What's the most you have burned?

jsheph1
jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I played golf this Sunday. 18 holes walking, carrying my bag. It took 3 hours 45 mins. I was shocked to find out I burned 1285 calories. Thats like a Big Mac and large fries, not that I would indulge in that nastiness. I didn't trust the calculator, so even though I did eat a lot of calories that day, I left 500 in the bank. I weighed less in the morning so maybe it was right. Does that figure sound right to you guys? What's the most you ever burned with one activity? I am a 167 pound male.

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    I have burned 800 on the treadmill or an hour of interval training but it was pretty intense and the sweat was really flying. Don't know if that is high or not. It is nearly four hours. Could be close to true.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    i've burned in excess of 1500 cals running - either a half marathon or a trail run of approx 10 miles before - Its quite high intensity so it does burn alot of calories.

I've never played golf but I would not class golf as a vigorous exercise so the calories you've burned seem ok to me.

To get an accurate calorie burn is to wear a heart rate monitor and see what that says.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    1100 ish
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    I have yet to break through the 1,000 calorie barrier! The most I have burned is 941 calories from a 45 minute spinning class where I cycled for 30 minutes each way to get to and from the class.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I just ran a half marathon in 2:20 and burned approximately 1400 calories.

The bigger you are, the more you're going to burn though. I'm 127 pounds.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    2887 calories walking for 8 hours.
  • AmeliaDouglas
    AmeliaDouglas Posts: 54 Member
    I just logged 1245 cals or so doing about 3.5 hours of moving furniture when I helped a friend move on Saturday. It was hard work, I sweated a lot and my muscles hurt like hell. I did read on another post someone saying that you should log the burned calories minus the calories you would have burned during that same time just sitting around so that you are only adding in the 'extra' calories from the intense activity.
  • binary_jester
    I just logged 1245 cals or so doing about 3.5 hours of moving furniture when I helped a friend move on Saturday. It was hard work, I sweated a lot and my muscles hurt like hell. I did read on another post someone saying that you should log the burned calories minus the calories you would have burned during that same time just sitting around so that you are only adding in the 'extra' calories from the intense activity.
    I am an asian and I can't do that kind of math. LOL
  • jenreth
    jenreth Posts: 14 Member
    I usually burn 500 a workout and sometimes do 3 a day (before work, cycling to and from work, then after work) and that can be 1500 a day. I rarely do more than an hour at once though, so only have done about 3 hours about three or four times, and each time I burnt over 1500 calories (half marathon, triathlon training, epic training session and training for half marathon and that's it)

The best way to get fit is to find something that works you a lot but doesn't feel like work! if you are incredulous at how much that burnt, i'd say keep it up! it's hard to stick at something if you're not enjoying it and counting the time until it's over
  • 1600. 8 mile run in 1 hour.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Binary - it's easy to work out. Work out your bmr, which is what you burn doing nothing. Divide that amount by 24 to see what you burn an hour, and by a further 60 to see what you burn a minute. My bmr is 1460 calories a day so I burn about a calorie a minute. I therefore subtract 30 calories from whatever value my heart rate monitor gives me for 30 minutes exercise.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Mispost
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Early this month I burned 2570 on a 3 hour hike carrying a backpack weighing over 10lbs.
  • I burned around 4,000 on a 62 mile 5+ hour bike ride once. I was 312 lbs at that time. I just looked up the info on mapmyride.com where I track all my bike rides.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,546 Member
    I played golf this Sunday. 18 holes walking, carrying my bag. It took 3 hours 45 mins. I was shocked to find out I burned 1285 calories. Thats like a Big Mac and large fries, not that I would indulge in that nastiness. I didn't trust the calculator, so even though I did eat a lot of calories that day, I left 500 in the bank. I weighed less in the morning so maybe it was right. Does that figure sound right to you guys? What's the most you ever burned with one activity? I am a 167 pound male.

I'm a golfer and I was curious to see how many calories I burned in a typical 18 hole round. The league I am in requires a cart and I live in Florida (very flat) so I didn't think it would be very much. Well, two weeks ago, I wore my heart rate monitor (with chest strap) the entire time. Including the 45 minutes of warming up and stretching I was out there for 4 1/2 hours and it said I burned 872 calories! I'm a 145 lb. woman and didn't carry my bag (of course, my handicap is probably higher than yours so I swung the club way more times!) but I was stunned. I never do the math thing about backing out my existence calories but I also don't eat more than half my exercise calories anyway. So, your 1285 could be right especially if the course is hilly. The most I have burned working out was around 1200 for back to back 45 minutes spin classes and I could wring my clothes out afterwards.
  • binary_jester
    Binary - it's easy to work out. Work out your bmr, which is what you burn doing nothing. Divide that amount by 24 to see what you burn an hour, and by a further 60 to see what you burn a minute. My bmr is 1460 calories a day so I burn about a calorie a minute. I therefore subtract 30 calories from whatever value my heart rate monitor gives me for 30 minutes exercise.
    ...carry the 1, figure in the square root of pi...Does the hypotenuse come into play? :)

Actually that makes sense. Since I have gone to the trouble of buying a HRM, I might as well get the "truest" number I can. Thanks Ellem86. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.