diebetic cupcakes???

Options
My daughter's b-day is coming up and I wanted to give cupcakes to the soccer team "after" the game that weekend or maybe after practice. The only problem is that one of the girls is diabetic. I don't want to leave her out or give her anything different from the rest of the girls, I want her to be treated equally. I have been to some of the grocery stores asking if they have a diabetic option for cupcakes and they have said no. I still need to keep checking. But I was wondering if anybody here knows of any great recipes (I really don't want to cook them) or other good options for a treat???

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If she is type I there really aren't many options as they count carbs and not just sugar. About the only things that are "free" foods are proteins and some veggies. You didn't say how old she is but again if she is type I and depending on her mother she can have what everyone else is having, she will just have to have insulin (a shot unless she has a pump). I don't know anything about type II even though my dad has it but he is just more careful about his diet since he can't "just" have an injection for what he eats. Good luck!
  • toberlili
    Options
    Ingredients:
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
    1/2 cup shortening, softened
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp granulated sugar replacement
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients and beat vigorously until well blended. Spread
    mixture into greased 8-inch (20-cm) square pan. Bake at 350~ F (175~ C) for
    30 to 35 minutes. Cut into 2-in. (5-cm) squares.

MICROWAVE: Cook on medium for 8 to 10 minutes or until puffed and dry on
    top. Cut into 2-in. (5-cm) squares.

YIELD: 16 brownies EXCHANGE: 1 brownie = 1-1/2 bread, 1-1/2 fat CALORIES: 1
    brownie = 136 Source: The Diabetic Chocolate Cookbook Posted by: Fred
    Peters

Serves: 16

this is out of a diabetic recipe book, my uncle sent this to me, i knoe its not cupcakes but i hope it help :smile:
  • toberlili
    Options
    p.s., i know you dont want to cook, ill look around
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
    1/2 cup shortening, softened
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp granulated sugar replacement
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients and beat vigorously until well blended. Spread
    mixture into greased 8-inch (20-cm) square pan. Bake at 350~ F (175~ C) for
    30 to 35 minutes. Cut into 2-in. (5-cm) squares.

MICROWAVE: Cook on medium for 8 to 10 minutes or until puffed and dry on
    top. Cut into 2-in. (5-cm) squares.

YIELD: 16 brownies EXCHANGE: 1 brownie = 1-1/2 bread, 1-1/2 fat CALORIES: 1
    brownie = 136 Source: The Diabetic Chocolate Cookbook Posted by: Fred
    Peters

Serves: 16

this is out of a diabetic recipe book, my uncle sent this to me, i knoe its not cupcakes but i hope it help :smile:
    Just poue themn into cupcake tins....
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thanks. I had not thought of brownies but I think that's a good option, no need for icing!!!

I am not sure what type she is but her mom did say that she can eat a treat if she gets a shot, I just would hate to have her have a shot when I could first try to find a way to give a treat that would avoid the need for a shot.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Look up a sugar free recipe online, or use a sugar substitute like stevia or truvia. I'm diabetic, so feel free to ask any other questions :)

If she is taking shots (insulin) then she is most likely T1.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Pilsbury has reduced sugar cake mix. Just add a can of diet cola to chocolate cake mix and make cupcakes that way and top with sugar free cool whip
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    My daughter is also a type 1 diabetic, best thing is ask her mom. Most likely she'll be able to have one especially if she just finished with any physical activity, as you mentioned. Physical activity actually lowers their blood sugars so she may actually need to have a little something to raise it back up a little bit. You can buy sugar free cupcakes at most grocery stores. This will still raise her blood sugar because of the carbs but because it lacks sugar it isn't such a spike! Let her mom know that you will have sugar free cupcakes and if it is ok that she has one after practice/game. If your serving juice she'll need a sugar free substitute for that as well. Or just water The main thing mom will need to decide is if her daughter will need any insulin before she eats anything. How old is the little girl? My daughter was diagnosed at age 12 and has managed her diabetes very well, she was even on an insulin pump for a while which the child herself may have AND know very well how to use. Like I said best thing is to just communicate with her parents. I would appreciate the fact that someone(you), is concerned that my daughter be included, main thing is that the child knows what to do so just let mom handle the instructions.:wink: