FAAAAAAAT.

Options
I've been wondering why I've been feeling extremely low the past few weeks and I reviewed my diet and I've been low on fat and on days when I hit my fat macro, I feel extremely good!

I've always been scared of fat for the fear of being fat. I know fat is essential in a diet but I've always disregarded that but now that I've realized that it affects my mood, I'm finally willing to let go of that fear!! Well to try my best at least. I have fat. I am not fat. I have fingernails but I am not fingernails!!

...or am I?
fingernails.gif

:laugh: (K, gross.)

But seriously though, has anyone else experienced this? Being too low on fat affects your mood?

Or certain kinds of food affects your mood? Or being deficient in something?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes.

not enough fat and I have bathroom issues

not enough protein and I am slow-mentally and physically- and constantly tired- cranky wild mood shifts.

I need both fat and protein in my world to make it function properly. ;
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've feel the same way whenever I go low on either fat or carbs. Plus low fat causes me bathroom issues. I also had a vit D deficency and that caused me to be very tired and sad.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    yes. Your body also has trouble using fat soluble vitamins A & D.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I never thought there was a correlation with certain foods, being deficient in certain nutrients and mood! Interesting. I shall check up on Vit D!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    lol that pic is so gross. but ya i feel the most satisfied after a meal when i meet my fat intake. i noticed after i eat a meal with avocado, i don't crave dessert!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I first started out on this little safari of good livin' I cut way back on fat...like almost no fat in my diet because that's what I thought you were supposed to do and fat is the devil, etc. Within a week I was having the shakes, light hotheadedness, and I even passed out on the side of the road. I went to see my doctor about it and he ***** slapped me for being and idiot.

These days I eat a fairly well balanced ratio of proteins/fats/carbs. A lot of nutrient dense awesomeness is also fatty...like nuts and avocados...I would be missing out on all of that nutrition if I was still afraid of fat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lol that pic is so gross. but ya i feel the most satisfied after a meal when i meet my fat intake. i noticed after i eat a meal with avocado, i don't crave dessert!

yeah I can't look at it- I have to scroll past it super fast- it weirds me out tremendously.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options

It's awesome to find out what works for you! Amazing how the body works! Haha
    yeah I can't look at it- I have to scroll past it super fast- it weirds me out tremendously.
    Sorry about the picture!! Lol
    When I first started out on this little safari of good livin' I cut way back on fat...like almost no fat in my diet because that's what I thought you were supposed to do and fat is the devil, etc. Within a week I was having the shakes, light hotheadedness, and I even passed out on the side of the road. I went to see my doctor about it and he ***** slapped me for being and idiot.

These days I eat a fairly well balanced ratio of proteins/fats/carbs. A lot of nutrient dense awesomeness is also fatty...like nuts and avocados...I would be missing out on all of that nutrition if I was still afraid of fat.

EXACTLY!! Fat has always been demonized. Oh no, passing out is not good. Well at least we've learned our lesson and hurrray for a balanced ratio of macros!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yeah food plays a giant part in our mood and body functions.

It is believed that mild/moderate depression can be resolved by proper diet and exercise. Food is Fuel we- as americans- often forget that because food is sold to us as a product... and packaged as so, with in mind $$, not nutrition. Hense the obseity problems we have in our capitalistic society.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If I don't have enough protein I get a headache. It's the only time I get headaches. I call it a meat headache.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Yeah food plays a giant part in our mood and body functions.

It is believed that mild/moderate depression can be resolved by proper diet and exercise. Food is Fuel we- as americans- often forget that because food is sold to us as a product... and packaged as so, with in mind $$, not nutrition. Hense the obseity problems we have in our capitalistic society.

Interesting. I shall do further reading about food, exercise and depression!
    If I don't have enough protein I get a headache. It's the only time I get headaches. I call it a meat headache.

How much is not enough protein for you?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I haven't read through all the other responses, so forgive me if this is a repeat. Vitamins E and K are also fat soluble.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at that honestly. Gosh, i am having problems with things like sodium. I put a teaspoon of salt on a burger tonight and it gave me like 2300 whatever of sodium, geesh. a teaspoon. Then, sugar, 2 scoops of sugar in a coffee just about puts me over my sugar allowance for day. Add in iced tea, and I am over. I am loosing any confidence in this i may have had.

Am i worrying too much about these things?
  • WanderingPomme
    Options

I haven't read through all the other responses, so forgive me if this is a repeat. Vitamins E and K are also fat soluble.

Thank you for your response!
    I don't even look at that honestly. Gosh, i am having problems with things like sodium. I put a teaspoon of salt on a burger tonight and it gave me like 2300 whatever of sodium, geesh. a teaspoon. Then, sugar, 2 scoops of sugar in a coffee just about puts me over my sugar allowance for day. Add in iced tea, and I am over. I am loosing any confidence in this i may have had.

Am i worrying too much about these things?

Lol depends, I don't look much at my micros, although I check it sometimes too. Some say unless you're diabetic or there is a need to monitor your sugar for some illness, you don't have to worry so much if you're over. Having fruit completely messes up the sugar for me!

With sodium, having too much will cause your body to retain more water but note that being low on sodium isn't good as well! So you need to balance that out. Also, if you also have a need to monitor sodium with an illness you might have, that's when you need to focus on not having too much. :

Good luck with your journey!! Take it easy, you'll be fine! flowerforyou: