Need suggestions on weight training

Options
mghollis
mghollis Posts: 29 Member
My dad's health is failing due to multiple complications from diabetes, and 8 different strokes. I started running last year to run away from diabetes. :laugh: We have decided to move within the year to help with his health care (no job offers, so no timeline yet). I know I need to add strength training for running, but also I'm going to need to be able to deadlift around 200 pounds of weight because my dad has no strength when he falls down. :noway:

Knowing that we're moving but not knowing when, would you join a gym and lift weights there, possibly with a trainer, or would you invest in your own equipment? DH has been wanting to get some for about 2 years. I don't want to move them. :laugh:

And if you lift, do you use free weights and why? And what exercises/resources/videos would you recommend? (DH is insisting I do squats. My knees are mad at him. :angry: )

I have a little knowledge about lifting, but like I told DH this morning, it's equivalent to having to put together a jigsaw puzzle without a picture, and that's been mixed up with about 5 other puzzles. I told him I would like to use a trainer, because they have the picture! :laugh:

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. :smile:

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Knowing that we're moving but not knowing when, would you join a gym and lift weights there, possibly with a trainer, or would you invest in your own equipment?

I'd start with a gym for a few months. Then based on your experience & preferences with equipment, you can get your own equipment if you want. Personally i prefer the diversity of equipment at the gym.
    Working with a good trainer is a bonus. Google "finding a good personal trainer" before investing in one.
    And if you lift, do you use free weights and why?

Freeweights & cable machines. They're more ergonomically correct than regular machines.
    And what exercises/resources/videos would you recommend?

For you, New Rules of Lifting for Life. I like how it's not just about strength but also the other components of fitness - agility, balance, coordination, etc. All of these may come in handy when picking up your dad. :bigsmile:

By the way, try wide-stance squats. They're usually knee-friendlier than regular squats.
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How about Planet Fitness? do they have one in your area? You can become a member and when you move you can transfer your membership if they have one close to where you are moving. It is only $10.00 a month or $20.00 for the black card and they have people to help you with your program.
  • mghollis
    mghollis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate it.