hello, im ashley, and im a foodaholic.

Options
I need some good meal/snack recipes that are easy and not very time consuming. I currently am going to nursing school full time and work full time, and I make a lot of unhealthy choices which I tell myself is because I don't have the time to deal with food and exercise. I feel like I am at an all time low. I have been on and off myfitnesspal for quite a while and just can't get the hang of it! I was proud of myself for running my first 5k a week and a half ago without any training. I ran it in 42 mins, which I didn't think was bad for not running at all before. I got this awesome high from running and you would think that would have motivated me to continue, but here I sit a week and a half later thinking all I want is chinese food and to nap because I'm exhausted!!

Anyways, I'm going to give this another shot! My first day is going to start tomorrow. I am signing up at the gym and going to start running. My goal is to lose 26lbs by my 26th birthday (October 24, 2011). If anyone has any great ideas for food let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• AmandaJB1
    AmandaJB1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley. I can totally sympathize with your frustration. I am 5-7.5 and weighed 136 before getting pregnant with our oldest daughter and magically dropped back to 140 within 8 wks. with no effort. This past summer I gave birth to our second daughter and its been almost four months and I am still 20 lbs. from being back to my ideal weight. My husband is the sole provider for our family and works very long hours and has a long commute so needless to say with two kids and no time for myself working out isn't an option. What kills me is I have a sweet tooth and with having a toddler snacks are always in the house. So far what I have found to work for myself is I buy snacks that won't break my diet. Weight Watchers snacks or South Beach snacks are very common at the stores. Splenda instead of sugar...forcing water instead of anything else. I do allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning. Bananas or fruit with a little peanut butter for extra protien. If you have to catch lunch or dinner on the fly try sandwiches with whole wheat bread and lots of veggies substitute turkey or chicken for ham or beef. Almost all fast foods now offer salads. Try to avoid foods that are cooked with calories added like fried, or covered in cheese. I also like low fat yogurt and 2% string cheese as handy snacks. I am also 25 and know how it feels to see other 20 something year olds and just feel disappointed in yourself, but no worries you can do this. Its all about setting yourself up to succeed. The biggest part is making sure you grocery shop when food is running low. If there are ready available things on hand you're less likely to stray. Also take the stairs at work or power walk to class or around the building during a long break to amp up a little aerobic exercise. When you wake up do 5 lb. weight arm exercises and squats combined. These little differences will make a huge impact.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am a FOODIE too. Love to eat and drink. If it was easy no one would be overweight! Make your best choices and move on. Good luck
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Hi Ashley,
    Welcome back. :)
    I'm struggling a bit with this too, so feel a bit hypocritical giving advice. My go to snack is CARROTS and HUMMUS. I get the big one pound bag of baby carrots and split them into 3-4 sandwich baggies so they're easier to grab and go. And the hummus fills me up better than yogurt.

I also try to make soup or stew on the weekend and freeze in single serving sandwich baggies. If frozen flat, they thaw easily and my recipes are healthier than the cafeteria at work. EatingWell.com has lots of good recipes.

Good luck and feel free to drop a line anytime.