Breastfeeding and calories

jlbechtel
jlbechtel Posts: 4
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am supposed to consume 1200 calories a day to lose so if I am breastfeeding and that burns 500 calories should I up the intake? I know you have to consume a certain amnt to lose so should I factor this in or just leave it where it is at?
Please HELP!!

Replies

• ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    im exclusively BFing and i consume 2000 cals a day, no less and so far ive lost 11 pounds...if you only consume 1200 or even add 500 making 1700, your starving yourself of essential nutrients.

If you consume 2000 cals a day, you will not lose weight fast by any means LOL slow and steady wins the race in this case, its healthier, but if you dont care about the long run and what it will do to your health, you can lower your intake and lose 2lbs a week lol

you can add me as a friend if you like :)
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    every one different, and not knowing your weight makes it hard. but I would not eat under the 1200 and would also eat the 500 of healhty calories.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Yes, you should. You and your baby need those calories!! Enjoy this special time. It goes all too quickly. Plenty of time to worry about weight and calories. Hugs.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    I read the min. number of calories you should consume while bf is 1800 and that you sholdn.t lose more than a pound a week. I would start there and then if you lose too fast up your calories. I found another site that actually would tell you bases on size etc the amount of calories for gradual weight loss while bf
  • What do you eat!? I have a hard time eating 1500 calories much less 2000!! @ Ashley
  • Hi
    I BFed both of my kids and I gained 60lbs with each (not eating for 2 , believe it or not) if you are hungry eat..if you are not don't . I lost all my weight for each one of my kids in 3 months...just listening to my body and what it needs and wants. My suggestion would be that when you eat make sure you are eating clean ...lots of veggies/fruit, lean protein and clean carbs. Oh and make sure when you sit down to nurse...you have a glass of water with you...that's thristy work :)
    Hope this helps :)
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Personally I'd eat an extra 500 cals. When my daughter was a newborn, I'd just drink 1 calorie dense smoothie a day (mixed berries, banana, 1 cup of oldfashioned oatmeal to increase milk production, 1 1/2 cup container of yogurt, 1/2 cup of oj.

Blend the oatmeal by itself to a powder consistency 1st then add the rest-DELISH and gets those necessary calories in and those fruits then just eat like normal the rest of the day.
This discussion has been closed.