Cardio before or after strength training?

Options
Just wondering, cardio before or after strength training?

My goal is to lose a couple stone and tone up.

Whats best for fat burning?

Thanks x

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Ok, there are several different questions implied there.

Assuming that you're wanting to bias your weight loss towards fat reduction then you need to train in a way to retain lean muscle mass. So resistance training and CV training that actually offers a resistance effect; running, cycling, rowing.

As your objective is fairly general then you probably want to do resistance before CV, or do them on different days. As my objectives are around running performance I run, then do resistance training, but it's generally considered better not to do that if you don't have specific training goals in mind.

All that said, losing that couple of stone is more about how much energy you consume compared to how much you expend; calories in vs calories out.

fwiw I've lost a couple of stone, and reduced my bodyfat percentage by a third through predominantly running with minimal resistance training.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Or not doing any cardio at all. That works.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As your objective is fairly general then you probably want to do resistance before CV, or do them on different days. As my objectives are around running performance I run, then do resistance training, but it's generally considered better not to do that if you don't have specific training goals in mind.

Note that the reasons for doing resistance first are predominantly around the availability of energy in the short term, not about fat burning per se. The body burns up the most easily accessible fuel first, then starts to access fuel that's more difficult to convert. As resistance training is more subject to issues around form than generic machine based CV then it's more appropriate to do it when you're less fatigued.

The reason I run first is that running form is very important to effective training, so there is no value in training after resistance work.
  • BEASTMODEON786
    Options
    By All Strength Training is far better to burn more calories and build muscle.

may be 15 mins burn of running or rowing machine - burst intervals :) before you attack the barbell - super sets