guy next to me on the elliptical...

Options

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    just move.
    not worth choking for 20 minutes.

^^^So much this. Who cares what that guy thinks. If you don't want to smell him just move.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Kinda unsure why you'd need to pretend the machine is broken. I'd just hop off the one I'm on and go to another one after a drink of water. Not a biggie.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Pro Tip: If you have to fart at the gym, first check to see if your neighbors are wearing earphones.

That is amateur moves right that. Really pros just blast and blame it on the clean eating.
  • theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    "and it wasn't the good axe kind"
    There's a good Axe smell?
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me and I've moved. I guess I've never considered that I may be offending anyone.....more preoccupied with the fact that I'm offended by stank!
  • erzilie
    erzilie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    humans are gross oily sulfurous eggfart stench factories. point to anyone in a crowd and at some point they have made someone else uncomfortable with a questionable fragrance that they are emitting. it's an unspoken covenant of humanity: you deal with the smells brought upon you, so that others may also deal with the smells you bring upon them.

should you breach this sacred blood-bond, this holiest of oaths, so too may others shun you in your moments of overwhelming elevator farts and billowing workout farmstank.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of a gym rat and have only run into this once before and the guy stank so much that I couldn't take it.

I had to move on to another machine. It does happen.

Now what I do if I see him on the elliptical is to wait until he's done. There are lots of other exercises that I can do until I can get back to the elliptical.
  • notsorrymrsjackson
    Options
    very very poetic :flowerforyou:
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I've had this happened but I've also had a guy who smelled like bounce sheets!!! It was so amazing, I wanted to follow him to every machine. LOL
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    Kinda unsure why you'd need to pretend the machine is broken. I'd just hop off the one I'm on and go to another one after a drink of water. Not a biggie.

^^Yeah, this
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I head straight to the gym after a 10 or 12hr shift at work. I'm probably the person everyone is scrambling to get away from.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no need to waste time being indecisive. Just move.

b01d1f68a670a756a0c205d4a790c8a8.jpg
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    just move.
    not worth choking for 20 minutes.
    Just move..Exactly! No explanation needed. Take care of self.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd move. If you're afraid of hurting his feelings, look at your phone, pretend you have a message, get off and adjust your sock, retie your shoe, go fill your water bottle - whatever. But I can't stand the smell of strong BO (it actually has this messed up memory trigger for me) so I'd be outta there.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    humans are gross oily sulfurous eggfart stench factories. point to anyone in a crowd and at some point they have made someone else uncomfortable with a questionable fragrance that they are emitting. it's an unspoken covenant of humanity: you deal with the smells brought upon you, so that others may also deal with the smells you bring upon them.

should you breach this sacred blood-bond, this holiest of oaths, so too may others shun you in your moments of overwhelming elevator farts and billowing workout farmstank.

No. Because showers. And social standards.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Dang. After reading this thread, I'm gonna have to double up on the Axe next time I'm in the gym. Didn't realize how many people hated the stuff.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just move next time? Who cares about what he feels or thinks about you moving.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Dang. After reading this thread, I'm gonna have to double up on the Axe next time I'm in the gym. Didn't realize how many people hated the stuff.

I love the smell but I hope you are bring sarcastic lol that's just ignorant
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Well you guys at least have the option. I HAVE to train my clients who reek. Not their fault in most cases. But after awhile, the smell reduces.
    If it came to me training and I encountered it, I just move. If you like the spot you're at, you could always act a fool, sing, talk out loud to yourself and get them to move.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just increase the speed. Your he will then increase speed to compete and soon he will be winded and leave.

Either that or grab you gear and walk past the front of him to be sure he notices. Maybe hold your nose if you don't think he will acknowledge subtlety.