Asking Advice to Optimize My Weight Loss

Options
I am doing well on my weight loss. I have lost 40 pounds since January 6, 2014 via primarily calorie restriction using myfitnesspal. I do some RIPPED cardio (kind of like P90X) twice a week. Weight came off really steadily since January up until the last month. Now I am barely getting 1 pound a week though I am being very careful on my diet. I have it set for 2 pounds a week, 1410 calories a day (5'9", 230, goal 180). I routinely come in under and don't eat my exercise calories. I am worried that I am not eating enough calories and maybe I am going a bit into fat-saving mode. I know I should be happy I am losing weight and that some people are struggling to lose at all, but I am curious whether anyone has any experience with this and how to kick the fat-burning up a notch. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hon, can you open your diary? It's hard to know what's going on without seeing what you're doing.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. you are quite a bit taller than me, so it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little.

I am currently on 1800, and still losing weight. 1410 sounds ridiculously low for you. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think its a combination of not eating enough and not having as much left to burn. The closer you get to goal the harder it is to drop the weight!

I would recommend eating at least your daily limit if not also some of your exercise calories. If nothing else, playing around with adding more calories into your diet can shake your body of the idea you're dying and help it shed the weight again. :)
  • TheChuDog
    TheChuDog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your comments. I am going to try to stick closer to my calories limit and not worry if I go a little over. I think I am so cognizant of trying to stay under and then I stay under and it make me feel successful but not realizing I may be at too much of a calorie deficit that way. I will also check out those sites referenced. Thanks again!