Baked Chicken and a Side of Frustration

Options
2»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just as a side point, maybe you need to do other stuff with the kids instead of making your together time about restaurants... take a picnic to the zoo/aquarium, or a sporting event, or a bike ride along the beach walk, or going to the pool, etc. If they are seriously resistant, for the first while get takeout for the kids and pack your own. Not denigrating your parenting, since I don't have kids, but that is how my folks raised my brother & I - we did other things for family time instead of restaurants all the time. Have the kids participate in a savings project - ie: put the money aside that you would have spent at the restaurant regularly for a family outing, something as simple as tickets to a game - if they aren't great with patience - or even a trip to Disneyland, Mexico, overseas if they are OK with 'long range planning'. We went to Europe when I was 8 and my brother was 6 doing it this way. An experience I will never forget, and it set me up for a love of travel for the rest of my life.

spelling edit
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A lot of sodium on salads comes from the dressing, cheese and croutons. Order a plain dinner salad and use vinegar and oil, which restaurants always have if you ask.
    Also, order other plain items and foods made fresh to order, request no salt. Anything they make in bulk, like veggie sides, will already be salted.
    A grilled piece of fish or chicken, no sauce or seasonings. I order sauce on the side so that I can control the amount.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A lot of sodium on salads comes from the dressing, cheese and croutons. Order a plain dinner salad and use vinegar and oil, which restaurants always have if you ask.
    Also, order other plain items and foods made fresh to order, request no salt. Anything they make in bulk, like veggie sides, will already be salted.
    A grilled piece of fish or chicken, no sauce or seasonings. I order sauce on the side so that I can control the amount.
    Today I have a going away party at 11:30 and dinner with friends at a Mexican restaurant with to-die for food. It's going to be a tough day but I've already scheduled my gym time so that will help. Swimming laps for 30 minutes and Rowing should make a difference.
    The only way that I can make it through eating at a good restaurant is to check the menu and decide ahead of time. The party isn't too hard, I just don't like most party foods so I stick to fruits and veggies.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love going out to eat and I am a great cook! This is a meal where I don't have to prep, serve or clean up after. That is all that matters to me.