Metformin

Options
so i'm type I diabetic and my dr. prescribed metformin to help aid with insulin resistance. has anyone else been prescribed this? did it help with weight loss? did it also help with lowering the amount of insulin you took? i read on an earlier thread that people combined it with a low carb diet (~50-100 grams per day) -- is that purely grains or fruit/veg/etc?

thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I use metformin for insulin resistance too. I also restrict my carbs to similar levels -- I aim to keep them under 100 g per day and often fall in the 50-80 g range. I don't need insulin (I've got too much), so I can't address that aspect. For me, it's been part of a whole package where I was finally able to lose weight like a normal person.

I also have a thyroid issue which was diagnosed at the same time, so I can't say for certain whether it's the metform or the thyroid meds, but I believe it's likely a combination of both (I have no desire to test this as I finally found what I needed).

You can check out the PCOS, diabetes, etc. threads and you'll find a lot of people using metformin in conjunction with a low carb, calorie restricted diet to lose weight.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic and I take 500mg of metformin twice a day. I've only been taking it 3 weeks but I have lost weight. I've also started eating healthier and done a little exercise. It could be the combination. They do say that metformin can aid the weight loss. My mom is type 2 also and she takes metformin and insulin. It does help lower the amount of insulin that she takes.

I try to limit my carbs. Usually less than 200 per day. I don't eat much bread anymore and no pasta. Most of my carbs have been coming from fruits, vegetables and beans. I have a small sweet low carb treat here and there. The carbs add up quick.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    so i'm type I diabetic and my dr. prescribed metformin to help aid with insulin resistance. has anyone else been prescribed this? did it help with weight loss? did it also help with lowering the amount of insulin you took? i read on an earlier thread that people combined it with a low carb diet (~50-100 grams per day) -- is that purely grains or fruit/veg/etc?

thanks for the help!!!
    Type 1 diabetes is not insulin resistance, Diabetes is the result of unchecked insulin resistance and is a more severe chronic condition. I would suggest you get your information from a dedicated diabetes site like the ADA, Prevention etc
    Also try and also check out Dr Bernard Bernstein's site, for up to date and accurate information on the condition.
    By the way fruits are a no-no for diabetics, because of their high sugar content.

The link below is very helpful, and has loads of information if you have diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Not sure about type 1 and calling it IR, but anyways, metformin has been great for me. It greatly decreases my appetite and cravings. I can tell when I've forgotten my meds because I'll get very, very hungry.

I limit to less than 45gm carbs per meal or 135/day. If I plan to have snacks, then I keep meals under 30gms,to allow for it. When counting carbs for diabetes, every thing counts. Meaning, the carbs In fruits and veggies are counted just the same as for chips or donuts.

The goal is to have a slow, steady amount of carbs throughout your day and avoid spikes. Always have some kind of protein with your carbs too. This helps slow down digestion and reduces the sugar spike. Taking a walk, or any exercise, after meals also helps to burn off some of the sugar.

There is a ton of diabetes information online. Spend some time doing a bit of reading and learn about how to manage it.
  • pishposh12
    pishposh12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your input, but I have had type I for 20 years. I know that it is type I, and this is a new medication I am doing. Insulin resistance can naturally happen over time to diabetics, so I was curious to see if any other diabetics had been through something similar.

I'm interested in seeing how this has worked in conjunction for others. Thought this might be a good place to reach out.

Thanks for the input!
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin now for almost 10 years. I take it for insulin resistance.
  • pishposh12
    Options

thanks for the help!!!
    Type 1 diabetes is not insulin resistance, Diabetes is the result of unchecked insulin resistance and is a more severe chronic condition. I would suggest you get your information from a dedicated diabetes site like the ADA, Prevention etc
    Also try and also check out Dr Bernard Bernstein's site, for up to date and accurate information on the condition.
    By the way fruits are a no-no for diabetics, because of their high sugar content.

The link below is very helpful, and has loads of information if you have diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/

..or a doctor. i appreciate your concern, however this felt a bit aggressive without any sort of real point of interest. thank you for the information, but you list fruits as a no-no but not starches like pasta/bread? where are you getting the no fruit information?
  • loriyeater
    loriyeater Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started taking Metformin 500MG twice a day about 5 months ago to help me lose weight (pre-diabetic). I didn't notice much weight loss until I started eating really clean: lean protein, veggies, very little fruit, some nuts, non-fat dairy, no wheat, no white rice, no sugar, no coffee. But once I committed to eating clean, the weight just dropped off, not sure if Metformin help it along. I lost 14 lbs in 4 weeks...a large part of that is reduced inflammation, I am sure, because my belly dropped 5" around my waist and my knees feel way better (arthritis in both knees).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your input, but I have had type I for 20 years. I know that it is type I, and this is a new medication I am doing. Insulin resistance can naturally happen over time to diabetics, so I was curious to see if any other diabetics had been through something similar.

I'm interested in seeing how this has worked in conjunction for others. Thought this might be a good place to reach out.

Thanks for the input!

Type I diabetics do not produce the hormone insulin. Therefore, it's impossible for a type I diabetic to become insulin resistant.
  • pishposh12
    Options

Thanks for the input!

