i get a couple into me i just drink without thinking about it. this is one aspect of my life i dont want to cut out at all though, im not going to get into shape at the cost of not having fun or losing any of my social life. i know this doesnt mean i have to drink but meh, its one of my vices

I hear you! Still have fun, it's very important! Even though it gets in the way of my fitness, I still make room for a couple of total blow outs a month. I cut down in between though, it has more of an impact!

Could you perhaps have a break though? Just for a month? While you get yourself together weight wise, and do some fitness or strength work. You may not feel the need to binge drink so much, and just have a few with your mates, and still have a brilliant night out.
  • BigT555
    Options

I hear you! Still have fun, it's very important! Even though it gets in the way of my fitness, I still make room for a couple of total blow outs a month. I cut down in between though, it has more of an impact!

Could you perhaps have a break though? Just for a month? While you get yourself together weight wise, and do some fitness or strength work. You may not feel the need to binge drink so much, and just have a few with your mates, and still have a brilliant night out.
    ive thought about taking a break before, but i just feel it wont do much unless it is a decently long break. i figure ive got a good 6 months at the very least before im done with the cut.
    i get what your saying though, i do need to eventually cut down on my drinking if i want to get down to 185, its just tough to accept lol
  • Springfield1970
    Options

ive thought about taking a break before, but i just feel it wont do much unless it is a decently long break. i figure ive got a good 6 months at the very least before im done with the cut.
    i get what your saying though, i do need to eventually cut down on my drinking if i want to get down to 185, its just tough to accept lol

Try two months, it's very doable. You'll lose fat easier, gain/keep muscle, feel clear in your head, and reset your liver so you can get bombed on less (therefore saving dollars) when you go back to drinking. You'll have broken any habits too, maybe met different people.

Here's another thing, I don't go near guys I meet in bars anymore, it's the ones I'm training triathlon/gym with that I'm interested in nowadays. Yes, I'm long in the tooth, but I know lots of women of all ages that dig the sporty guys. They're fit, and usually focused career wise and emotionally too. It demonstrates strong self discipline and will, all this fitness stuff. Makes you feel better than booze ever will.

Good luck!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's pretty great. Go under the nutrition tab, and then at the bottom there's a daily and weekly button. To change the setting (it defaults to a revolving previous 7 days), go under settings to "weekly nutrition settings".

For me, my daily goal is 1760. I have 6233 left for the week, but I haven't logged my dinner yet for today, so I'd subtract what I have left for the day (795) from that, for 5438. Divide by the three days left for the week, gives me 1812 per day. That doesn't account for the exercise I'll do over the next three days either, nor for the extra calories I'll probably leave off today.

I'm a numbers nerd, so this appeals to me.

Oh you beauty! I didn't know you could do that and I also work on weekly calories with my week starting on a Monday.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I do exactly this and it's worked for these 8kg and has previously worked for 30+kg loss (the relapse was due to eating/drinking like it was a weekend every day of the week) but yup. 1100 - 1300 weekdays, minimum 1800ish + whatever alcohol calories on weekends (I don't track the booze cals). It keeps me sane. I'm perfectly capable and satisfied being very low cal on week days, so it is the perfect plan for me. My daily average (as near as I can tell) is about 1600-1700.