How do you stay positive?

Options
sxdill09
sxdill09 Posts: 5 Member
On a bad day how do you stay positive? Really needing some encouragement after everything I have been handed today Thanks

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Just remember that it's long term. There are going to be good days and there are going to be bad days. If you give up every time you have a bad day, you might never get to your goal, so you have to keep going! Even if today sucks, it will be worth it in the long run.
  • Lizzie9425
    Lizzie9425 Posts: 1
    Options
    I tell myself that I'm doing the best I can. Sometimes life just gets in the way of our good intentions! I find forgiving myself for mistakes is the best way to stop myself getting discouraged and giving up.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree. The investment you're making in yourself is actually bigger than the feelings of a bad day, or even a good one. Feelings aren't facts. Tomorrow is another day. :smile:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Just remember that it's long term. There are going to be good days and there are going to be bad days. If you give up every time you have a bad day, you might never get to your goal, so you have to keep going! Even if today sucks, it will be worth it in the long run.

+1
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm human. I have bad days. They improve a bit though if I go work on the heavy bag, hit the gym, or go for a run.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Usually when I go log whatever I thought was a "bad" day I find it wasn't so much numbers wise. That usually straightens me out.
  • eustaciavye
    eustaciavye Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Some days it just isn't easy at all. I think accepting that life is not perfect and that you can't be perfect either really helps -- I know it helps me. Being kind to yourself, eliminating negative self-talk, can really help too. And friends -- venting with your buddies can be very helpful.
  • ladeelamb01
    Options
    I work with the public everyday in my job...fast-food..most of my days are filled with rude and cranky people.. but I have decided that my son, kaleb is my motivation. So when I have a bad day, I come home and look at him. I also have family and friends that cheer me on. Do you need a friend to cheer you on? I can be that for you...Hang in there. You can do it. You are strong.. We as women are a strong gender, we bear kids...lol
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be fat anymore. Plain and simple.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had a ****ty Monday and Tuesday - My Monday workout with my coach was terrible - I felt so discouraged I textured him to apologize the next day - Tuesday was also a bad day - my lifts sucked - it was just a mess all over again and I was as close to tears as I've even been with my trainer

I went out Tuesday night - I had a few drinks - ate a good meal - slept like a dead person and to hell with the diary for a day -

Weds I took a photo and compared it to 90 days ago - look at my lifting diary from 90 days ago and remind myself that in the last 90 days not only did I compete in a lifting event for the first time but I knocked it out of the park and won my division. I reminded myself that it`s hard right now because I am training really hard because the next competition is the US nationals and my coach and trainer have faith in me that I will do well - It is easy to get wrapped up in a bad day or two - step back and look at the bigger picture.

I had a great coaching session Weds night, and killed my lifts today - don`t be your own worse enemy
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Being positive is hard for me too. I applaud your honesty and feel your pain.
    Oh how I struggle and crash when I don't see the scales move but when they do, the world just moved! I am too busy to work out and am jealous that a ton of people are motivated to take any moment of time to go.
    Most of the extra time I do have, I just want my dishes clean, laundry done, kids fed and my animals fed and then off to bed. Its all about them actually. I have realized that texting out my feelings on the community board does work. I most of the time think that I'm talking to myself anyway. But after I text, I do feel better.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm human. I have bad days. They improve a bit though if I go work on the heavy bag, hit the gym, or go for a run.

Yep, this. Working out helps me. I feel especially proud of myself for working out when I *really* don't want to. The endorphin rush, the realization that I didn't let myself down and general pride that I did something good for myself.

I'm sorry you've had a bad day. My week has been pretty sh*ttastic as well.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Being positive is hard for me too. I applaud your honesty and feel your pain.
    Oh how I struggle and crash when I don't see the scales move but when they do, the world just moved! I am too busy to work out and am jealous that a ton of people are motivated to take any moment of time to go.
    Most of the extra time I do have, I just want my dishes clean, laundry done, kids fed and my animals fed and then off to bed. Its all about them actually. I have realized that texting out my feelings on the community board does work. I most of the time think that I'm talking to myself anyway. But after I text, I do feel better.

Aww, I'm there with you. I have two kiddos that I homeschool, two doggies, I take care of all the house stuff, do all the accounting stuff for our small business and I run a non-profit agency. Some days I resent the need for exercise. I just always feel better after I do it.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    My tip is to find a workout that is enjoyable and convenient. That has made me much happier. It's the endorphins, the calorie burn, simply the time that's spend doing something away from the fridge... so many benefits.
  • FeedTheWolf
    FeedTheWolf Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't want to be fat anymore. Plain and simple.

This.

I'm more afraid of staying fat than I am of the work to get in shape. No matter how bad my day is or how horrible I feel I get the work done because I just can't stomach being fat for even a minute longer than I have to be.

I don't know if I'd call that staying positive, lol, but that's how it goes.
  • natrtaylor
    natrtaylor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that it's just for today... maybe just for today I feel ****ty. Tomorrow might be amazing and I can enjoy that then, but feeling down sucks and happens to all of us. It's just not a reason to blow my success now no matter how much my brain tries to trick me that it is!!

Thanks to all for posting, reading this helped me even though I had a good day. Perhaps I will remember when I have my ****ty day!
  • fchammer1
    fchammer1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Attitude is a funny thing. In spite of people telling us to step on the scales only once per week -- telling us that weight loss is a long range thing, etc., I find that I would rather perk myself up with several positive things during the week.

What works for me? Well, I bought a WW scale that records pounds to the decimal point and I weigh myself every morning and every night. My DAILY GOAL is to see that scale go lower (even by an ounce or two) for that, to me, is a victory! Also, if I do put on an extra ounce, it's easier to get rid of than a pound.

Since December, 2013, I have dropped over fifty pounds, have gone from 3X shirts to XL, and my 50" pants have long disappeared and the 46" pants I wear now have to be tightened to the third notch of a new 46" belt.

Add 'em all up and I've had some great weeks with a lot of little positive perks. Each ounce gone is a mood elevator. Those little perks (victories) can lighten your spirits!

Wishing you the best.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in April. I was a real kick in the teeth but it was also an amazingly positive experience: I now have a reason behind the odd sensations I'd had after eating or when I got too a lot of exercise. There are days I feel very resentful of my new way of life. Not only is my life changed forever, but eating has gotten very complicated. I stay positive by celebrating every pound I lose--each one brings me closer to the possibility of getting off the metformin. I give myself non-food rewards and remind myself of how some things have actually gotten more enjoyable. When I walk my client dog, a Siberian husky, I can now manage to keep up with her and not start panting or feeling faint halfway through our hour-long walk. It's the little things that keep me positive and that provide me with the armor I need on days when life is getting me down or when my met is kicking my butt. :D
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Just realize that things always get better no matter how bad the situation gets.

Regardless of what is going in in your life change will happen, it's inevitable. We all have good days, bad days, tragedy, disaster etc. Attitude is everything.

Know that this journey is not an overnight fix. You just have to keep going with it no matter what happens. It's difficult but you can do it.

Be well :smile:
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Do something for someone else. Putting others needs above your own does wonders. Makes you see things aren't as bad as you thought, and you are not alone. Everyone struggles, but no one should struggle alone. Oh, and smile.... it's contagious :)