SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I try to give my spouse regular encouragement during her workouts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcOXtPOQRs

ewwww PF
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My fiance never used to exercise together, but recently started. We go to the gym together, but we split up for most of it because our fitness goals are really different. Recently, he has started to join me for my runs outdoors which has actually been really awesome. He's supporting me on my distance goals and he doesn't pressure me to go faster than my slow pace. Fitness can take up a good chunk of time, so it's nice to be able to spend that time together when we both have long days working and commuting.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My spouse is a bugger. He is not heavy, well not super thin either, but can eat anything he wants. I keep trying to talk to him about dieting and all he can tell me is that i can have it just not all of it, which I don't do anyway. He brings up that I used to eat Jelly beans while i work like that was my entire diet for the day. The bags were tiny, like maybe had 50 jelly beans in them and we would buy 2 a week. I don't consider that tons of jelly beans. I give up with him.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    My wife won't exercise with me, she says I'm judgmental. That's because her workout routine is weak and sucks! :smile:
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My wife won't exercise with me, she says I'm judgmental. That's because her workout routine is weak and sucks! :smile:

See, I could have just written that from your wife's perspective instead of the novel I just typed up.... lol
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do. It's fun. But we also go to the gym separately on our own as well. But my favorite person to exercise with is my spouse.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are great running/cycling buddies. Other work-outs, not so much.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

See, I could have just written that from your wife's perspective instead of the novel I just typed up.... lol

I was actually kidding. We don't workout together simply because one of us has to stay home and watch the kids. I was also joking around about being judgmental. (Then I intentionally wrote a judging statement about her workouts to "accidentally" prove her point.)
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I used to go to the Y we did great. He was a grate motivator just by being there with me. I say its a great idea.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It can be ok, but it can be dangerous to develop a mentality that you only go if your spouse goes. People get sick, have late days at work or lose interest in working out all the time. With that in mind I go to the gym with her if she wants to go, but if she doesn't I still go without here.

Also, I don't mind doing cardio with her but generally when I do heavy lifting I do this on my own. I see couples that share machines all the time but I personally want to speed through my workout as fast as possible and keep my heart rate up. Swaping couples inbetween sets slows me down too much.

Conclusion, do it if you want but still go without the spouse if they don't want to go.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't have the same schedule or fitness goals, so working out together doesn't work for us at this time.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Having a spouse as an exercise buddy: good idea or bad idea? Thoughts?

Tried a couple times.....well more than a couple.

Not a good idea in my view.
  • lizfreakinm
    lizfreakinm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go to the gym together, but do our separate thing when we get there. We ran together once and he kicked my butt. Made me question if my 8 minute mile pace was as great as I thought it was, haha.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My OH is my absolute rock, we are on this journey together and we started running together.
    I wouldn't have got here without her.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    He has no interest in ever stepping a toe into the Y with me. So during the week I do my classes at the Y, he walks when his schedule allows (he works on a call by call basis). On the weekends, now that it's finally nice, we try to get out for a walk/hike (on the paved and unpaved trails) at a local park both Saturday and Sunday. If we had the room at home, we would *probably* do fitness games together.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I try to give my spouse regular encouragement during her workouts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcOXtPOQRs

ewwww PF

Can still appreciate the humor of that can we not?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Depends. My wife prefers group classes, whereas I personally like to train on weights in the weight room. She'll train with me occasionally (usually kickboxing), but she prefers to do her own lifting program (which I designed for her) rather than try to do what I'm doing.
    But we usually hit the gym together at the same time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea. We don't, but it's a good idea.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My man and I take walks together all the time, but we're at different fitness levels so it's hard to do other things together.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It depends on the relationship and your and your spouse's personalities.

I tried to exercise with my SO and he seemed to need to compete with me - like he needed travel further/faster when we used ellipticals. It bugged me, especially considering he's almost 6' and I'm 5'3", and he's a guy and I'm a girl, so him being faster than me is biologically normal based on our sexes and our sizes.

He also didn't keep up with it like I do. I invite him sometimes when our schedules mesh, but he never comes anymore. (I don't mind)