how to figure out calories burned

Options
Hi...I am a cashier in a grocery store part time. I work 6 hours on Sunday, very busy and 4 hours on Monday and Tuesday nights. I do this in addition to my full time job. Does anyone have an idea of how I can track calories burned( I dont have a HRM yet), or what would be a good comparison in the exercise data bank. I hate not counting the calories, as I like to be able to have a bit more to eat some days and generally dont get to do any additonal exercise on Monday and Tuesday nights .Any suggestions would certainly help. thanks.

Replies

• Desiree219
    Options
    When you first sign up, it asks you how active you are in your day to day life. That would include how active you are at your job and other things you do every day. The system takes that all into account when it tells you how many calories you should be eating each day. If you add calories burned while you're at work, you're essentially putting in in twice, because it's already accounted for.

Good Luck!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    If you're basically standing at a till the closest I can see in the database would be Cooking or food preparation.

But only add it if you are set as sedentary like Desiree says.

Remember you really should be subtracting your BMR from that as well to be accurate. I wouldn't recommend eating all the calories you earn.

Take your Basel Metabolic Rate and divide by 24 to get an hourly BMR.

i.e. I have a BMR of 2700. This is 112.5 per hour. You've already been allocated that part in your daily allowance.

It says I burn 236 calories per hour of Food Prep.

Food Prep (236) minus BMR (112.5) = 123.5

So if I cooked and prepared food for 8 hours then I'd get 123.5 * 8 = 988 extra calories!
  • jme959
    jme959 Posts: 18
    Options
    When I singed up i entered my daily activity based on my full time job and other normal daily activities, not on my part time job. I am a cahsier at a grocery store, with lots of lifting and reaching, not just like a cashier at a clothing store. We actually work up quite a sweat, especially on the weekend shifts, as we are a very busy store. I dont want to adjust my daily activity for everyday as I only work there the 3 shifts during the week. I hadnt thought about the BMR, thanks for the idea.