Type I diabetics do not produce the hormone insulin. Therefore, it's impossible for a type I diabetic to become insulin resistant.

right, but you can be resistant to the insulin you put in your body. they make a synthetic version of insulin, which type I diabetics take. over time, you can develop resistance to this synthetic hormone.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so that means insulin resistance as well. I've taking metformin for over a year. I try to be on a low-carb diet and true it is hard, especially for someone like me who used to love bread so much. However, not impossible. My advice would be: forget junk food forever,sugar is a complete noooooo, limit your grains intake as they're loaded with carbs. Low-carb diet can be boring if you're lazy at cooking, but you can discover so many cool recipes online.
  • pishposh12
    Options
    I have PCOS so that means insulin resistance as well. I've taking metformin for over a year. I try to be on a low-carb diet and true it is hard, especially for someone like me who used to love bread so much. However, not impossible. My advice would be: forget junk food forever,sugar is a complete noooooo, limit your grains intake as they're loaded with carbs. Low-carb diet can be boring if you're lazy at cooking, but you can discover so many cool recipes online.

what do you do with your fruit intake?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input!

Actually, Type 1 diabetics CAN become insulin resistant. It is called "double diabetes" and basically it is where their dose of insulin is no longer having the same effect as it once did and they need higher and higher doses to keep blood sugar in check.
  • xesixb
    Options
    I started taking Metformin 500MG twice a day about 5 months ago to help me lose weight (pre-diabetic). I didn't notice much weight loss until I started eating really clean: lean protein, veggies, very little fruit, some nuts, non-fat dairy, no wheat, no white rice, no sugar, no coffee. But once I committed to eating clean, the weight just dropped off, not sure if Metformin help it along. I lost 14 lbs in 4 weeks...a large part of that is reduced inflammation, I am sure, because my belly dropped 5" around my waist and my knees feel way better (arthritis in both knees).

This is so true. Once you start eating clean, that's when metformin helps kick the weight off.

Maaaan, I miss white rice so much. I am used to not eating grains now, but not having rice has been definitely a struggle. First, they say no sugar and you're like 'I can live with that', then no grains 'Wow, what am supposed to eat?' and finally no rice 'You're kidding right?! What harm can a fine bowl of rice do to my body?'. These were my thought everyday for the first month.

It's hard at first but you'll get used to it and do great!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I take Metformin for very bad insulin resistance and I still eat fruit. My endocrinologist says there's nothing wrong with diabetics or people with insulin resistance eating fruit. It's all about the fruit you choose to eat. Eat low glycemic fruits like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Green apples and green grapes are okay as well, in moderation of course.
  • xesixb
    Options

Well, I usually have an apple a day, but we got around 20 lbs of apples last week and I've been overdoing it, but I usually keep it a fruit per day.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin for about 16 years as I was 'pre disposed to be diabetic' due to being over weight and family members who were.

I am happy to report after losing 60 pounds (in 1-1/2 years) that I no longer require Metformin to help keep my blood sugar in check!

I went from 500/mg 1x a day; to 500/mg 2xs a day; to 1500 (1 500/mg in the AM; and 2 500/mg @ night) and then to 2000/mg (2 ea 1000/mg dosages a day!) I've been off it for about 2 months now and will be going back to the doctor's in July to have blood sugar checked.

My doctor calls me her poster child for the correct way to lose weight & get healthy (eat right, measure foods, exercise, etc). She told me she has NEVER in her career had a patient do this on their own like I have. :blushing: I told her I used MFP and she told me she's tried to get her husband to use it and he sees no benefit in it. Humm; I think he is wrong!

Anyway .. that is my story ...

Regards
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

This is so true. Once you start eating clean, that's when metformin helps kick the weight off.

Maaaan, I miss white rice so much. I am used to not eating grains now, but not having rice has been definitely a struggle. First, they say no sugar and you're like 'I can live with that', then no grains 'Wow, what am supposed to eat?' and finally no rice 'You're kidding right?! What harm can a fine bowl of rice do to my body?'. These were my thought everyday for the first month.

It's hard at first but you'll get used to it and do great!

Have you tried spaghetti squash? I use it for my curry where I used to have rice. It obviously won't work for things like sushi where you need the rice, but if rice is just a sauce delivery vehicle like it is for thai, spaghetti squash may be a good substitute. I also use it as a pasta substitute for my vodka sauce -- also awesome.
  • pishposh12
    Options
    omg. spaghetti squash is amazing. and so filling! i made a mediterranean 'pasta' with kalamata olives, feta, and tomatoes. so yummy! what thai recipes do you make?
  • Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input!

Hello- I just wanted to add my .02. My doctor has also prescribed me Metformin to assist my body in metabolizing insulin. I'm also on insulin. Metformin works like this:

In healthy people, the liver produces glucose during fasting to maintain normal levels of cell energy production. After people eat, the pancreas releases insulin, the hormone responsible for glucose absorption. Once insulin is released, the liver should turn down or turn off its glucose production, but in people with Type 2 diabetes, the liver fails to sense insulin and continues to make glucose. The condition, known as insulin resistance, is caused by a glitch in the communication between liver and pancreas.

Metformin, introduced as frontline therapy for uncomplicated Type 2 diabetes in the 1950s, up until now was believed to work by making the liver more sensitive to insulin. The Hopkins study shows, however, that metformin bypasses the stumbling block in communication and works directly in the liver cells..http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/contact-us/6740-new-information-on-how-metformin-works

I haven't found it's assisted me in losing weight to be honest, but I have found that I can reduce my insulin intake while taking it. It's definitely helped stabilize my blood sugar. I am not a carb counter, but I find that if I eat complex carbs (lower on the GI) it also helps prevent large spikes which can lead to hypoglycemia later on. It's difficult to find the delicate balance that works for you. I find that if I exercise vigorously and take Metformin I need less insulin, but everyone is different. I just wanted to share my own experience with you. You're not alone here!! :flowerforyou: