splurge day?

Options
Is it good to have a "splurge" day each week ? - Or is it just every so often as in once a month ?

HELP!

Replies

• watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In the past, I have found that if I splurge, it makes it too easy to start eating those types of foods again. And there goes the progress. It's like smoking, once I quit, I knew that I could never have another cig again, as I would start right back up with the bad habit. So for me, no (planned) splurge days... =(
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not sure I would do it each week at least not a full out "splurge" but once in a while it is good I think. That's how I got over the plateaus was to increase my calories a little on weekends.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I splurge every weekend! :)
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have 2 splurge days each week; Saturday and Sunday. I just can't behave myself. ;(
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I splurge every weekend! :)

Same here!!! :wink:
  • megano_d
    Options
    If you are really altering your diet, you are likely cutting out foods that you crave. A splurge day introduces all those foods right back into your diet and then you have to work at beating the craving all over again. Its unneccessary suffering.

And truth be told, you NEVER have to plan a splurge. We are human and they will happen time to time. Planning them just ensures you likely have more of them than you should. In addition, I dont think an entire day is ever appropriate. At the most, you should go off plan at one meal. Never a whole day. That is just setting yourself up for failure and you deserve better!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Friday night is date night with my boyfriend so we go out to eat. I don't go crazy but if I eat 200 - 300 extra calories, I'm fine with it. Sometimes I even stay at my calorie goal. It's all about moderation and lifestyle.
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I splurge once a week. It is a habit I got into when I was on the Body For Life plan. It really helps my body know it is not starving and after a while, the splurging gets to be less bad as far as splurges go, at least for me. When your body gets used to healthy eating all week, it doesn't feel too well after eating a full tub of buttered movie popcorn :-).
  • brice02
    brice02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have one splurge meal a week, I plan for it, meaning I will work out harder either the day before, day of or day after, sometimes all three. If I plan it that way I fell like it is under control and won't be too damaging on the new "life style"
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've itnroduced an alcohol day 1 day per week and seem to still be losing with it. But I do allow for it with saving calories and exercising.

I think you need to regulate it and keep it under control. No point eating 4000 cals and a case load of sodium as that will just be like taking 2 steps forward and 2 steps back!

Trial and error tho :flowerforyou:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I have splurge meals on weekends so I can eat out with my family. I do have rules that help me not sabotage my weight loss:

1. Add additional cardio minutes day of and day after splurge
    2. Shrink the meals around the splurge by a hundred calories ex. I'll have oatmeal instead of oatmeal & banana for breakfast
    3. Drink full glass of water before splurge meal
    4. Eat serving of veggies before/with splurge meal
    5. Limit splurge to items I really enjoy so if I really love the brownie at a restaurant I just order the brownie not the ice cream that comes with it.

Eating the veggies and drinking water fills me up so the quantity of food I splurge on is alot less. Normally I don't have any weight change by Monday morning. I wouldn't splurge for the entire day. Just one meal.
  • freightdiva
    freightdiva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think having a splurge day is good while losing weight. I tend to have a meltdown naturally on the weekends and I have to fight this urge. Mostly I think if you are at your goal weight a splurge day is good but not if you are seriously trying to lose weight. I agree maybe just chose one meal that you have been craving and leave it at that! Good Luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I didn't call it a splurge day, but did have a cheat day this past Saturday, the first one in a while where i allowed myself to eat something that i hadn't had in a while...in this case pizza and dessert from Dairy Queen. Thankfully i've lost enough weight that i didn't eat as much as i would have in the past. I got a taste, enjoyed it and then moved on to my healthy eating again. I don't this will be detrimental in the end.
    It seems that all is good with limits, eat some junk in moderation from time to time, just don't make a habit of it!
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    At weekends I often eat the amount of calories, or a couple of hundred less, than would be my allowance if I set my goal to "maintain" However once a month or even 6 weeks I might have a big night out with food AND alcohol and that would prolly go over that by a couple of hundred. It's only happened to me twicew so far and I've kept on losing the weeks after, so can't have been too bad. The worst is when this happens and you get hangover craving for salty carbs and are feeling too rough to go to the gym! Then you really regret it, but hey like I say really doesnt happen that often.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Friday night is date night with my boyfriend so we go out to eat. I don't go crazy but if I eat 200 - 300 extra calories, I'm fine with it. Sometimes I even stay at my calorie goal. It's all about moderation and lifestyle.

Agreed-- I wouldn't call what you are describing a "splurge". It just sounds like "life".
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This is how my hubby and I operate! I let myself have a splurge "meal" one day a week, and one day a week where I don't feel obligated to do organized exercise. (i.e. I usually ride my horses, or clean house, or go for a walk with a friend!)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I splurge once a week. It is a habit I got into when I was on the Body For Life plan. It really helps my body know it is not starving and after a while, the splurging gets to be less bad as far as splurges go, at least for me. When your body gets used to healthy eating all week, it doesn't feel too well after eating a full tub of buttered movie popcorn :-).

Just a small correction--not a comment on your choices. A one-day change once a week has no effect one way or the other on whether the body perceives it is "starving". Any "metabolic slowdowns" that might occur by following a longer-term adherence to a low-calorie diet (and they don't always occur) would take probably 10-14 days of eating at roughly 90% of current maintenance calories to effect any change.

Again, not saying anything negative about your routine--just saying don't do it thinking you are preventing some type of "starvation response".
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i tend to splurge on weekends too...it's hard not to, but i don't gorge...i may be about 30 calories over my budget...
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mostly I think it is mental because I get to eat things I really like. I don't feel deprived.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't have a splurge DAY but I have a weekly splurge MEAL - and the rule is the next meal HAS to be immaculate - otherwise I end up completely off track :)