Diastasis

Options
aliwhalen
aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
Okay, so I have diastasis, probably have had it my entire life as I've always had a pot-belly, even when I was thin. But, three pregnancies, one of which was twins, later and I constantly look a little pregnant. Not to mention all the extra skin there.

I'm looking for advice on exercises that I can do for other body parts, my arms, back and legs, that won't make the diastasis worse. I've already researched exercises for the diastasis, and they are infuriatingly boring, but I'm going to start trying them. One exercise I had wanted to do was squats, but read that the knee pain I was getting COULD be from poor core strength. Obviously that's the case for me. I also have hip pain from pubic symphysis and lower back pain from sacroiliac joint pain. Basically my core is a wreck, and I'd like to start doing some calisthenics to strengthen my core and the rest of my body on top of my cardio. I don't have access to a gym or weights.

A website or YouTube videos would be great. Extra points if you've successfully utilized the exercises and seen improvement!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    <crickets> Anybody?
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have diastasis, probably have had it my entire life as I've always had a pot-belly, even when I was thin. But, three pregnancies, one of which was twins, later and I constantly look a little pregnant. Not to mention all the extra skin there.

I'm looking for advice on exercises that I can do for other body parts, my arms, back and legs, that won't make the diastasis worse. I've already researched exercises for the diastasis, and they are infuriatingly boring, but I'm going to start trying them. One exercise I had wanted to do was squats, but read that the knee pain I was getting COULD be from poor core strength. Obviously that's the case for me. I also have hip pain from pubic symphysis and lower back pain from sacroiliac joint pain. Basically my core is a wreck, and I'd like to start doing some calisthenics to strengthen my core and the rest of my body on top of my cardio. I don't have access to a gym or weights.

A website or YouTube videos would be great. Extra points if you've successfully utilized the exercises and seen improvement!

Thanks so much!
    After six babies, I have one too. Do not really knowhow to address it - I am somewhat working on core strength and lifting heavy but I am focussing on running this year. I have to wait and see what it looks like after weaning my youngest - they say hormones influence it as well.