Supplements, macros, exercise and goals

Options
1. What vitamins/supplements are you taking?
2. Do you take those supplements on rest days?
3. What are your macros set as?
4. If you do exercise, what do you do?
5. Do you change your macros on rest days?
4. What is your goal? Bulk? Lose weight? Lose fat? Maintain?

Just wondering if there are different macros suited for the kind of exercise one is doing and how it affects performance and results. Like for example if you run, maybe you need more carbs? Or weight lifting, you need more protein? Or if you don't exercise at all and just focusing on diet, probably use the default macros MFP sets you up with.

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    1. Magnesium, iron + vit c, vit D, whey protein and creatine
    2. Yes to everrything except the whey (I only take this when I need to supplement protein)
    3. 30 protein, 45 carbs, 25 fat
    4. Play Australian football and lift weights
    5. Not usually but on game day I tend to eat more carbs
    6. At the moment my goal is to eat in a way that maximises my sports performance while either maintaining or losing a bit of fat.

To answer your other question. Yes, your activity level and goals will affect your calorie and macro target. More protein might be neccessary if your are bulking or if you are cutting agressively and want to maintain muscle mass. The amount of carbs you need depends on your acticity level and other factors such as insulin resistance. Generally the higher your activity level the more carbs you need as they are your primary source of energy. Endurance sports in particular may require high carbs. Some people when cutting may get good results by significantly lowering carbs. Protein and fat also have a positive effect on saitity
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    1. multi, fish oil, magnesium, creatine (whey for protein macro)
    2. yes
    3. 2500 cals average. 200g protein. Carbs and fat, whatever fits. Normally about 250g C and 60g fat
    4. previously powerlifting (powerbuilding I guess). Injured a bit now but still plenty of strength training predominantly. For cardio, I do mma from time to time and go hiking with my weight vest on.
    5. nope
    6. cut

5'8", Male (hopefully obvios), 85kg, 31years old.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Just wondering if there are different macros suited for the kind of exercise one is doing and how it affects performance and results. Like for example if you run, maybe you need more carbs? Or weight lifting, you need more protein? Or if you don't exercise at all and just focusing on diet, probably use the default macros MFP sets you up with.

I'll answer pre-pregnancy.

1. Only took a woman's multi because we were trying to conceive and it is good to ensure you have enough folic acid even months before. And fish oil. I would use protein powder the odd time.
    2. I use protein whenever I was missing my protein goal, rest day or not.
    3. I go by %of lbm, etc but I think it worked out to roughly 40/30/30 (40 carbs).
    4. Strength train, run, bike, swim.
    5. No. My macros stay the same.
    6. Depends. I haver done an actual bulk but I've cut and maintained.

Yes, what you do may affect what your macro goals are. Runners do typically tend to have higher carbs, particularly distance runners, but even that isn't totally agree upon. There are some who believe the super high carb diet isn't ideal for runners. Some go more moderate, others even do lower carbs. I also consider protein and fat important as a runner as well.
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1.multi, fish oil / Musclepharm protein & iEvolve pre workout powder
    2. yes
    3. 25% carbs, 40% protein, 35% fats
    4. Strength training / lifting / some cardio if I go over on cals
    5. No
    6. Cut
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    1 trutien protein powder.
    2 not usually
    3 about 2100 a day 180 g protein. around 70 g fat the remaining in carbs about 170 g I think
    4 3 hours a week lifting. Run or walk 2 times a week
    5 no
    6 trying to build some muscle while maintaining thru summer then bulk

5' 9" male 166 ish pounds 41 years young.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Interesting!! Thank you for your responses! :flowerforyou: I shall experiment with my macros and see what will work for me!
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Generic Multivitamin, Creatine, Protein Powder
    Yes
    C/P/F 150/190/80 %'s 30/40/30
    Hybrid of Strength/Hypertrophy training 4 days a week, no cardio
    No
    Lose fat, maintain muscle mass/strength
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Surprised at how many people take a multi vit! Always thought of them as being unneccessary granted you have an a-ok diet. Maybe I should look into them more. :huh:
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    1. Multivit (the usual plus iron, calcium, iodine, magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, manganese, chromium and molybdenum); extra B-complex (for medical reasons, advised by doc), protein powder, fish oil softgel.
    2. Yes
    3. P 30%, F 30%, C 40%
    4. HIIT and strength training; sometimes yoga
    5. No
    6. Lose fat while maintaining muscle (for now)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

1. None
    2..NA
    3. 45/30/25
    4. I do Stronglifts 5x5 3x a week and HIIT/cardio (walking/biking/swim) on my rest days, take sunday off
    5. No
    6. My goals atm are to maintain (a recomp maybe if it happens)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Multi, fish, BCAA + Beta A. Syntha PWO
    multi + fish only
    2400 cals, 200 P rest variable depending on lift / no lift days.
    Lift 5 days a week
    Yes drop carbs increase fat - Pro remains the same
    Maintain
    If i run, i run fast in the AM but only when i cut - i hate running / cardio!
    Lifting / carbs variable amount for me - back / legs high carbs as usually they are monster sessions!
    Protein remains always constant and on the high side.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    1. What vitamins/supplements are you taking? - multi, vit d, creatine, pre-workout, fish oil
    2. Do you take those supplements on rest days? yes
    3. What are your macros set as? 3217 cals - 455c, 176p, 77f
    4. If you do exercise, what do you do? 5x week, Power/Hypertrophy split. lower power, upper power, push hyp, lower hyp, pull hyp
    5. Do you change your macros on rest days? currently no, but I'll tinker with it once I hit 185 and recomp/maintain
    4. What is your goal? Bulk? Lose weight? Lose fat? Maintain? lean bulk right now since Jan. recomp in the next few weeks until after summer then resume lean bulk
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1. Was taking Vitamin D, but doc said levels were a little high, so backed off for now. Creatine, beta alanine, citulline malate, caffeine
    2. Yes - caffeine (cofee!), creatine
    3. 200P(+/-10g) 400C(+/-25g) 75F(+/-5g)
    4. Focus on power/compound lifts, 1 day just for accessory/bodybuilding. Combination of HIIT and LISS as well.
    5. If I do, I stay within my +/- ranges.
    6. Body recomp, increase strength, stay ripped (slow go)

Focused on progressive overload, and slowly increasing metabolic capacity (500g+ of carbs in my future).