Turning 51 and REALLY serious this time. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    51....and we will do this!!! My goal is to get up to 5 days a week work-out...workin' on it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i'm not that serious. I joke around a lot. but yeah I seem to be sticking to this eating commitment. probably because it's just easy now.
  • Elaine51_2013
    Options
    51 here and yes I am serious this time also ,so add me and lets get er done lol!!!
  • awrightcooks
    Options
    Count me in! 56 and finally feeling like I can stick to it this time ........
  • awrightcooks
    Options
    Count me in! 56 and finally feeling like I can stick to it this time ........ Add me to your list if you like!
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 52, count me in as well, although I am little late starting the challenge. I joined MFP a while back, had good results for about 6 months, then had a knee injury requiring surgery. This has turned into a game changer as the surgery did not go was well as planned and now I cannot (nor will ever be able again) to jog/run/skip/jump. During my sedentary year I gained about 35lbs - I am really not sure because I have been too scared to step on the scale! But, I am back with MFP and ready to go! I, too, am serious this time! Good luck to all of you!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Off to walk the pups another busy day. Have a great one!
  • BancroftLady
    BancroftLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    add me if you want too, I am in the same boat.. and want to try and be sensible about this for long term success.. :)
  • naomishaw7
    naomishaw7 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm 53 now and for 20 years I have been dieting on and off. I want to lose 26 lb to be comfortable or 33lb to really be happy. I'm unable to exercise at the moment but am determined to change my eating habits. I'm with you
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    55 for another couple months. Not sure where the time went, but I know that I MUST get rid of this excess weight. No more putting it off!!

I've never joined a public forum like this and it's a little exciting to think that so many people can help provide support and encouragement for each other! It's not like friends who mean well but will say things like "you look fine." I've read enough posts to see that we will get that boot in the behind to keep us on track when we need it, a shoulder if we're feeling down and cheers of celebration when we meet a goal.

You can add me, too!
  • sms9497
    sms9497 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello - 55 and in the same boat - however, I dropped 18 lbs three years ago and now have them back plus a couple more.

Am approaching differently this time because I am looking for a plan I can live happliy with. That includes still being able to have some fun food occasionally. It also includes making less decisions on a daily basis. Lots of time breakfast and lunch look exactly the same every couple of days. Last thing - my calorie goal is higher - gotta be able to live with it.

Share your diary and ask your friends to do the same so you can share ideas. . .

I would be very happy to have more friends; send me a request and we can do this together. I am 21 days in at this point, so like you I am just getting started.

Anyone/everyone responding to this thread is welcome to friend me. We can all use more friends to encourage and for encouragement.
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Count me in as well!

This is a great time to make that start-- more time to focus on you and to really drill down on the diet. I echo most of what is posted here. However, the dietary selections are key-- the small changes make such a big difference!

i also advise to start exploring your vegetables and low carb fruits; decide which one are goign to be your staples, by season. You want to start thinking 2-3 choices, ahead of time. That way, you have a strategy when you get bored with what is in season [ex. salads] and can switch up [steamed rapani/young broccoli, broccoli salad [sliced up broccoli, balsamic vinegar, julianned crystalized ginger or sun dried tomatoes]..
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly!:flowerforyou:

That is where you have to be committed to the exercise part of the equation, and the slower progression toward your goal.

I go for the 1700-1900 calories range [I am mean and irritable when I am hungry:mad: , and enjoy my food!] and that equates to 90 -120 minutes of cardio and 60-90 minutes of being 'active' [housework, gardening, etc] so I can eat, have some healthy snacks and some low calorie adult beverage.:bigsmile:
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Turned 51 in April, friend me!
  • benovic001
    benovic001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would love to be added. I am 52. Been with MFP for 28 days and am very happy with my progress. Please feel free to add me.
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me too! A bit older that 51, but still serious
  • Paleovmw
    Paleovmw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just love reading everyones posts here! I think it is so cool that there are so many of us that are in our 50's and serious about getting our weight under control and exercising.

Today was my second physical therapy appointment as I have a torn meniscus (that is a knee injury). Doctor say only surgery will fix it but I have friends that have just waited it out for six months and can run again. idk, I guess I will see. I really want to run in about three weeks.

Hey everyone have a great "losing" day! Vickie :flowerforyou:
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and could really use the encouragement as well :( I am back here after a 6 month hiatus and I am serious this time. I am at the stage where I am just disappointed in myself and want to feel good about me ( can't say I ever have in my entire life) I weighed what I was supposed to on the day I was born and it's been an uphill battle ever since. Add me if you want and we can be support systems to each other. These days we could all use a helping hand!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    50 now and have been SERIOUS for the last 30 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition