I kicked the tobacco habit 16 months ago. Sugar is next.

I'm 51 years old and I had been smoking for 25 years. When I quit the weight gain was an expected side effect. It wasn't just because I used food to fight the cravings. My resting heart rate dropped about 15 beats per minute. I gained 32 lbs. I am going to do this slowly but methodically and consistently If I can lose 1/2 a pound a week, that will take it off at the same rate I gained it.
Words of encouragement are appreciated and anyone who wants a little mutual support I will give it freely.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Sugar=/=Nicotine
  • pythagarus
    pythagarus Posts: 16
    The fact that I enjoyed smoking made it tough. I love sugar. This is almost mission impossible, My morning coffee was a Large triple triple. Yesterday I changed it to a double double. Baby steps. Chocolate raises your heart rate enough to burn off as much as you eat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    As long as you don't have insulin sensitivity or other metabolic issues and you have a daily caloric deficit, there is nothing wrong with sugar.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Any reason you're cutting sugar?

Way to go on the quitting! I stopped 7 months ago.
  • ozcruise
    ozcruise Posts: 2
    Congratulations on quitting smoking, it's a tough thing to do but it is a wonderful freedom to achieve.

It's not easy to quit sugar but is a whole lot easier than quitting smoking!

When I quit sugar I also quit coffee and dairy, I just found it easier to completely quit. I know that sounds tough but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it sounds. I did find I felt ill for the first few days, this was my withdrawal then after that it was so easy.

When I felt I needed something sweet I ate fruit, this made the transition really so much easier. As the body seemed very happy with the choice, seemed so satisfied and I wasn't feeling the withdrawal as I had anticipated.
  • pythagarus
    So far I have cut my morning coffee from an extra large triple triple to a large double double and now its a medium regular. I have been drinking a lot more water than ever and so far that much is working. As for why I am cutting sugar, nothing I have read anywhere has anything good to say about it's effect on the human body. It seems to be the engine that drives the mechanism for inflammation. Inflammation seems to be at the root of most diseases and illnesses. They don't call refined sugar "the white death" for nothing.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Nicotine = addictive substance not needed by the body.

Sugar = non addictive substance required by the body.

You can't quit sugar, you can cut back, not necessary without a medical reason to do so.

Eating at a calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    More sugar and inflammation for me!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    The fact that I enjoyed smoking made it tough. I love sugar. This is almost mission impossible, My morning coffee was a Large triple triple. Yesterday I changed it to a double double. Baby steps. Chocolate raises your heart rate enough to burn off as much as you eat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, sugar PLUS fat (like the combo in chocolate) make things like this super irresistible. But you can do it. I don't recommend baby steps though. Let MFP help you decide on a healthy calorie deficit and just do it.
  • pythagarus
    There is so much information / mis-information out there, but if you can trust that anyone has the data to back it up I will defer to Harvard on his. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eating-too-much-added-sugar-increases-the-risk-of-dying-with-heart-disease-201402067021
  • QuietBloom
    So far I have cut my morning coffee from an extra large triple triple to a large double double and now its a medium regular. I have been drinking a lot more water than ever and so far that much is working. As for why I am cutting sugar, nothing I have read anywhere has anything good to say about it's effect on the human body. It seems to be the engine that drives the mechanism for inflammation. Inflammation seems to be at the root of most diseases and illnesses. They don't call refined sugar "the white death" for nothing.

Actually, sugar drives the mechanism that is your body. It's fine if you want to cut it down, but you could never cut it out completely. As far as 'white death'? I have never heard that one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mi2mina
    mi2mina Posts: 24 Member
    i quit over 4 months ago and i have gained between 5 pounds.....but i definitely have a sweet toothe craving now , but i try to fight it off with tea..... now ...you can do it , quitting smoking was the best thing i could ever have done for myself . i bet you feel great tho.
  • QuietBloom
    There is so much information / mis-information out there, but if you can trust that anyone has the data to back it up I will defer to Harvard on his. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eating-too-much-added-sugar-increases-the-risk-of-dying-with-heart-disease-201402067021

That is an opinion from a blog writer, not a doctor. And is certainly not Harvard's medical opinion on it, if there was such a thing.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Is a life without sugar a life you really want to lead or would you rather have it in moderation? There's really no reason to cut out sugar and I say this as a peri-menopausal woman with insulin resistance who is recovering from binge eating disorder. Moderation, not depravation is the way to go.

As for quitting smoking -- hooray! Having been there myself, I know how hard it is. Congratulations!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Chocolate raises your heart rate enough to burn off as much as you eat.
    Score!!! I never realized Chocolate was a neutral calorie food!
  • Juniper1221
    Juniper1221 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi Pythagarus. Congratulations on quitting smoking! I recently quit smoking too and also gained weight as a result of quitting that's why I recently started coming here to help me track my calories and lose weight. Good luck to you, losing weight is much easier than quitting smoking IMO.
  • Lila204
    Lila204 Posts: 5 Member
    Well done on kicking your smoking addiction and I hope you can kick sugar as well if that is your goal!xx
  • pythagarus
    It is reporting on an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association and was written by the following doctors.
    Added Sugar Intake and Cardiovascular Diseases Mortality Among US Adults
    Quanhe Yang, PhD1; Zefeng Zhang, MD, PhD1; Edward W. Gregg, PhD2; W. Dana Flanders, MD, ScD3; Robert Merritt, MA1; Frank B. Hu, MD, PhD4,5
  • QuietBloom
    It is reporting on an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association and was written by the following doctors.
    Added Sugar Intake and Cardiovascular Diseases Mortality Among US Adults
    Quanhe Yang, PhD1; Zefeng Zhang, MD, PhD1; Edward W. Gregg, PhD2; W. Dana Flanders, MD, ScD3; Robert Merritt, MA1; Frank B. Hu, MD, PhD4,5

Interestingly enough, their findings are a good example of correlation does not equal causation. Here is another example of that, using real numbers:

2crq16h.jpg
  • pythagarus
    I'm not saying it something I believe firmly. There are too many people that take things on blind faith. I am open to the possibility that someday science will find the cure for cancer is the correct proportion of caffeine, nicotine, whisky , bacon and chocolate.