Alcohol's effect on next day's weight?

Options
After a long night of drinking, can you expect to see weight fluctuations the next day?

I know weight fluctuates a lot on it's own, but have heard that a lot of sodium the day before will increase the number on the scale. So I was wondering if alcohol does anything like that as well.

Replies

• Graaawwwrrrr
    Options
    The dehydration could flush off a few pounds, but you shouldn't be paying too much attention to daily weight fluctuations, focusing instead on weekly trends. I'd be more worried about the complete lack of nutrients and pointless calories that you're hopefully adding to your journal. Even "clean" vodka has 65 per oz, then stuff like gin 80 per oz, beer 150 per pint, wine 200 per glass, etc. Also consider that excessive/binge drinking will seriously affect collagen levels, causing wrinkles and premature skin aging on a level similar to smoking or tanning.

This post has turned out a lot more "preachy" than intended, but there's benefits to keeping those delicious wobbly vices in check :)
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't drink that often, but when I do I see a significant gain the next day. Usually 2-5 pounds, and then its gone again in a few days.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I usually get a drop the next day, then a scary gain the day after, taking me 1-2 lb over my usual. It's a good deterrent, but I still get absolutely blasted now and again, because I'm an adult and I can. Usually though, I have the odd glass with dinner like a lady.
  • kbudd63
    kbudd63 Posts: 10
    Options
    After a night of drinking (added to my journal of course) I find I'm usually lighter, probably because of dehydration?

Its deceptive though because drinking is a lot of calories. I've also heard that drunk people eat more than they would otherwise. I believe it cuz I've done it too many times. So you drink a million calories then eat like a pig.

Therefore, although your weight might be lower the next day, you've probably drank and ate so much that you may have actually gained weight. Ergo, deceptive.

But that's also why you're not supposed to weight yourself daily :p
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    After a long night of drinking, can you expect to see weight fluctuations the next day?
    Usually, you see an immediate drop due to dehydration. A good BIA (body fat %) scale will alert you that you're hydration is off. The gain will come a day or two later, when you're rehydrated.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I tend to see a gain the next morning but that's because I get very bloated after drinking. I can feel it in my face and hands.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Minutiae
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I always see a gain after a night of drinking because I drink a TON of water when I'm drinking alcohol. And I'm pretty sure the alcohol makes me retain the water. My body loves retaining water!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    One big drawback on alcohol:
    It inhibits any fat burning until it's all burned off in the system. Alcohol is the FIRST choice the body will use as fuel till it's burned up. So the more you drink, the less fat your body utilizes for energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I always drop a lot.....then as the day goes on I gain because my body holds on to every ounce of water because it's so dehydrated. Alcohol is a diuretic so you'll usually see a huge drop then a huge gain in water weight. Usually takes me a couple days to even out!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    It inhibits any fat burning until it's all burned off in the system. Alcohol is the FIRST choice the body will use as fuel till it's burned up. So the more you drink, the less fat your body utilizes for energy.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I find that when I've had more than 2/3 my recovery from weights or training is pretty much halted. I also suspect if my tummy is upset too, I don't really absorb nutrients. Is this just my experience or factual? Also the dehydrating effect must screw with recovery too.

It's disastrous for sports, unless it's just 1 or 2 for me. No more binge drinking until the end of tri season. Please tell me more stuff so I can set my resolve!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I find that when I've had more than 2/3 my recovery from weights or training is pretty much halted. I also suspect if my tummy is upset too, I don't really absorb nutrients. Is this just my experience or factual? Also the dehydrating effect must screw with recovery too.

It's disastrous for sports, unless it's just 1 or 2 for me. No more binge drinking until the end of tri season. Please tell me more stuff so I can set my resolve!
    It's factual. Alcohol inhibits absorption of essential B vitamins and interferes with the enzymes needed to break protein down to amino acids.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Springfield1970
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's factual. Alcohol inhibits absorption of essential B vitamins and interferes with the enzymes needed to break protein down to amino acids.

IDEA Fitness member

Excellent! Is this true for small amounts of alcohol too? Please direct me to any good studies. Thank you mucho for responding!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ugh! So by committing to resistance training this week I committed to no alcohol?! I'm going to a ball game tomorrow with my girl. Tell me this doesn't apply if you drink only one beer. ;)
  • djherm2
    djherm2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Guess I better stop drinking a beer after work even though it's a light one...might be slowing down my progress
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a huge amount down the next day, due to dehydration. I'm talking 2kg down. But that's when I've actually tied one on. then I bounce back up a bit.

Honestly, I find it's what I ate while drinking that messes with my weight rather than the booze itself...
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You've received excellent responses. Two other things though. When I drink, it's usually late at night. Unless you are dancing off the "energy" consumed as alcohol, then when you pass out or sleep, the alcohol is converted to fat. You're better off drinking during the day or dancing your butt off literally.

The other aspect is that alcohol often disturbs your normal sleep patterns. This can also disturb your hormone regulation causing you to have hunger pains the next day.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Guess I better stop drinking a beer after work even though it's a light one...might be slowing down my progress

One beer probably won't make much of a difference. I gave up drinking (at least for now) because I can easily drink a fifth of Vodka/Whiskey at home or go out to the bar/'club and drink 15-20 drinks. That is at least a days worth of calories (probably more) so obviously it is not good.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm an alcoholic. The day after I would feel incredibly skinny (because I was dehydrated), but after a year of drinking every week I gained 20 pounds. Mixed drinks are so high in calories, and switching to diet coke didn't help...maybe slowed the gain but didn't prevent it. Alcohol tends to make the stomach swell. That makes it harder to digest your food, and it tends to stick to the walls and add the pounds.

If you have an alcohol problem I think it's increasingly harder to lose weight. Taking weight loss pills even paired with alcohol can have harsh effects. I could drink a half a liter of whiskey rum or vodka in 6 hours. I believe that was my record. If you want to lose weight. Stay off the drink. Unless you know you can only have a few, and don't substitute healthy calories for empty ones. It throws off you natural chemistry.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.