Make me go mountain biking.

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
So I've finally found a local club that seems pretty cool and agreed to a meet up tonight. I've only chatted online to people, in terms of my mountain biking experience it's pretty mediocre but I think I can hold my own, barely. However it's just bucketed down with rain and I reckon my *kitten* is gonna get handed to me with the hills, mud and tree roots, getting nervous as it's first ride out with a club full of people who are gonna ace it. Make me go people.

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just ask who the slowest rider is and find out if they want to be friends for the night. It's going to take a few weeks before you hold your own but it does help to have people in front of you pushing it so you push a little harder too.

Look at the first ride as a test to establish your baseline and then build some goals off that.

When I used to Mt. Bike all the time, any group of people had a mix of things they were good at. Some were slow up hills but could nail the single tracks. Others managed jumps no one else would take. Others were just fun to hang out and talk to. It's not a contest so just go to have some fun and if the people are no fun to ride with at your current skill set then find another bunch of people who are.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Go, who knows you may have a blast.

Also if you start making excuses now, you will keep making them.

And they are expecting you, you don't want to disappoint them.

Everyone starts somewhere, and at the beginning of the season most people will be a little out of shape.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    So I've finally found a local club that seems pretty cool and agreed to a meet up tonight. I've only chatted online to people, in terms of my mountain biking experience it's pretty mediocre but I think I can hold my own, barely. However it's just bucketed down with rain and I reckon my *kitten* is gonna get handed to me with the hills, mud and tree roots, getting nervous as it's first ride out with a club full of people who are gonna ace it. Make me go people.

Hopefully your club won't venture out on muddy trails (which damages the tread for all users). If it soaks in and dries enough to not hurt the tread, just have fun and don't worry about "keeping up" as I bet it's pretty low key with planned stops for everyone to catch up. Usually, the group breaks up into natural abilities/speed - so you'll be riding with somebody.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dude, i'm major jelly.

i was really intimidated being the new guy when i started with my triathlon club. but at my first work out i was surprised to see that i wasn't the worst cyclist or the worst runner. and even if i had been, big deal!! i'm there to improve, right??
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    You'll continue to make excuses if you find one this go round. I say go, they will be understanding that you're a newbie, and should be willing to help you better yourself. If not, maybe you'll need to find a better club. It's not like frats, there (hopefully) won't be any hazing or anything like that. So just go and enjoy yourself and make some new friends!

Also, have you tried confiding in someone who's already part of the group that you're nervous? They might be able to help ease your anxiety. Good luck, OP. :)

Edited because grammar
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No one should make you want to go mountain biking. I would go every day if I could! One of the funniest activities I do
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Go mountain biking, or that's your a**, buddy. Try me!

...Did that work? :smile: