What heart rate monitor do you recommend?

Options
Hello all,

I've been looking for a good heart rate monitor that is accurate but won't break the bank. Which ones do you use & do you like them? Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Most people on MFP have recommended Polar brand - so I bought the Polar F6 and love it. There is a newer one Polar F7 or FT7 out now. None of these are over the top expensive - middle range as far as HRM's go. You need to get one with a chest strap for accurate calorie burn counts - and that is programmable with age, weight, height, sex. Good luck!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yeah I have the Polar FT7 for women. I like it, its fantastic to have a calorie gauge for circuit training and off-machine work like classes, I also find it to give me different numbers than the machines. I think it was about $100 at Best Buy. I cant give you a good idea about battery life or accuracy over time since I have only had it about a month :)
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I got the polar transmitter that you can swap the battery out. Several people I know bought the other type and were really frustrated that they had to send it back to Polar to swap the battery and it cost almost as much as the transmitter just to replace the battery.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    how much is the Polar brand, if its OK to ask?
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just bought my polar f6!!!!!!!!!! im in love!!!!
  • FelipaJ
    FelipaJ Posts: 71
    Options
    I LOVE my FT7 :love:
    purchased for just under $100.
    As far as other Polar watches go, the price depends on the model.
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    I recently purchased a Polar FT7 and it was around $109.00. I love it, turn out I have been burning more calories than I thought.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    how much is the Polar brand, if its OK to ask?
    I got my Polar F6 for $54 at Sears - they are closing them out. Got a 3-year replacement for $8 since the chest straps are notorious for going out.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F11, the website where I bought it had it priced the same as an F7. I like it but I think any of them will work just fine, it just depends on what kinds of functions you are looking for.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thank you all for that price ,and thank you stronger thanb4.......Lloyd
  • JeanBeanM
    JeanBeanM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all, I'll definitely check out the Polar brand. I've looked at a couple of different ones, New Balance, Sportline, etc but I wanted something someone else has used. :smile:
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline and while it works just fine, I really wish I had bought the Polar FT7. Mostly, it comes down to features and personal comfort.
  • vinay0505
    vinay0505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask a similar question. But I couldn't find a way to start a new post. So I am stealing your thread! :)

I am looking for a inexpensive HRM - below $50. Any recommendations about Timex T5G971? This one comes for $40 at amazon, and it does have calorie counter as well.
  • JeanBeanM
    Options
    I wanted to ask a similar question. But I couldn't find a way to start a new post. So I am stealing your thread! :)

No worries, I searched high & low to see if this had been posted elsewhere. On a side note, I had a Sportline 1025 that worked for about 3 minutes. I called customer service only to find out they were only open Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm, took 4 tries to get a hold of them and when I finally did I was handed off to 4 people. The last person told me to reset the unit (the procedure isn't in the manual) and if that didn't work to call them back. I was so disappointed with the customer service I just returned it to the store and haven't bought another one yet.

The Polar FT4 looks like it may be a winner for me though, heading to the store after work to check it out. :smile:
  • rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 just last week and so far I really like it. This is my first HRM so I don't really have much to compare to. I got it at Target for around $96.
  • JeanBeanM
    Options
    So I went to the Sports Authority last night to check out HRM's, I ended up buying the FT4 for $89.99. I didn't get a chance to try it out will do that tonight and give a full report tomorrow. Thanks to all that posted their advice.:happy:
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    as a reference, I have a Polar 720i that I've had since 2004. battery has been replaced once. I've had a few other brands over the years, but Polar is the best I've used.
  • JeanBeanM
    Options
    Tried out my new FT4 & it's GREAT!! It's easy, nice and simple. Thanks for the advice to all.
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    this is just for life expectancy reference of polar brand...I have an OLD one, can't rmember the model. I have had it for years (10 or so, I'd say) and never had any issues with the chest strap (battery wise). the watch portion has had the battery replaced twice (batteries for $5 at the pharmacy). I am hoping to get a new one to count calories soon, though i still use the watch portion as a watch! I'm sticking with polar brand all the way.
  • mam734
    mam734 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've got the Garmin Forerunner 305. It does a great job with the HRM, and also has a built in GPS, that is great for time + distance when walking outdoors. it was a little pricey @ ~$140.