Paleo

Options
Hello, back on MFP and I've been seeing lots of post from Paleo on Facebook and I wanted to know if anyone had any feed back on this; good bad or neutral.... someone who is currently doing it or has in the past. What were your feelings before , during and after the changes that took place (if any), and did you go back to eating carbs thinks like that would help me greatly Any feedback would be great!

I believe in "Everything in moderation" so the post I see from this Paleo site I agree with 110% with but not sure im willing to totally give up carbs and live off meats, fruits and eggs....

Jen

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hello, back on MFP and I've been seeing lots of post from Paleo on Facebook and I wanted to know if anyone had any feed back on this; good bad or neutral.... someone who is currently doing it or has in the past. What were your feelings before , during and after the changes that took place (if any), and did you go back to eating carbs thinks like that would help me greatly Any feedback would be great!

I believe in "Everything in moderation" so the post I see from this Paleo site I agree with 110% with but not sure im willing to totally give up carbs and live off meats, fruits and eggs....

Jen

You will get a lot of negative feedback here regarding Paleo. Here are my thoughts both good and bad. While I generally stay away from any type of "diet" especially ones that eliminate whole food groups, I did give it a try.
    I don't believe in the basis behind it. I do believe it can be a healthy diet even though it eliminates dairy and grains. It focuses on good protein sources, fat in take and lots of veggies which a lot of people lack. I don't think it is "necessary" to do Paleo to be healhty, I just mean it can be a healthy diet as well.
    Paleo is not magic for weight loss. It can help people lose weight because they tend to eliminate the foods they overeat. But, with the layout of the food plan, you can easily make up for those calories if you aren't careful. Plans like the Whole 30 give you guidelines on how to build your meals which is pretty good.
    I followed the Whole 30 for a month (because my husband wanted to and he always goes along with me so I did it for him). I was not too keen on trying it and did not expect much. I was surprised that I actually like it. I enjoyed the food, I didn't miss other stuff, I was not miserable. After the Whole 30 we continued to build our meals around that idea although I did not consider myself "paleo" and I still use a lot of the recipes to this day.

Also - Paleo is not and was not meant to be low carb. It is lower carb than the average SAD. Some people end up being low carb but it isn't meant to be.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are some good things in paleo eating, like avoiding processed foods and refined sugars. It promotes cooking from fresh ingredients using lots of vegetables, good fat and protein sources. It's not low carb. But i don't agree with eleminating whole food groups like dairy, legumes and grains. I tried it for almost a year with exception of dairy. i felt great and lost some weight. After a while i started questioning ideas behind eleminating whole food groups. Right now i would still have most of my meals very paleo like - meat of fish with lots of different vegetables, but i would also add a bit of legumes or whole grains like rice and quinoa.
    I hope you like cooking and exploring new recepies. otherwise paleo type of eating can get really boring. I think it's worth to try it for at least a month without concentrating too much of all that caveman idea.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My coworker has been paleo for almost 2 months now. He seems to like it a lot and lost quite a bit of weight, I wanna say close to 20lbs now. I personally don't like anything so restrictive such as "you can never eat this, only eat that" and it gets expensive to buy the alternative items. I just watch my carb intake more than anything.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    What's the principle behind "paleo"? Is it, as the name suggests, something to do with what primitive humans ate?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I would strongly urge you to ask the Paleo group on MFP here this question.

%99 of MFP'ers are strict calorie counters or IIFM'ers.

They are no-go on Paleo!
  • Zardeenah
    Zardeenah Posts: 15
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

It's called debunking the paleo diet, but it isn't bashing it. Just the way it's being presented.