Recent College Grad Looking to Get Healthy

Options
So I just graduated college and I’m happy to be back in my hometown with all my friends again. I work a full time desk job during the week and have the weekends off. This is my problem: I eat exceptionally well, workout every night, and go to bed early every Monday-Thursday. And then Friday night hits and my whole plan is out the window. My main group of friends is five super fit guys who eat and drink whatever they want and still keep their six packs, my best friend who’s in a similar weight loss mindset as me (also my workout partner), another girl friend, and a few of the guys’ girlfriends who hang out with the group every once in a while. Our usual weekend routine consists of the bars Friday night, drinking at the beach Saturday followed by bbq or takeout Saturday night before hitting the bars or a house party, then a greasy hangover breakfast before drinking again at the beach on Sunday.

I always have a great time but as you can imagine it undoes all the hard work I've put in throughout the week, not to mention how unhealthy all that alcohol and junk food is. I guess what I’m asking for is just advice and support as to how I can continue to hang out with these friends, go to the beach, bars, cookouts, and parties, without undoing all the progress I've made throughout the week. I’m currently 155lbs at 5’6 trying to get down to 135. My main goal is to lose weight while gaining muscle and generally lead a healthy lifestyle. Now how do I do that while still maintaining my fun summer lifestyle with all my best friends? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    well, I run into the same delima, I only drink on Saturday, and eat kinda ****ty on sunday, but go hard all week on defict and exercise... when monday rolls around I feel my body is still in a funk from the abuse.... Im in for suggestions as well.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is super, super easy to undo a whole week's worth of hard work by eating out for most meals on the weekends. I would recommend that you try to even out your diet so that you don't have to deprive yourself all week and overdo it on the weekends. Eat the same stuff you like, just in smaller portions, and try to plan out your day for those splurges (e.g., eat a smaller lunch if you know you will be going out to eat and drinking a lot for dinner that night).

arenee48, it's great that you have a workout buddy with you on these occasions. Can you work with her to help one another make good choices during the weekend? Maybe you could split a particularly indulgent meal or look up healthy options using online menus before you go out (this last one has saved me on numerous social occasions).

Also, try to find little opportunities for exercise over the weekend. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk instead of driving.