Food scale at restaurant?

Options
2»

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you order a grilled meat, the weight of the uncooked meat is usually listed. That would give you a better idea of what you are eating. For example, I will order the 6oz chicken breast with tomatilllo sauce and tell them to go light on the cheese (or even omit). Or, an 8oz steak with ranchero sauce. I'll eat half, take home the other half. I estimate the rice and beans to also be about 2 servings, so box up half, take half and you've got two dinners for the price of one:) Some restaurants will offer grilled veggies instead of the rice and beans, that's also a good option. I ask for extra pico or diced tomatoes to make sure I get a serving of vegetable.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    On a side note...What's with the bf wanting to eat out 10+ times?! Doesn't he have any other interests? You need to change up your dates or special occasions out - what a sad and limited life he leads, lol.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I think his insisting you go to a Mexican restaurant (seriously?) that doesn't have their calories listed is well balanced with you bringing your food scale there to weigh your food.

I think your choices are:
    1) Go to a different restaurant (Mexican or otherwise) that lists calorie counts.
    2) Get it to go and weigh the stuff at home
    3) Bring your scale to the restaurant.

Show him that list and let him pick.
    I agree in this in that you should do what YOU want

Otherwise, just log as you can and enjoy it.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Order your food. Put half of it in Tupperware. Enjoy your dinner. Weigh the other half when you get home and enjoy another meal at home.
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just take your "usual" as take-out once and weigh it at home for reference? That's what I do with restaurant food (I eat out 90% of the time)

while I think this is the best answer - I would bring my scale. and I would gladly tell them why I brought the scale - because the nutritional values were not made available. but I am a little nuts lol
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    no way. you have to live.

I like you. good answer.

I third this. It's only one day a week.
    What about when family wants to go out? Are you going to make them only go to chain restaurants with calorie content (which even that is an estimate... not 100% right.. it's not like they are weighing out the oils/dressings/etc.)?

Look through the MFP Database, pick one of the higher calorie estimates for the food you are going to order.
    Enjoy your meal. Pace yourself with food and water. Put your fork down between bites.
    If they have chips and salsa and you want, preplace the chips on your plate so you don't eat more.

(Granted when I go to My fave Mexican place, I eat a whole basket myself.. maybe morevlol)
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I agree.
    I know you are eager to get to your goal. But life is about balance. And carrying a scale and weighing food in public doesn't seem like part of a well balanced, happy, long-term-sustainable way of living.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The thing is being only 10 or so days in I'm not sure I fully grasp what an accurate portion size is yet. Call it a slippery slope fallacy but I do worry about going over once a week especially in the beginning. I will probably just go with what I assume to be the healthiest on the menu (chicken fajitas), avoid the unlimited chips and salsa, and get an order to go sometime for weighing at home (love that suggestion).

How do you choose something comparable when the dishes listed in the database vary by 500 calories or more? Choose the highest?

I totally see what you are saying about the slippery slope. As someone who tends to rationalize or justify decisions I find that sticking to a plan works best for me. Some would call it restricting myself, but I know that structure and setting clear guidlines and parameters for myself works best for me. I dont' deny myself the things I love, I just pre plan so I know when I can have it. I like the take out idea. Maybe this week instead of eating in the restaurant you get it to go and if the weather is nice in your area you eat at a local park. That way you can use your scale and he isn't embarrassed by you doing it in the restaurant. Plus it changes up your "night out" Good Luck!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I agree.
    I know you are eager to get to your goal. But life is about balance. And carrying a scale and weighing food in public doesn't seem like part of a well balanced, happy, long-term-sustainable way of living.

I agree it isn't sustainable to do it all the time, but I don't think she wants to do it permanently, she is only 10 days in and not sure of her ability to guestimate portion sizes yet. In the beginning I weighed everything because what I thought was a cup was clearly more like 2. Now I can guestimate it, and when I put on my scale I'm pretty dang close, usually under.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Order your food. Put half of it in Tupperware. Enjoy your dinner. Weigh the other half when you get home and enjoy another meal at home.

^ This exactly. I was just going to post the same thing.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Go to the restaurant , enjoy a modestly chosen meal, enjoy your boyfriend's company, continue that enjoyment when you get home :-p that should use up any extra calories you missed logging !
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just take your "usual" as take-out once and weigh it at home for reference? That's what I do with restaurant food (I eat out 90% of the time)

I have done this - DH feels the same way about me and my love affair with my scale. It's the best compromise I could come up with.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, never would take a food scale to a restaurant.
  • Kegha
    Kegha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    you will have to face many social events in the months and years to come. You need to learn control. Choose what appears to be the lowest calories, if it is a salad ask for the dressing on the side, mostly eat vegetable, avoid fried food and leave some on your plate.