Always over on Protein

Options
What does it mean when you're always over on your protein but under on everything else????

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Don't have an answer but just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat as you. I'm doing cardio everyday but no strength training so I hope its ok to be over on the protein.
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Several people on the board said that MFP's protein goals are set low, so unless you have kidney problems you should be fine!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    How far over on protein are you? I do think that MFP undershoots the protein number anyway.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Even if the protein is set a little low I'd try to stick as close to that goal as possible. Too much protein can be bad for you. I would look at the foods you're eating and make little adjustments. If you eat two eggs in the morning, just eat one. Reduce the serving size of meats, beans or tofu that you eat. And definitely eat more fruits and vegetables. Reducing the amount of dairy you consume will help as well.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    "Too much protein can be bad for you."

Protein isn't bad for you, stop being scared of it. Maybe if you're taking like 4 times your bodyweight. MFP defaults to like 60% carbs or something ridiculous, the risks associated with carbohydrate overload seem far more serious than eating over the crazy low number of protein that MFP sets up for you.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Protein is a source of energy, just like carbs and even sugar. To be over on protein is not a big deal unless you are on a protein restrictive diet for certain medical conditions. Curious how you are getting your protein though. Is it from lean meat, or protein shakes etc. And how far over are you?
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maybe this might help:
    How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day
  • wh0a_is_me
    Options
    I have the same problem..which is kind of bizarre to me - but I think it comes from the Whole Wheat bread I eat, peanut butter..and um.. that's all I can think of, lol.. the occasional Tuna & Eggs also.

It was actually eye opening for me though, because I've been having stomach/digestive issues since February, and I'm starting to think it's because I eat too much protein and not enough water to digest it (I'm so bad with getting enough water for the day, I just forget to drink, unless I'm working out) - so that's something you might want to be weary of.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    to substain muscle that you already have while doing a decent amount of cardio you should intake .8-1gram of protein per body weight in lbs.

IE 200 lbs =200 grams

I right now and gaining mass at a decent pace so I consume 1.5 grams per lb.

Body builders take in 2-4 grams per pound.

PROTEIN IS NOT BAD FOR YOU.....the default of carbs and protin on MFP is a joke. I tell people to stick with 40/40/20 and when you are down to your last 5-10 lbs to lose then change it to 50/30/20.
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar question about fat. I have to think if you are going to be over in any one category, protein is best.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    to substain muscle that you already have while doing a decent amount of cardio you should intake .8-1gram of protein per body weight in lbs.

IE 200 lbs =200 grams

PROTEIN IS NOT BAD FOR YOU.....the default of carbs and protin on MFP is a joke. I tell people to stick with 40/40/20 and when you are down to your last 5-10 lbs to lose then change it to 50/30/20.

That's a myth passed down by the supplement companies the protein we eat is good enough.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krtiw5waAVg

I stopped taking tons of extra protein and I'm losing the fat now that I had issues with.
    I was taking 180-200mg daily now im at just one shake and thats right after my workout only.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Check out that guys videos he's taught me a lot that I didnt know.
    I was drinking tons of protein then I stopped and now I'm doing better dude.

He says drinks and food don't give you muscles, a dose of Iron does as in lifting weights.
    I started making sure I take in enough carbs though atleast 200
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you drinking enough water then heck no too much protien isnt bad. Eat plenty of fibrous carbs too. You are suppose to eat approx. your body weight in grams of protien anyway. The only thing I have noticed about this sight is that it gives you the option to gain weight but only if your underweight and need to gain fat Im guessing. Not if you want to BUILD MUSCLE. To maintain your muscle while losing fat it is important to keep the protien high and according to how they have your macros calculated here to lose weight it is always showing that Im over on protien as well. Luckily I know thats good (where my number is) I wouldnt stress it at all. Its a plus anyway. But try to get most of your protien, vitamins, etc. from your meals (real food) if possible.
  • DeeMonjure2B
    Options
    Good luck by the way.
    :)
  • DeeMonjure2B
    Options

IE 200 lbs =200 grams

My sentiments exactly! Way to go man!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

IE 200 lbs =200 grams

That's a myth passed down by the supplement companies the protein we eat is good enough.

I stopped taking tons of extra protein and I'm losing the fat now that I had issues with.
    I was taking 180-200mg daily now im at just one shake and thats right after my workout only.
    Funny...I have clinical studies that show the benefits of taking protein. You got a guy on youtube. Congrats on your weight loss though.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options

IE 200 lbs =200 grams

Funny...I have clinical studies that show the benefits of taking protein. You got a guy on youtube. Congrats on your weight loss though.

That's just my opinion and the guy on youtube helped me achieve my weight loss when i was stuck at 200lb for months.
    I'm always willing to try peoples advice atleast once then just goin by what everyone else says.

The few guys I personally know that workout take tons of protein and are big but mostly cause their fat.
    Im going for a more ripped look so cutting out all the protein shakes help.

Carbs fuel the repair of the muscle and Protein is pretty much the building block.
    You dont need tons of it, and if you wanna get bigger muscle lift heavier weights.
    All those extra shakes is added calories IMO.

"Protein is not bad" but too much protein will just get stored as Fat if your not working out hard enough.

And thanks I'm almost at my goal =) I might go for a extra 10 pounds after I reached my goals.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar question about fat. I have to think if you are going to be over in any one category, protein is best.

I personally think it's best to be over in fiber if you are going to everyday go over in something. The average adult should eat 26 grams a day default MFP is 14 (so wayyyyyyy to low)

I too am most often over in protein and fibre (since I try to be over in fibre) and those 2 don't worry me one bit. I do weight lift though every day and do cardio as well.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    More protein is definitely better. MFP default ratios should be tweaked for your own goals. Though I will not point you to any Youtube videos, I have spent way too much of my time studying this, and also collecting empirical evidence through my own experiences. I find a healthy balance between good carbs, good fats and proteins works really well for me. My weight may not drop down as fast, but my body fat % does (which should be most people's goal). Essentially i am building muscle with the proteins. I strive for a 35/35/30 ratio. We should also not be overly concerned about fats (healthy fats that is). They are important for your brain and metabolic processes. Don't sweat fats from fish, nuts, etc. Stay away from greasy foods and a higher daily fat % is healthy. Just balance them all under your calorie goal.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

IE 200 lbs =200 grams

Very untrue.....on your behalf. If you decide to deplete the body of protein in the bloodstream during a anabolic or catabolic type workout then the body will start to scavenge muscle for fuel.

Secondly I never said anything about "shakes" I said PROTEIN. I never recommend shakes. I only consume natural proteins not man made whey or casein outside of maybe once a day if that.

Look at my log if you don't believe me.

PS I don't think a Harvard based Masters Thesis/Study would be a "myth"

http://www.thedietdoc.com/info-tdd.php?nav_ID=46&nav_Parent=26