P90X

Options
I am thinking about starting P90X. Does anyone have any feedback on it? I am a little skeptical..I love going to the gym and am afraid that if i start working out at home that I will slowly fall off my workout schedule. How did yall like P90X and about how many calories do you burn per workout session?

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    We did it for six weeks and got quite fit but actually gained weight. We didn't follow the diet though. We have tried the cardio ones since getting a HRM and they don't burn tonnes of calories, way less than Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper DVDs do.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about starting P90X. Does anyone have any feedback on it? I am a little skeptical..I love going to the gym and am afraid that if i start working out at home that I will slowly fall off my workout schedule. How did yall like P90X and about how many calories do you burn per workout session?

Burn is anywhere from 400-550 dependent on weight and how hard you push.

I fully believe in them. Stick to their diet or build your own that is similar.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Burn is anywhere from 400-550 dependent on weight and how hard you push.

I fully believe in them. Stick to their diet or build your own that is similar.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of info on P90X on the threads. There is a search tab above. P90X is a great workout. i burn 300-400 calories during the lifting sessions and 700 plus calories during the plyometrics DVD. There are 12 DVD's.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Great program! I finish my 4th round (P90X/Insanity hybrid) next week.

I used to be a "gym rat" but I love the aspect of being able to do this at home.

Well worth the investment.
  • CHAR41
    CHAR41 Posts: 1
    Options
    Love P90x, a great way to start including lifting into your workout and it was great for toning me up all over. My arms have never looked better. I like that they do focus on flexibility on all the workouts. I prefer to include additional cardio days as I wanted the extra calorie burn that you don't always get with the lifting. Just like any other workout it will burn more calories the harder you work it - even when lifting. I like a variety in my exercise routine and this is still fun - I also added the P90x Plus tapes which are great. Pretty tough workouts so not great for just starting out unless you are adept at modifying. Lifting tapes probably 300-400k the cardio tapes 500-600k (you need to challenge yourself on the Kempo tape) and Plyo easy 600k if you do all the squats!

I did do this with my husband so it was easier to keep on track those days one or the other of us were feeling lazy. I am the type that whenever I change my routine it takes awhile to get into the habit. This time of year it is tough to come back inside for workouts and about time to start a round of P90x.
  • emilymichelle2281
    Options
    I have some friends that started doing it and they look amazing! I tried it and more times than not, I would just hit "next" on the DVD or simply turn it off and start cleaning the house, etc... For me, I need to be in a gym or outside running. If I try to work out at home I get distracted.

But that's not P90X's fault. The program is an amazing workout if you are diciplined enough to stick with it. If you do decide to buy it, I reccomend Amazon or another site like that. I bought all of my DVD's for $40 on Amazon. No need to pay full price.
  • p90xokc
    p90xokc Posts: 66
    Options
    I was basically an overnight convert. I always loved going to the gym...a gym rat so to speak. But I got more sore after my first p90x workout than i did in 3 weeks at the gym. Since then I've cancelled my gym membership, have completed 1 round of p90x, one round of insanity, and am in my 2nd week of round 2 of p90x. I would recommend doing insanity's meal plan if you want to lose weight. the p90x meal plan will keep you on a "maintenance" level in my opinion, not help you lose weight. But p90x is great, but you really do have to bring it...go all in, and you won't be disappointed.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had amazing results with P90X. SO glad I gave up the gym for it. Check my profile for links to my blog - I have my pics on there. LMK if you have specific questions about it.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    For those who have done P90X - How much floor space do you need? I live in rather small quarters right now and have limited floor space. My only "TV" is my computer (I don't watch television) and my office is rather small with bookcases and a seating area. What would you say is the minimum area of space needed to complete the cardio and weight training DVDs? Thanks!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    For those who have done P90X - How much floor space do you need? I live in rather small quarters right now and have limited floor space. My only "TV" is my computer (I don't watch television) and my office is rather small with bookcases and a seating area. What would you say is the minimum area of space needed to complete the cardio and weight training DVDs? Thanks!

Like the commercial says, you just need a 6 X 6 space. My husband and I workout in our family room every morning. We just move both ottomans.
  • carbonboy
    carbonboy Posts: 729
    Options

For some of the jumping around moves, I find I need an area of about 8 x 8, but for most of the other things 6 x 6 would work...though you'd be pretty cramped.

Also, for many people, P90X suggests too many calories and overestimates the calorie burn for the workouts. There are MANY threads out there about P90X and too many calories. And remember, it's not meant to be a weightloss program, it's meant to be a FITNESS program...and it is intense.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

Like the commercial says, you just need a 6 X 6 space. My husband and I workout in our family room every morning. We just move both ottomans.
    Hehe... I don't have a TV, so naturally I haven't seen the commercials :laugh: I've just seen the posts here about it and the success that friends have had with it.

I am looking for a way to build lean muscle mass without a gym membership. Unfortunately, I do not have even a 6X6 space right now to do this in. I'll have to wait until my living arrangements change...