Methodology in diet

Options

Replies

• sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    counting calories will generally tend to be the 'best' choice for the many, especially if results are not being seen without accurate tracking.

Results and tracking really are key, and I think they should be kept as simple as possible. For the first two years of my journey, I saw results via a method that did not involve counting calories, using a food or bathroom scale, or even consistent exercise. I just changed my diet and did a bit of mindfulness practice while eating. Calorie counting was not sustainable for me during that time period. Having some solid rules of thumb for "eat this, not that, and if you slip up, oh well, just get back on track the next time you eat" was. I needed to work through emotional eating, hunger/fullness signals, and a whole bunch of crazy stressful life things that were happening at the time.

After two years my life had changed -- I was not as busy or stressed, but I had stopped seeing weight loss progress, so I increased my results tracking by buying a scale and taking measurements. They confirmed the lack of progress, which led to me looking into consistent food logging and regular resistance exercise. I now have a month's worth of data with which to make more targeted decisions about what actions I want to take to achieve my goals.

The ultimate need for weight loss is to create a reasonable deficit and keep the weight off sustainably. There are many methodologies people can use to do that. Which one works best for them (i.e. is sustainable) is going to be determined by what appeals to their personality, what is feasible in their current life circumstances, and their own personal preferences and prejudices.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    We have chatted about this before so I know you know I agree that calorie counting is not always the best approach for some people. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say (not sure who 'they are' though). Personal preference and context are probably the most, or at least one of the most important considerations as to the 'best' approach for many different aspects of nutrition, as well as training for that matter.

Personally, I usually calorie count when cutting as this approach works for me. It does not 'take over' nor is it really a chore. I like to be as accurate as possible so I can ensure that my diet is as effective as possible (including getting enough protein and being able to ignore water weight fluctuations as I know I am in a deficit). However, at times, and when I am maintaining, whether planned or just because I need a break), I often do not track as I feel I need a mental break, especially if I have a lot of things going on outside diet and nutrition. I maintained my weight for years without tracking (or only sporadically tracking) and it worked for me. That being said, my approach is personal to me - it works for me and it does not cause me to have an unhealthy relationship with food that it can do for some.

I would add however, that outside circumstances when counting calories can lead to negative behavioral issues, counting calories will generally tend to be the 'best' choice for the many, especially if results are not being seen without accurate tracking.

This is pretty much where I am too. I usually track when I'm maintaining but not with as much accuracy. I don't find counting to be a chore.

My husband finds calorie counting to be tedious and he spends half of his time on a submarine with little control over his food. For him, exercising and learning moderation and estimation are a better strategy. But while he's home he logs/weighs in order to keep his estimation skills sharp and so that he will be on the lower end of his preferred weight range before he goes back underway.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    GREAT post side steel. Thanks.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It's such a mind game isn't it? I have been counting calories for two years now and have successfully lost weight and maintained. I have tried 2 other methods in the past and they have worked also (low fat, 30 minutes of daily high intensity cardio, and 5 - 6 "clean" meals a day, higher protein, lifting 3x a week and HIIT) but within three to five years, I slowly morphed back to my old habits and gained the weight back. I'm at about the two year mark now. I basically just track and lately, I have been over eating most days. I have averaged about 200 - 400 calories a day over TDEE and while I haven't gained significantly yet, it's just a matter of time if I keep this up. I guess only time will tell if this is the plan that works for me.

Btw. I am starting to focus on eating an extra salad or vegetable a few times a week and going to bed earlier to help with TDEE adherence. I have also been consciously increasing my NEAT to avoid weight gain, just based on who I am and what I know about me.

The way we tweak counting calories to make it work for us, and the methods we use, has to vary from person to person. I think the key to a successful plan is being able to separate emotional thinking from a rational understanding of who we are. It is far easier to be successful if we *know* ourselves, can come up with our own goals, and be patient. Unfortunately, feelings about body image, eating, dieting and self-esteem are very difficult to untangle.

I think it's the trainer's job to get an objective picture of the client and have a variety of different approaches in their back pocket that they think will be effective with a particular client. I believe that a trainer who can tease the best method out of the client by asking intentional questions that lead to client based solution would be more effective than just prescribing a diet and program they they think best. Then, the main and most valuable work the trainer can do is: help with patience and adherence, build relationship, and share expertise.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Awesome post - counting worked really well for me for a long time (2 years plus) I loved the numbers and feedback, but got to a point in my life that I did not want to keep thinking about food as numbers.

I have been " not counting" for more than a year now - but I could do that because I have a fundamental understanding of the numbers after years of tracking everything - I eat natural (very little processed / packaged) - and most of the time pretty standard meals - so I still understand my macros, and calorie intake even though I don't track....

Agree with Sara - when I need to cut I will track for a while to understand the impact of my "changing" numbers....

