What is this? Confidence?

SmaugHugs
SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
When I started my weight loss journey I was weighing in at 5'7" and 285 pounds. I grew up as overweight and had lousy self esteem to go with it. I was so ashamed of my body that no matter the weather, social situation or day, I covered myself up. I didn't care if I was gettign heat stroke by wearing a black hoodie at 30 degrees outside, no one should see my fat arms.

Well, I am now at the 220 area and it was hot out this morning, much too uncomfortable for a sweater or jacket and it is only getting hotter through the day, so I said forget it, tossed my black hoodie back in the closet and went out in jeans and a tank top! I was not fidgetting, I was not covering my arms, I wasn't embarassed... I just was. I was just some other person on the bus. It is a small success, but a big one for me in the right direction.

My black hoodies have changed sizes with me through out the years, but I look forward to letting them collect dust for the coming months as I work harder on myself. :)

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    That is an excellent NSV!!! I also have issues with my arms. I always felt they were too fat and now, after losing weight, I have some loose skin. I've been doing some strength training to tighten up that skin and tone up my arms, which has helped a lot. I finally overcame my issues enough to spend my week of vacation mostly sleeveless and/or in bathing suits. I rocked several sundresses to dinner that week and was not uncomfortable. I just told myself that even though I still have work to do, I'm going to be comfortable and appreciate how far I've come. Congratulations to you on your success so far and keep building that confidence up!! Those hoodies are a thing of the past for you...well, until Fall when you need them for warmth...lol!!! Keep rockin'!!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Fantastic, well done!
  • cloverfield4
    cloverfield4 Posts: 52 Member
    Awesome! This is a huge step. I'm always covering up with cardigans because I'm ashamed of my big arms. Looking forward to showing them off someday. Congrats to you on your success and your new-found confidence!!
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Im a black hoodie wearer too....I can't stand having my arms uncovered anymore :/ Maybe i will be able to again someday. i do love my hoodies though.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    That is fantastic! I've just done a similar thing, in finally buying sundresses and allowing my upper arms to be seen in public. It is very freeing,
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    I still have thicker arms right now, and some bat wings going on, but they have approved since I started working out and tracking what I eat... and they are over due on sunlight hehe. It is also the small steps to help me be ready for my first bikini next summer!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Congrats!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    That is an awesome NSV!! I'm the same way with covering my arms, but mostly for me its my belly, and lately my shirts have been a little more form fitting instead of only baggy... what a weird and awesome feeling right?!?! Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!