A Better Backside

Options
I'm sorry if this has already been asked and it may sound stupid, but is there a way to essentially "bulk" up your butt? I feel like mine is too flat and flabby (I also have love handles that I would love to get rid of). I have heard that squats are good for building up the gluteus maximus, but I'm not sure what else to do. I walk a lot and would like to increase the other physical activities I do - any suggestions, in regards to achieving a better butt? Any particular foods that would help too? Also, I really like the Reebok Easytone/Runtone shoes - do you think these actually work or are just a bunch of hype? Thanks! :)

Replies

• shyfranklinstein
    Options
    Those shoes are no use IMO. Big ol tight round behinds come from a good diet, weights, and some cardio.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-fitness-jewell-some-booty-building-squat-alternatives.html
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well your bum is a giant muscle so work it! :) Lunges (walking or split with weights or whatever you please), squats (tons of variations, weighted can achieve more in less time), eat enough protein to feed the muscles you work out so that all that hard work goes to reknitting your muscle fibers! I feel like those shoes are hype: once our body gets used to something, without an increase of weight or intensity you will not continue to get results. But that's just me :). Also, my bum looks fantastic when I've been horseback riding a lot (don't know if that's an option/interest for you but there you go!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Since I've been incoporating hip thrust/bridges in my routine I see a difference in my butt. I always did deadlifts & squats but I think hip thursts are the best.

I suggest you google Bret Contreras, he's the glute guy ;) And check out his book Strong Curves, it's a great program to build a better backside.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this has already been asked and it may sound stupid, but is there a way to essentially "bulk" up your butt? I feel like mine is too flat and flabby (I also have love handles that I would love to get rid of). I have heard that squats are good for building up the gluteus maximus, but I'm not sure what else to do. I walk a lot and would like to increase the other physical activities I do - any suggestions, in regards to achieving a better butt? Any particular foods that would help too? Also, I really like the Reebok Easytone/Runtone shoes - do you think these actually work or are just a bunch of hype? Thanks! :)

The shoes are nothing but a sales gimmick and there were class action lawsuits against them over the fact that they are BS. That being said...

Lift weights. Big, heavy ones that you can only manage a single digit number of reps for. Eat plenty of food.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    People are going to give you all different sorts of weight/body weight exercises you can do, which is cool, but I want to throw out there that switching up your walks to hiking or setting the treadmill on a steep incline also helps. Running stairs or using stair machine is something easy you can do, too. You still have to do some concentrated movements to really work that booty but small adjustments to your cardio can make an added difference, too.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Since I've been incoporating hip thrust/bridges in my routine I see a difference in my butt. I always did deadlifts & squats but I think hip thursts are the best.

I suggest you google Bret Contreras, he's the glute guy ;) And check out his book Strong Curves, it's a great program to build a better backside.

Ding, ding, ding. Eat at a slight surplus and do SC. I've been doing it for the last 10 weeks. My glutes are thanking me.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Yes to this. Glute bridges and weighted hip thrusts have made a difference for me in a very short time.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Somewhat quoting my brother (cleaned up for language),
    Deep squats are king in my opinion! You need to add resistance for the muscle to grow. So even if you start with the bar, do 5x10. Next session, add nickels to each side. 5x10. Then add dimes- 5x10. When you get to a point where you're ready to start increasing your intensity, lower reps and add sets to get same volume, but you'll be able to increase weight because of the lower reps. It's a total you want. If you do 5x10 with 50 pounds, you've lifted a total of 2,500 pounds. But if you lift 100 pounds for 5x5, that is still 2,500 pounds, only you've increased the intensity because of more weight. Squats, conventional deadlifts, weighted lunges, those are my top exercises that'll bulk up your buns. Forget about 5-10 different exercises to hit the muscle from every single angle. Proper form, added resistance, and consistency is your best friend!
  • Spitgray
    Spitgray Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This works for my lil sis...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

I will agree that hip thrusts and bridges work the glutes more directly. You still have to have progressive overload to increase the muscle though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Squats(*kitten* to grass), deadlifts, hip thrusts, and lunges

and I second the running of stairs and/or hills
  • JEDDIE89
    JEDDIE89 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm pretty new to being healthy, coming from an obese family who didn't really value exercise or healthy eating. I'm trying to learn all I can about healthy living, so that I can pass my knowledge on to my son. I'm lucky that he is extremely active and would much rather exercise than just sit around (like I would). I'm just getting started, but would love to eventually see a change in my body, so thank you for all the tips! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this has already been asked and it may sound stupid, but is there a way to essentially "bulk" up your butt? I feel like mine is too flat and flabby (I also have love handles that I would love to get rid of). I have heard that squats are good for building up the gluteus maximus, but I'm not sure what else to do.

I'm personally on a quest to build a butt that makes a gay man soil his pants when he sees it.

Only thing I've found to really do that, aside from also losing weight.

Weight barbell squats, both back and front. It's going to be a lot of hard work. Then add in some barbell deadlifts to bulk out the ham meat too.

ETA - all that paired with rock climbing.