Weight before or after Cardio!?

Options
Hi guys,

I've been working out for almost a year now and seeing some decent gains in lean muscle as I'm an ectomorph. However, the new football (soccer) season has started for me and now I have training on Fridays. I lift weights 3-4 times a week and Friday is a day I normally do. I don't want to stop doing my weight lifting sessions because of training and also don't want to hinder my muscle mass growth!
Would you say it's better to weights first then get some good protein and carbs in to me (Chicken with Rice) then head of to training? Or is it better to Just wait until after training is finished before I do my weight session? Been an ectomorph my goal is to build on current muscle mass as I don't need to loose any fat! This may be a silly question but I'm just wondering which one would be better to do before one another to still be able to build muscle. Thanks for your help! :)

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If your primary goal is to build muscle mass, I'd lift first. If you do your cardio training first, your lifting session will be half-assed, which you don't want. I spoke with a trainer at a gym once when I was doing cardio first and he suggested I switch it. It helped a lot. Now I do cardio and lifting on separate days, but if I had to do one right after the other, I'd lift first.
  • Cammy_Atleta8
    Options
    If your primary goal is to build muscle mass, I'd lift first. If you do your cardio training first, your lifting session will be half-assed, which you don't want. I spoke with a trainer at a gym once when I was doing cardio first and he suggested I switch it. It helped a lot. Now I do cardio and lifting on separate days, but if I had to do one right after the other, I'd lift first.

Brilliant, thanks for your response :smile: I'll do the lifting first then!
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What Ireed said, doing cardio first depletes a lot of carbohydrates and glycogen and makes your lifting not nearly as intense as doing it before. Even while keeping a goal of losing weight i lift heavy and then do cardio but that is more just personal preference for me, since i hate feeling like my workouts are half *kitten*.