weight training question

Options
I weight train every otherday and do cardio the off days. Now one day i went to weight train and I was having a hard time lifting what I normally have no problem lifting ever, I barely made it out alive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be ?

Replies

• piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    Is it just an occasional day here and there? I don't have an informed answer as to what it can be, but once in awhile I have a day like that. Something that is never an issue I either can't do or I get a ridiculously high heart rate for whatever it is I'm doing. It's happened when I've worked with my trainer too it's a mystery to her too.
  • mistymonroe
    Options
    The first time I lost weight yes I gained it back ;-(, I lost my muscle mass, not just fat. That might be why. It seems like you are doing it properly though with exercise and diet while I was just doing diet. So I don't know if that's the answer, but that's what happened to me.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think that it is possible your body just needs more rest that week. When i have one of those days I take that day of from vigorous exercise. I might still go for a walk. or swim, or sit in the sauna, but I won't bench my max that next day. WHen I do this, I am very much rewarded for it my next weight session, and can usually lift everything with ease again.

I only weight train 2x a week though, as I am trying to trim up, where as you are probably trying to bulk up.

Good Luck!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    It might just be overtraining. about every 4th week or so you should try backing off the weight , then three weeks of pushing again. I had a similar concern when I started lifting again during my off race seasons so I asked a friend who is a competitive weight lifter, and a personal trainer, and my doc and that is what I was told. I found that it made a big difference, and I saw results :)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    yah dude it happens to me alot it could be something like you did skull crushers before bench and wear out your triceps ive had those days its just your not in the zone or muscle exhaustion i find if you switch between dumbells and and barbells occasionally it will help like yesterday instead of doing barbell bench i switched to dumbells and it felt more exhausting and i found out which arm was weaker like i had to cut back to 55 pound dumbells idk if this helped?
  • Kevster75
    Kevster75 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hey,

If you have low blood sugar or are physically exhausted - ie no rest days per week (too much training).. Then your performance drops right off the scale.
    Were you hungry at the time?

You should also try to get as much sleep as your body needs... and go to bed early, don't lie in.

Just think about having everything in life in balance and go steady on the training...
    Good Luck mate :)

Kev
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    Thanks for the replies , Tomarrow is weight training so will see where I'm at. I normally run first thing but I switched to something else. I ale worked 2 reps on my Triceps before bench pressing ( which is where I had the most problem) so will bench first. Maybe will help.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    do a short warm-up, then weights, then your main cardio work, trust me
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    how was your nutrition on that day? Did you overtrain?
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    I was actually well rested, didn't work out sat or sun, Mon come was no warning felt food but than things just was bad from the start.