Even My Feet are Fat!

Options
It seems that as soon as Mother Nature turns up the heat, I start retaining water and gain 8-10 pounds. Most often, I don't lose it until fall. The doctor says I'm healthy and it's just the way it is. I drink a ton of water a day so it's not that I'm dehydrated.

Anyone have an idea how to get rid of the water weight? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    do you eat a lot of high sodium foods? is your sodium intake high in general? my feet swell when i eat foods that are loaded with sodium so i have to be careful how much i get on a daily basis. if i see it creeping close to 1500 i double my water. on a typical day i drink 96oz of water but on days when my sodium is high i drink 128oz or more.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is a water problem... having a high amount of water in ya is a really good thing... everyone should be hydrated - and if you saw a dr and they said its no problem, whats the issue?
  • skhny
    skhny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ugh!! I totally understand going through this now too!! it is very frustrating! I watch my salt, drink a ton and I take a diuretic for my blood pressure. I am up 3 pounds this week and it is all from the water - my fingers and ankles hurt and my ankles rub on my sneakers when I work out :( not fair!!!
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    How do you know its all from water?

I'm so confused? - when I drink tons of water I feel really good and it suppresses hunger?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Watch your salt intake
    Drink lots of water
    Eat at a calorie deficit
    Exercise
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I'm so confused? - when I drink tons of water I feel really good and it suppresses hunger?

No offense, but you're 24, male, and thin. For some women of a certain age, the heat + a little bit of salt wreaks havoc. My mother has that problem. She swells up like a water balloon when it's hot out. She's super sensitive to salt, too...has to eat an extremely low salt diet. She's not overweight...just one of those things...
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha....and I always thought that I was imagining things... I think, it's Mother Nature showing her sick sense of humor. Every year, when the sun's out and I put on a bikini, it feel like water ballon... It's not even funny.... I'm fine in winter.. It's not an age issue, either, been this way forever... I'm not overweight, I'm under 20% body fat, sodium isn't an issue, training 6 days a week, and I'm drowning in my daily gallon of water... Feeling better now, though, knowing that I'm not the only one confronted with this mystery.....lol
  • MrTolerable
    Options

No offense, but you're 24, male, and thin. For some women of a certain age, the heat + a little bit of salt wreaks havoc. My mother has that problem. She swells up like a water balloon when it's hot out. She's super sensitive to salt, too...has to eat an extremely low salt diet. She's not overweight...just one of those things...

No offense taken! thanks for the explanation - looks like there is a great deal to look forward to experiencing in life years down the road...

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

No offense taken! thanks for the explanation - looks like there is a great deal to look forward to experiencing in life years down the road...

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Unless you're planning to become a middle aged or elderly woman, I don't think you have much to worry about. :smile:
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    lol! My stomach pops out like a mini-pregnant belly when I take in too much sodium (or, well, any sodium). I'm not heavy at all, but just enough sodium makes my pants not button (I'm a size 1 and have this issue). I'm 22, so I'm not sure if by 'mother nature' and 'heat' you meant menopause or what, but if not, I haven't noticed any correlation between hot weather and bloat. Of course, I live in Florida....maybe I'm just perpetually bloated and don't even know!

edit: hahahah, ew, you know when you get that water bloat and jump up and down and can hear it moving? So freaky.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't have health or sodium issues, and am not overweight, but I retain water SO easily also. I don't even eat lots of things super high in sodium and I always exercise, yet I can tell that I retain water after I do have that kind of food or have booze. I can even feel it in my fingers, especially in the summer. It takes at least a couple of days for me to get rid of the water bloat. When I was pregnant many moons ago with my daughter, my legs blew up like balloons and I had Fred Flintstone feet...I could barely even get flip flops on! It was all water gain. At that time, per the doctor's instructions, I cut out all processed food as much as I could - avoided anything from a can or bottle - and it didn't help. I wish I knew of a way to get rid of it quick but about all I can seem to do is really watch the sodium for the next few days and drink lots of water and tea and be patient.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    what types of diets are you on?
    do you eat carbs like breads and starches or is it strictly a protein fat diet, with veggie carbs?

I feel like if I had this problem I'd be even more strictly Paleo ...
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! And I'd love to know why it seems to only happen with the temps go up? In the winter I'm fine but once it gets warm, my feet balloon! I found when I was thinner it didn't happen but once I put weight on, that was it. The only thing my doc has recommended is support hose...like I'm going to wear those in the 90 degree summer :laugh:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm glad I'm not the only one...but it sucks! Guess it's that woman of a certain age and dealing with the heat.

Diet - fairly clean eater, lots of veggies (no salt added), lean meats, low carb - except fruit a few times a week, very little processed.
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    what types of diets are you on?
    do you eat carbs like breads and starches or is it strictly a protein fat diet, with veggie carbs?

I feel like if I had this problem I'd be even more strictly Paleo ...

I'm starting to go more Paleo to see if it makes a difference, simply because I'm miserable! About 10 years ago I did the South Beach Diet and had great success with the low carbs and lots of veggies. My feet stopped swelling and I felt great. I don't want to go back to SBD now however since they advocate artificial sweeteners.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm glad I'm not the only one...but it sucks! Guess it's that woman of a certain age and dealing with the heat.

Diet - fairly clean eater, lots of veggies (no salt added), lean meats, low carb - except fruit a few times a week, very little processed.

wow... yeah can't get any more healthy then that... :embarassed:

thought for sure it would be diet..
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

got home from work last night - had a few glasses of wine while sitting on the front porch. feet swelled up and at that point my sodium intake for the day was at 722.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    are they painful?

for me the only thing that works is that drinking lots of fluids. doesn't have to be just water though.

this usually only takes one day.

the pills work too but I don't find them to be as effective plus they cost money I don't have to spend b/c I was gonna drink fluids anyways might as well just have more.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Lemon in your water may help a bit. I am assuming your blood pressure is good or the doctor would have been worried.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was having a horrible time with this last year. I started taking a magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement twice a day and it took about 3mos of taking it regularly before it stopped the puffy feet, etc. It's worth looking into if you think it might help in your case. If you'd rather not take a supplement, maybe you could add more mineral-rich veg to your diet like spinach.

PS: I take the Trader Joe's m/c/z supplement. Love their prices!)