I have tried to help quite a few people that seems to really struggle getting their head around counting / tracking everything..... Some manage to get their head around the concept - others just give up....

There are definitely people that respond much better to methodologies that prescribes " protein as big as your palm, one cup of carbs, fat as big as your thumb and two cups of vegetables...." as a guideline . For those wanting to react to this - I am just using it as an example - not saying it is a true eating plan!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I just want to know, is Sexypants being recalled?

Personally in my dealings with people on this site, I assume they have chosen a calorie counting approach and so the conversations are usually about how to do it successfully. No, I do not believe calorie counting is the only way to lose weight. In fact, most of us probably lost a good bit of weight before calorie counting
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In for later
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. And I really appreciate you putting this into a separate thread so to not derail another discussion. We all need to remember to do it that way (myself included). Thank you for leading by example.

I'm a nerd too, I love tracking stuff. But I've learned over the years that various systems of my body exist to protect me and tell me how to live (like instinct). And I want to refine these systems, not forgo them in place of logging every little thing. Modern science and technology is wonderful, until it fails and you've forgotten how to live without it.

That's part of what appeals to me about paleo diets. Modern processed foods are designed to make you want more. I've seen in my own experience how these foods can trick my appetite. Eating real food is more satisfying, so I don't have to eat so much and I'm much less likely to overeat.

But I also know myself well enough to realize I probably can't maintain a deficit for more than a couple days if I'm not tracking. I just hope that I'll be able to do it once I reach maintenance.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Great post! :drinker:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried all the plans, including previous attempts at calorie counting. This time around, it finally clicked for me. But this is also the first time I've tracked calories eaten and calories burned. I eat TDEE, but still seeing the data for calories in / calories out helped the pieces fall into place in my brain. (No the 20 minute walk I took after dinner didn't actually burn off the 3 pieces of pizza I just ate.) Even though I don't "eat back" my exercise calories, tracking them helps me be mindful of the choices I make - heck yeah this cookie is worth the 4 mile run it would take to burn it off. I won't necessarily go run 4 miles if I eat the cookie, but when I'm deciding whether or not it's worth the calories at least I made an informed decision. My goal is to eventually not have to track & to be able to eat intuitively. I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was when I started.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Personally in my dealings with people on this site, I assume they have chosen a calorie counting approach and so the conversations are usually about how to do it successfully. No, I do not believe calorie counting is the only way to lose weight. In fact, most of us probably lost a good bit of weight before calorie counting

Sexypants must never be recalled. I remember some equally helpful threads when I first started here that I can't find anymore. Sexy pants must remain, as must ....(corn?) .used my man parts as a speedbag. (I think it was corn)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    In to read in the morning.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Great post. I tracked consistently for over two years and it was the best thing I could have done for all my fitness goals. I wish it was something that was taught to everyone in health classes.

As I got used to how much I could eat, and got a better understanding of serving sizes and calorie and macro contents of the foods I normally eat, I naturally started logging less and less. First it was a couple of meals I just did not feel like breaking down into their ingredients to log. Then it was weekends where I was away and eventually I was jsut skipping days and whole weeks.

I have not logged for months now and I have maintained my weight between 170-175 that whole time.

I would really like to be leaner and will probably start logging again once I decide to commit to it. I would want to make sure I am eating as much as I can and still meet my goals.

A year ago I would have been scared of the idea of no longer logging my food and having the weight come back on. Not a big concern anymore because I still have the knowledge I gained from logging all that time. I know when my weight is going to be up and know how much I need to cut back to get it back in line without logging anymore.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Regarding the sexypants thread, I still stand by that post as being full of useful and good information.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Regarding the sexypants thread, I still stand by that post as being full of useful and good information.
    Sexypants is a GREAT place for folks to start.
  • TheWorstHorse
    TheWorstHorse Posts: 185
    Options
    bump. read later.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Sexypants is a GREAT place for folks to start.

I guess I don't see the two as being incongruous.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I saw the original posting, but I love how that poster talked about what worked for him/her. I think it causes an uproar when people start projecting what works for them on to others with assertions that their own way is the only way.

Personally, calorie counting, weighing food, and tracking has been a lifesaver for me because just eyeballing has gotten me into a lot of trouble. However, my beau, who is also on a weight loss journey and tracked on MFP for awhile, is excellent at eyeballing. If he says something is a half cup, it indeed is. If he says it's two ounces, he's right. I don't have the ability. I would go crazy not tracking, but that may change someday. I don't know--the last time I stopped counting calories I gained weight over a five year period,

I think the bottom line is that weight loss is calories in/calories out but how this is accomplished is best achieved via personal preference. I don't believe in diets that claim to make you lose weight, but I do believe in designing your dietary plan to suit your own needs, and this may not fit into the conventional "eat what you like as long as you stay under your calorie goal" model.