Machines v Free Weights

Options
sistrsprkl
sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
I've never done much strength training but I'd like to start. I just joined a gym and had an orientation with the weight machines. You all seem to strongly favor free weights but the machines seem a lot more convenient. Will they be ok for me at least in the beginning? Or are machines to be totally avoided? I am concerned about the limited range of motion...

Replies

• arielmotzy
    arielmotzy Posts: 3
    Options
    I would not say you should stay dedicated to one or the other. Both benefit you and it will always depend on what is it you are trying to work on.

I would consider myself right outside of novice here. I enjoy free weights, but I would never pass up the opportunity to use a machine when it becomes available. I use weights to tone my arms (and I use the weights on a balance ball so I can raise my stamina and sense of equilibrium. It is also a really easy way to work on your core).

Many machines do essentially the same things for you (and most of the time they come with directions), but that doesn't mean you can't get creative with them. The way I've learned is to watch more experienced people on these machines and on occasion, do not feel embarrassed to ask them: What areas are you working on with that motion? Any other techniques you have with this machine? I've never been scoffed at. Many people want to help and you are asking them questions they probably know a lot of answer to - the key is finding what works <for you> To say machines are to be totally avoided would be an extreme - How is that going to help you? There are so many good machines and they are obviously working for so many other people! With the machines you get adjust the weight of what you are doing just the same! Shoulder presses, arm pulls, chest presses, abdominal twist, hip abduction, hamstring,.... these are all good for you and if you have them, take advantage of them.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    both are good.

i like the compound lifts you do with free weights.
    then I do more isolation with machines.
  • mghollis
    mghollis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but my husband said something the other day that made sense. Free weights will also help you with balance, something you can't get with machines. I hope more people answer your question, cause I need the answer too. :wink:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I say you go to the free weights...

Free weights do more for you during your workout. You have to keep your form and you are not forced into perhaps the wrong position ie smith machine for squats. You work more muslces that you may not even be aware of because you are keeping your form.

There are some machines that should be totally avoided such as the smith machine.

I won't diss all machines as some do have a good purpose but all n all I won't go near them.

Being concerned about the limited range is a good thing.

I like my free weights I do a compound progressive load lifting program and feel it is a better overall workout. 3x a week and I see major differences in my body...

the only machine I might use would be the assisted pull up machine to work on those but even now I don't I use a bar and do reverse chinups...
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    what they all said....I find that free weights help me create even strength. With a machine I can sometimes notice myself cheating the weight with one side or the other.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Weight training to do during fat loss

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Machines favored for the circuit style training and the benefits from it.
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think there are probably more benefits to free weights, mainly the ability to do compound lifting and use stabilizing muscles. That said, I use mostly machines as of now. My knees are crap and squatting with only 15 pounds (kettlebell) did a number on them. I'm still trying to recover and that was a few weeks ago. So, other than some upper body work I do with dumbbells, I am all on machines. It takes a long time to get through my workout w/no compound exercises.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. That's all very helpful advice. I'll start with machines then add free weights as I get more comfortable and watch others (while trying not to be creeping :)